Author Topic: Latest Movie You Watched  (Read 422344 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: Latest Movie You Watched
« Reply #2670 on: August 26, 2018, 03:10:20 AM »
Misery 1990 - still as good today as then

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2671 on: August 26, 2018, 12:05:56 PM »
War Machine  ;D ;D

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2672 on: August 27, 2018, 01:06:41 AM »
Bamboozled 2000

Tucker and dale vs evil 2010

Babysitter 2017

Big disparity between the first two, similar premise for the second two.

I had read about bamboozled while doing high school classwork, but never actually saw it. Even until now I did not know it was a Spike Lee "joint". Had I known, I would have skipped it.

Essentially, a TV producer who is ashamed of being black, deals with a white boss who likes being hood and throwing around the N-word. He tries to get fired by proposing a blackface minstrel show, which unfortunately, becomes a national hit.

There are a lot of good points, but the film wanders when it should be laser focused. A subplot rivalry between the minstrel star and producer is just confusing and ties together things for no payoff.

In a later scene, the producer is in blackface, but no reason is given, he just is. It's confusing, and they don't ever say why. He did have a heart of darkness moment BEFORE the blackface, which would have been a good spot to put that in, and there was a prior scene explaining just how bless'ed awful blackface was, so it doesn't WORK. GOT DAMNIT SPIKE!

The end of the film is unfulfilling, and one is left feeling that this was an intentional choice by the director. Skip any "Spike Lee joints".

Tucker and dale vs. Evil 2010

This movie is a doozie, and I don't think it ever misfired. It's tight, consistant, and you're never left wondering what the hell is going on, because it's illustrated in bright colors.

I think they could have done a bit more with the murder cabin, but that would have probably slowed the movie down. It's like a theme park ride filled with cruel whimsy. It's fun, even when people are dying horribly. Full stars for this movie, it's a got dang classic.

The Babysitter 2017

This one started at New Line and ended up at Netflix, and I feel it kinda shows. Horror movies have lost their souls, and we're left with poo like the golly ugly puppet, or even worse, the upcoming nun. Who is scary because of JUMPSCARE!

This movie however, is charming and fun, even if it does feel like they weren't sure where the audience was. Some of the audience winks are bless'ed fantastic, other ones are corny and pointless.

The "Twist" on teenagers being killed off one by one is fantastic, and I feel, is wonderful. It's similar to the inversion in Tucker and Dale, but does it's own thing.

Instead of whiny, the protaganist comes off as someone bravely, if not entirely realistically, dealing with a REALLY SHITTY friday night.

The warmth in the film was honestly something I thought the director, McG, was incapable of. It's a really fun film, and it will not let you down.

Tonight I'm gonna watch really schlocky and shitty 80's horror films. If any are worth a view, I'll bring it here.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2673 on: August 27, 2018, 11:10:46 AM »
I haven't seen much Spike Lee lately.
Do the Right Thing was good.  And I liked She's gotta have it.  Jungle Fever was meh.
Malcolm X was a bloated mess.  I fast forwarded through most of it.  The subject deserved better.
He seems like someone who has been spoiled by early success and who would benefit from submitting to a sympathetic, but disciplined editor.  Sadly, his inflated self confidence prevents it.  I don't feel tempted to watch his movies as a result.

Have you seen School Daze?  I am curious about that one, but the rest is just kind of tedious dull stuff.  There are more imaginative and inventive films coming out of Oakland by younger African American directors.   Those I see.  Black Panther, Sorry to Bother you, etc.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 11:12:48 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2674 on: August 28, 2018, 12:07:06 AM »
Oceans 8 - I thought the musical score was poor and it just didn't move along as smooth as the originals.
scrit and acting was ok, left it open for Danny to return

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #2675 on: August 28, 2018, 02:53:21 PM »
The newest Spider-Man.  And I really enjoyed it too, 8 outta 10 will cover that vote.  Other than that I did enjoy "deadpool2, 8 of 10"

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2676 on: August 29, 2018, 12:19:51 AM »
Terminal 2015 - mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #2677 on: August 30, 2018, 06:28:10 AM »
We saw 3 flicks while on hols: Skyscraper, Alpha and Darkest minds.

Darkest minds was a whole heap-o-crap. Both my daughter (who is 12 so it's not a generation thing) and myself couldn't wait for it to end. It was so boring and over melodramatic that had I'd not been in a cinema, I'd have bailed half way through.

Skyscraper was a lot of fun and I can't fault it. I could fault it if I'd gone to the theatre expecting great acting, a coherent storyline, some idea of whether I was watching a thriller or a comedy, but I didn't. I wanted the Rock, and I got the Rock.

Alpha was an interesting watch. Kinda really liked it, but not so much that I can remember a good deal about it.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #2678 on: August 30, 2018, 01:00:31 PM »
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

We enjoyed this movie very much, good acting and great story line.

8/10

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2679 on: September 03, 2018, 03:19:32 AM »
Don't get how anyone can stand Kevin Hart, but okay.

Jack Ryan: Shadow recruit.

Poor, middling at best. Captain Kirk (Chris Piney) Is at college when 9/11 happens. So he joins the marines, which is footnoted at best.

His helipopter gets blown up by a missile, and he gets to go to glamourous, Hollywood rehab.

Where he nets himself natalie portmans stand in, sorry, Keira Knightley, who once again attempts an American accent. Like someone got paid for her to drop some vowels. I kid you not, she had a voice coach.

For this shitty movie, where she plays damsel for five minutes, and otherwise has not significance. to the plot.

Which is, hit NY with another terrorist attack, and the stock market will be your madam.

Once again, this movie uses GASP, WHITE! terrorists for the baddie, even though the politician nets like 30 seconds of plot detail which signify NOTHING. He gets drowned in a sewer, Do not watch this movie, it is POOR.

Kevin Costner brings in a last gasp performance in which, seriously man, you're better than this. poo, the SOURCE MATERIAL is better than this.

So it's an evil russian, he has cirhossis of the liver, Kiera can't act gives him three months, his son bungles the terrorist act.

And seriously. That's it, my previous SENTENCE is the film.

Next, Jim from the office becomes Jack Ryan.

Much better than the preceeding film. Jim from the office is Jack Ryan, deal with it.

Chris pine pissed in the character, but at least Krasinsky puts in the effort Pine did not.

It's a good season. But it naffs the books, bad.

Specifically, Executive Decision  is not Fat ponytail dying, while Kurt Russell and Hale Berrry flirt on a plane, it's a hell of a book.

Specifically, Jack Ryan never has a political party stamped on his ass [He is a republican]

Demo pres makes him vice pres, against his desires.

During rah rah parade, japanese pilot slams a 747 into the capitol dome, and kills everyone.

Jack ryan is in the basement, now he is president, holy poo. CUE RAINBOW SIX!

And we get Tom Clancy jacking off how he would president.

There is a sub plot with terorists and ebola, which leads into a rah-rah politiwar, and then we nuke Iran, the end.

Sooooooo

Jack Ryan Amazon steals the ebola plot, which seriously, you can't recycle later, so they have poo in the source material.

Specifically, terrorist who loves the safety dance is radicalized in prison because he takes a sentence to protect his brother.

Which is poo writing. Don't do flashbacks if you don't have to.

So we get safety dance bin laden, or Suleiman. He hates America. But France more.

So he kills a bunch of people in france, here comes Jack Ryan!

Jack Ryan says they are using phone sim cards for cash, because he is a financial analyst, and this is his foot in the door.

Bunk from the wire replaces James Earl Jones, and he is a Muslim. HOW SHOCKING. Nevermind, it's poo.

So Jim, sorry, Jack, finds the new Bin Laden, and everyone else is stupid and naffs it up.

New Coke Bin Laden uses Ebola, which naffs THE SOURCE MATERIAL DRY.

There is some stupid poo about New Coke's family, and a drone pilot, but seriously, he just vanishes, so golly him.

New Coke makes it to America !!!!!!! seven.

And they try to kill the president!!!1111

And Jim kills new coke bin laden.

They waste the ebola plot. Like seriously, bad writers. In the source material, it was the walking dead up in America, in this show, it's a one episode plot point.

So that happened.

I don't get how they can do more clancy. In executive decision, he became president.

And in the show, he's head of, Terrorist financial analyzation and logistics.

Sooo, how the golly can they do season 2?

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2680 on: September 04, 2018, 12:48:37 AM »
Give me Homeland any day of the week.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2681 on: September 04, 2018, 08:03:17 AM »
Siberia 2018 - MMMMMMmmmmm unsure what to say really

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #2682 on: September 04, 2018, 03:50:22 PM »
We saw 3 flicks while on hols: Skyscraper, Alpha and Darkest minds.

Darkest minds was a whole heap-o-crap. Both my daughter (who is 12 so it's not a generation thing) and myself couldn't wait for it to end. It was so boring and over melodramatic that had I'd not been in a cinema, I'd have bailed half way through.

Skyscraper was a lot of fun and I can't fault it. I could fault it if I'd gone to the theatre expecting great acting, a coherent storyline, some idea of whether I was watching a thriller or a comedy, but I didn't. I wanted the Rock, and I got the Rock.

Alpha was an interesting watch. Kinda really liked it, but not so much that I can remember a good deal about it.

Not sure what this says about the film but we'd actually visited the cinema 4 times. The movie I'd forgotten to mention was The Meg. Not an awful lot to write about barring the one scene when the little girl in the underwater corridor and the shark is peering through the glass. That one short scene was worth going to the cinema for. Otherwise, supposed tough guys with strong London accents are a it old hat. At least, that's what people tell me.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2683 on: September 06, 2018, 08:57:34 AM »
Journeys end 2017 - Thankfully was spared the gruesome fighting, Men in the mud  suffering with ptsd. Interesting watch

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #2684 on: September 06, 2018, 09:15:45 PM »
kin ehhhh , so so