Author Topic: Amusing Spam Threats  (Read 10631 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Amusing Spam Threats
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2023, 02:35:36 AM »
Google has marked itself as spam twice. As both messages were shilling for google photo printing, they were right.

Photobucket finally locked me out. I left three pictures in the account to see how it was handled. One is a boat, one is a skull, and one is a bottle of "Fast Car wine". I did not buy fast car wine. I don't care for decent wine, so I figured buying big lots wine would be a bit of a loss.

They gave me one week of their PREEEEEEEEMIUM service, which as far as I could tell, did nothing. Then they threatened me for not signing up for a paid plan.

It's tapered off to a bi-weekly attempt to get me to come back... with a credit card of course. I imagine those three pictures are now ransomed behind the paywall.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2023, 09:25:28 AM »
They sent me an email a while back.
I can't begin to remember how to access my acct.  I used it to avoid hotlinking on fora.
Don't think I even have any original images on there, just stuff I pulled from elsewhere, so they can have it.

I guess you can't blame them for trying to make money.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2023, 04:58:15 PM »
you literally cannot log in to your account anymore, there is a paywall in front of it.

Like I said, I left those last three pictures as an experiment. I got another automated email today saying I need to upgrade.

I replied saying that was a very scummy way to run a business, but they never reply to emails. It is a monitored email address though, since it's not a no-reply.

So they choose not to respond to criticism.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2023, 11:55:59 AM »
Can they not even hazard a guess at my name. It's almost in the email address they're writing to:

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2023, 04:06:45 PM »
So your e-mail address is "[email protected]"?

Even with the edit that's wrong. I get no spam to my company email whatsoever. The email that gets spam is one that has been hacked many times.

Back in the good ol' days.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2023, 09:59:21 PM »
I'm not sure what they call the UK equivalent of the Internal Revenue Service (the Tax Office?) but I suspect that your agency takes data security as seriously as our IRS does.  So they would never call or email with respect to a tax issue.  They write letters instead.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2023, 12:40:32 AM »
Linkedin said I had a job offer.

So, I logged in.

It's a computer repair shop (I have experience in that field)  ...in Cheshire. (Bit of a commute, that)
Also, it wasn't a job offer; they just checked my profile.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2023, 04:08:22 AM »
I'm not sure what they call the UK equivalent of the Internal Revenue Service (the Tax Office?) but I suspect that your agency takes data security as seriously as our IRS does.  So they would never call or email with respect to a tax issue.  They write letters instead.

HMRC do send me emails, but those emails only tell me to log into my online account as I have a notification. They never discuss in the email anything related to whatever the notification says.

Logging into my online tax account is incredibly secure as it requires a lot of credentials. They cannot spoof that site, for sure.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2023, 03:44:18 AM »
unamusingly, I'm being slammed with spam. The dedicated filter is full, and some are getting to the inbox.

All the same refrain

"Hello I am FAKENAME MCFUCKFACE" and then an ID string, as if that makes them more trustworthy.

I don't open them, because of course not, but the fact they are jumping the filter is a bit alarming.

I cleared my spam box at noon, and it's now at 84 new, unique spam messages.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2023, 06:42:28 AM »
Other than blackmail for my online accounts, I've gotten mostly ads, except for the couple of Your Spotify acct is about to be deactivated and that sort of thing.  I don't use spotify. I don't want some robot deciding what I want to hear.  Thanks.

Sorry for the torrent of spam, 8ully.  I get a bunch but only scan it every few days to see if something worthy of comment comes up.  Today's was a bore.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2023, 09:33:04 AM »
Lots of ads and pfishing emails that tell me I've won something or another.  No interesting threats lately.  I guess I should be content with that, but they can be so funny.  Oh well.  I guess I'll have to look for amusement elsewhere.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2023, 08:50:24 AM »
Today's offerings were a bit more entertaining.
First, "Your Ukrainian Girl, Viviana," wants to get to know me.
Lowes Customer Service is about to have a meltdown because I keep neglecting to respond to their announcement that "you are our October winner!"
Norton is insisting that I act on the fact that my "Antivirus Subscription has expired"
And ®iCloud Storage has sent a "LAST ALERT:  ALL YOUR PHOTOS WILL BE DELETED!"  Hopefully this doesn't mean they are planning to break into my house and tear up my baby photos, too.

Then, there's the option to enhance non existent body parts, or to reduce some others that are larger than I'd like.  It's always something.  Really.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2023, 08:36:44 AM »
Today I'm advised, "Never cut out alcohol (if trying to lose weight)"  Or maybe if you are trying to forget... It's easier than joining the French Foreign Legion, I guess.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2023, 03:51:46 AM »
Pfft, iCloud. Do I look like an Apple fan?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2023, 04:30:52 AM »
Three different helpful agents breached Google's spam protection to tell me about a problem billing me for my two-year norton extention.

Which apparently costs six hundred dollars now.

I didn't use Norton when I had a free employee code to their enterprise level poo, I don't know why I would start now.

Loved ghost, but of course they ran that into the bless'ed ground.

Oddly enough, Google sent a fairly threatening email to my mom trying to get her to pay for extra storage. (She's used half of the freebie)
I thought it was spam, but it wasn't!