Author Topic: New games' lists.  (Read 21967 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
New games' lists.
« on: September 21, 2009, 02:24:54 PM »
Over time we will be introducing wiki hosted lists for our games, and before you update one of these there is an important aspect that people should be aware of.  That is that if you edit a page as a guest, your IP will be displayed in the page history.  The combat this all you have to do is register there and only your ID will show after that. I realise that many of the game players already have accounts so they have no need to worry.

Before anyone complains about this there are a number of reasons why we will need to do something like this sooner or later, as a dozen or more games' lists being copied and pasted repeatedly every day, makes no sense to the size and manageability of our database for one thing alone. But there are other benefits too and this should really be welcomed as it can only serve to keep as healthy and around for the long term.

If anyone is unsure how to edit and update these lists when they appear, then please ask one of the staff for some help.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline frankcapri

• Human
Re: New games' lists.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 02:27:50 PM »
Holy crap.  I didn't know that.  I've been updating those pages on Demonoid  :o
Size, it doesn't matter to me so long as I get it...Gotta go now.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 02:28:01 PM »
IM gonna complain!!! Oh....what the hell.....I hate them and that's that. Dont want to hear the ol "Good of the many outweigh the good of the one" speech.

Offline nouseforaname

• Neandertal
  • We all pace at our own lengths.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 02:31:34 PM »
I don't get this. Maybe it's the lack of brain I'm using since I just woke up and got this message.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 02:34:55 PM »
IM gonna complain!!!

You can always PM yourself about it, after all, any complaints I receive I am forwarding to you to deal with.

Holy crap.  I didn't know that.  I've been updating those pages on Demonoid  :o

Demonoid has tons of data added everyday and many a techie to keep the database clean - either that or it's your list updating that broke them.

I don't get this. Maybe it's the lack of brain I'm using since I just woke up and got this message.

I only did it to get you to post :)

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 02:35:17 PM »
I've never created an account cuz I've never really cared if they logged my IP.  It's not like we're doing anything illegal here.  Anyway, I'll probably create an account now.
--dweez

Offline frankcapri

• Human
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 02:37:47 PM »
IM gonna complain!!! Oh....what the hell.....I hate them and that's that. Dont want to hear the ol "Good of the many outweigh the good of the one" speech.

I don't understand.  Eventually the scoreboard can't be posted because it becomes too long. 
Before the wiki pages you'd have to click back to a previous scoreboard to check that then
check the current one.  It was actually more of a pain in the ass that way  :-\

Demonoid has tons of data added everyday and many a techie to keep the database clean - either that or it's your list updating that broke them.

I think you misunderstood what I meant by that.  My IP is directly exposed in connection with Demonoid
through those wiki pages Indie set up on Demonoid (I'm not pointing fingers at Indie here, in fact I thought
what he did was awesome). 

Anyway, my IP connected with Demonoid that intimately isn't good  :D

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 02:43:20 PM »
I think you misunderstood what I meant by that.  My IP is directly exposed in connection with Demonoid
through those wiki pages Indie set up on Demonoid (I'm not pointing fingers at Indie here, in fact I thought

Anyway, my IP connected with Demonoid that intimately isn't good  :D

I see now and damn that ambiguity thingmabob.

At least I have done you some kind of service then Frank and if you see me stoned to death on the cobbles in the morning, could you please call the fuzz to OC's house.

It's not like we're doing anything illegal here..

So you think that running through the staff room butt nekkid is within the law then?

Offline indie180

• V.I.P
  • Homo Superior
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 02:45:34 PM »

I think you misunderstood what I meant by that.  My IP is directly exposed in connection with Demonoid

Anyway, my IP connected with Demonoid that intimately isn't good  :D

Your IP is connected to Wikispace.

Offline frankcapri

• Human
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
Yeah, but I don't think it would very difficult to trace where those pages are linked to  ;D

I'm not extremely concerned about it, but if I had known before I would have made an account  ;D

At least I have done you some kind of service then Frank and if you see me stoned to death on the cobbles in the morning, could you please call the fuzz to OC's house.

Surely :D

Gotta make an account ASAP  :o

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 03:46:29 PM »
I don't understand.  Eventually the scoreboard can't be posted because it becomes too long.  
I supposed its my browser but all lists appear on my screen with a scroll bar so I dont have to see long lists.

So you think that running through the staff room butt nekkid is within the law then?
I would prefer a long stretch so you really get a good work out.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 03:48:33 PM by ohcheap1 »

Offline laama

• Homo Superior
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 03:51:13 PM »
Thanks for info.
i'm waiting for someone to start an antisocial networking site.

Offline indie180

• V.I.P
  • Homo Superior
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 03:59:50 PM »
I supposed its my browser but all lists appear on my screen with a scroll bar so I dont have to see long lists.

There is a maximum of characters you can use with a code table using BBC, so would you rather stop the game when we reach this point.

This helps with site usage to have an external source store data for free

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 04:02:27 PM »
Just do it so I can start getting used to it already.......... :P  :-*  Trying to remember who the last person I told that to.  ;)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 04:12:55 PM »
I'm not sure that code boxes couldn't grow exponentially, as that would require a declaration somewhere in the code?  But these lists become cumbersome and to hard to navigate over time, not to mention that if we ever, God forbid, lost our database, we wouldn't have to go about updating each list to get back to the point before a reload.

Besides which, I totally prefer the wiki ones..