Author Topic: What are you doing right now?  (Read 517610 times)

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
Re: What are you doing right now?
« Reply #3000 on: April 27, 2017, 09:49:06 AM »
I only overclocked my Intel Core i7 4790K to 4.5 GHz. so I didn't go the closed loop water cooling route. Instead I went for the Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler. Cheaper (spend the money on the video card) and easier. Gaming on Ultra settings the CPU stays 50~55 °C. Think I could bump it up to ~5 GHz. and it would run fairly cool but I haven't found a need to.

I'm hearing 5GHz is possible but most guys say that 4.8 is about the average max, not because of cooling but because 1.3V is the max with a 48X ratio. Wish I had one to try out myself, I saw that the i7 4790 silicone lottery chips were easily hitting 6GHz by ratio, but they're probably expensive as hell.
You're running a safe bet at 4.5, it'll last a while.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #3001 on: April 27, 2017, 03:26:49 PM »
Anywho, the experiment I talked of earlier weighted in at £2000 (with this graph card). I decided against it as I'm not entirely sure how it would have changed my life, and 2K is not to be sneered at.  However, all this talk has got the "upgrade" juices flowing again to I may have to rethink. Either that or my daughter has slipped something in my tea as she's more keen than I am to upgrade.

I think that might have something to do with my old once going begging if it does transpire.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #3002 on: April 30, 2017, 06:37:05 AM »
Anywho, the experiment I talked of earlier weighted in at £2000 (with this graph card).

I think the Radeon RX 580 beats the Nvidia GTX 1060. Amazon UK

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3003 on: April 30, 2017, 01:40:01 PM »
With all this money, why are draw distances and AA still poo?

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #3004 on: April 30, 2017, 10:05:24 PM »
My guess is unoptimized games and/or game engine. I'm playing Ark Survival Evolved right now and optimization is nill, draw distance is constant pop-ins when you're on a flyer or sprinting. Wildcard just keeps adding DLC, new dinos and nerfing things like critter health, stamina and speed. They even added a giant fish that hates rafts. I lost 2 large rafts this week. But they're not optimizing what they have. Still in Early Access 2 years later.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3005 on: April 30, 2017, 11:32:05 PM »
I bless'ed hate pop in. Once or twice I got a car going fast enough in vice city that the road textures didn't load, but I'm pretty sure that was an older hardware thing, I think it was back in the single digit geforce days.

One time my rip of gta3 didn't load textures at all, so it was a white hell. But it was only 98 mb!

I just left a bad review for rude employees at jack in the box. They weren't wearing nametags, but I'm sure as poo two fat latina women aren't named "jonathan".

When they weren't too busy with their conversation, they shorted ingredients on my burgers, and didn't bother giving my mom dressing for her salad.

It's weird, their day crew make food so well it could be used for the advertising, and the wrapping is damn near oragami.

Night crew don't give a golly.

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #3006 on: May 01, 2017, 09:38:45 AM »
I took my mom shopping and stopped for a burger afterwards also, poor mom left her purse in the restaurant by mistake and didn't realize it until i was dropping her off, we sped back to the restaurant to find out that there still exists some humanity in this world.  :)   

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3007 on: May 02, 2017, 12:57:07 AM »
coffee , dogs walk, rest

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #3008 on: May 07, 2017, 03:10:57 PM »
Gonna make myself a ginger and cinnamon tea made with milk and honey, and turn in.

Damn! I sound old.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #3009 on: May 07, 2017, 07:45:34 PM »
Trying to find a stable overclock for my video card so it will play a game that isn't optimized (Ark: Survival Evolved) at 60 FPS (frames per second) without crashing or starting a fire.

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #3010 on: May 09, 2017, 07:48:25 AM »
Trying to find a stable overclock for my video card so it will play a game that isn't optimized (Ark: Survival Evolved) at 60 FPS (frames per second) without crashing or starting a fire.

Does that game evolve, as in online progression, or have you not finished it yet?

I'm readying up all my MacBook Pro's to sell on eBay, probably sell my MacPro's as well but locally, the shipping for those tanks would far outweigh the cost of the machines.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #3011 on: May 09, 2017, 03:20:54 PM »
Trying to find a cheaper version of an Arbortech Allsaw.

I'm not paying a grand for that!

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #3012 on: May 09, 2017, 09:30:26 PM »
Does that game evolve, as in online progression, or have you not finished it yet?

I think there's supposed to be an ending eventually. As it is now, and for the last 2 years, it's in early access.

Early Access Game
Get instant access and start playing; get involved with this game as it develops.

Note: This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development.

In other words, they're still screwing up what they have now instead of optimizing it. That  said, according to Steam, I have 2,119.1 hrs on record.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3013 on: May 10, 2017, 12:55:18 AM »
Trying to find a cheaper version of an Arbortech Allsaw.

I'm not paying a grand for that!

thats a piece of kit, no TAX relief if you buy new

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #3014 on: May 11, 2017, 03:22:29 PM »
thats a piece of kit, no TAX relief if you buy new

It certainly is.

I'd have no problem buying it if I needed it more that a couple of times a year. As I don't, it's the 9" angle grinder again.