Author Topic: What are you doing right now?  (Read 517544 times)

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
Re: What are you doing right now?
« Reply #3015 on: May 11, 2017, 09:21:20 PM »
keeping my eyes open. i'm sure this doesn't constitute as being awake.
: ) keep smiling.  I make people smile at work all the time, seems to be the only way to really communicate to eachother. 
besides, it has this unique capability of making me laugh in the face of adversity. i like that part a lot.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3016 on: May 13, 2017, 12:30:15 AM »
looking for an Iphone 6 plus or 6s. Wife is determined to ween me away from my Chinese android phone  ???.
The thing is with Apple phones is simple, you can buy all the accessories you need for anything you do. Outdoor/Swimming/Cycling/car and 9/10 they work with anything designed to work with a phone.
Any other design is hit or miss and my Chinese phone is even worse. 8)

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #3017 on: May 13, 2017, 05:40:25 AM »
looking for an Iphone 6 plus or 6s. Wife is determined to ween me away from my Chinese android phone  ???.
The thing is with Apple phones is simple, you can buy all the accessories you need for anything you do. Outdoor/Swimming/Cycling/car and 9/10 they work with anything designed to work with a phone.

That confuses me, whether you prefer iOS or Android, the latter of the two mobile OS's is the better option for compatibility, especially across multiple platforms. Not sure which accessories you're thinking of but I don't think there is too much out there that isn't Android compatible.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3018 on: May 13, 2017, 06:02:10 AM »
Apple phones have the market for cases/attachments whereas android phones are a variety of shapes and manufacturers and if you buy chinese android phones then the choice is even less.
Because of the "variety" of Android versions as well not all work with fitness trackers/speakers.

I have a Oneplus one and am looking to move to a more user friendly phone that i can buy the all-weather/fit to my bike/car attachment requirement I have.The Oneplus hasn't these options  ???

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #3019 on: May 13, 2017, 07:01:41 AM »
Cases yes, attachments---no. But I suppose if you're looking at specific Apple compatible devices then you'll find what you're looking for.  I believe the the iPhone 7 has withdrawn the 3.5mm jack which caused quite an uproar, but others are also doing the same. People are scrambling to get USB C to 3.5mm convertors instead of just going the wireless route with BT devices, talk about moving backward! I guess in some peoples defense, they may have spent a fair bit on "wired" headsets and aren't in a position to purchase a wireless set ATT. I use wireless everything, and have been since BT headphones became both reasonably priced and good quality, same with my car, not to mention the tickets for using your phone while driving are outrageous!

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #3020 on: May 13, 2017, 07:25:39 AM »
I'm a big fan of wired technology. Not because it's old-school, but because it's fairly bulletproof and way easier to configure.

Plus my Beats are wired.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3021 on: May 14, 2017, 12:50:24 AM »
Cases yes, attachments---no.
attachments for the cases to fit on about anything i ride / swim / hike, not the headphones and wireless connectivity  :) :)

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #3022 on: May 14, 2017, 06:14:34 AM »
I'm a big fan of wired technology. Not because it's old-school, but because it's fairly bulletproof and way easier to configure.

Plus my Beats are wired.

The only issue I've ever had with wired devices is the wire  ;D

My first listing on eBay was purchased by a scammer, took 5 days to get the item relisted. First the guy was in Macon County, Georgia, then he was in Nigeria. Sent a couple of fake PayPal confirmation of payment notices informing me that I need to mark my item as "sold" and to proceed with the shipping arrangements to Nigeria in order for my PayPal account to show the transaction. If I wasn't so busy and eager to sell my laptops I would send the guy a nasty package, but I know that would jeopardize my account.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 06:21:18 AM by Alfonz »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #3023 on: May 14, 2017, 03:26:17 PM »

My first listing on eBay was purchased by a scammer, took 5 days to get the item relisted. First the guy was in Macon County, Georgia, then he was in Nigeria. Sent a couple of fake PayPal confirmation of payment notices informing me that I need to mark my item as "sold" and to proceed with the shipping arrangements to Nigeria in order for my PayPal account to show the transaction. If I wasn't so busy and eager to sell my laptops I would send the guy a nasty package, but I know that would jeopardize my account.

^ That's not good.

I'd sent him a piece of my mind ... if I had it to spare.

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #3024 on: May 14, 2017, 03:46:27 PM »
Sent him a few nasty emails, no reply of course  ::)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3025 on: May 15, 2017, 12:38:51 AM »
Should have sent him a p-p-p-powerbook

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #3026 on: May 15, 2017, 05:41:22 AM »
This is not true.

There are some Android variants that have good compatibility with some other things, but in fact most Android devices aren't even compatible with each other (except in marketing speak).

If something says it is iOS compatible, it is.

If something says it is Android compatible, it might be. It is almost certainly compatible with some flavour of Android on some type of device, but there is no guarantee that it works with your device and your flavour of Android.

I don't mind Apple-bashing, but at least it should have some basis in truth.

Not Apple bashing at all, I'm just not aware of devices that make claims to be Android compatible that turn out not to be. PhoneArena seems to tout Android as being the better of the two for compatibility, even though they seem to be biased toward iOS. Compatibility is the primary reason I choose Android, in my experience everything works off the shelf as claimed including external storage cards. Maybe you guys are referring to specialized devices that are made specifically for Apple devices?  I'd like to see some specifics.

BTW, I'm not an Android lover by any means, I actually loved WP but that's a dead soldier in this discussion.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3027 on: May 15, 2017, 08:10:04 AM »

People you do realise i stated accessories for the phone as Apple phones do have the majority of the market.

That confuses me, whether you prefer iOS or Android, the latter of the two mobile OS's is the better option for compatibility, especially across multiple platforms. Not sure which accessories you're thinking of but I don't think there is too much out there that isn't Android compatible.

Never mentioned compatability or which was better Ios or Android.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3028 on: May 15, 2017, 02:17:24 PM »
Drive-by greeting.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #3029 on: May 15, 2017, 03:33:01 PM »
This is not true.

There are some Android variants that have good compatibility with some other things, but in fact most Android devices aren't even compatible with each other (except in marketing speak).

If something says it is iOS compatible, it is.

If something says it is Android compatible, it might be. It is almost certainly compatible with some flavour of Android on some type of device, but there is no guarantee that it works with your device and your flavour of Android.

I don't mind Apple-bashing, but at least it should have some basis in truth.

I guess that it depends on what "compatibility" means.

An SD card may fit into an Android device, but it definitely won't fit into an iPhone, and 3.5 mm plug headphones won't fit into an iPhone 7 either. But silliness aside, I think what I mostly mean by "compatibility" is "will it work", not "will it plug in". Something with a micro-USB plug will likely fit into an Android phone/ tablet but not into an iOS device. Something with a lightning plug will likely fit into an iOS device but not into an Android.

... but getting what is on the other end of the cable to work with the phone/ tablet is where the issue may lie.

With iOS, if it plugs in, it will likely work. With Android, it depends if your version of Android is compatible with what you are trying to use. "Android-compatible" normally has some small print (as, of course, does "iOS compatible") about which versions are supported: with iOS this will likely catch 90%+ of the user base, with Android the percentage is often (much) smaller: for something requiring the latest version of Android the percentage is likely <10 for up to a year.

Version       Codename       Distribution (Jan 2016 Data)
2.3.3-2.3.7    Gingerbread 1.0%
4.0.3-4.0.4    Ice Cream    1.0%
               Sandwich
4.1.x          Jelly Bean        4.0%
4.2.x                                5.7%
4.3                                   1.6%
4.4            KitKat              21.9%
5.0            Lollipop            9.8%
5.1                                   23.1%
6.0            Marshmallow    30.7%
7.0            Nougat             0.9%
7.1                                   0.3%

... and I have no idea what "cross-platform" issues arise, as I am unaware of any. Apple <-> Apple is seamless, Apple to other stuff is largely functional if not as easy. (WhatsApp rather than iMessage, for example).

This is true. A lot of apps that I use are not compatible with all my android devices. This is one of the reasons I bought a Windows tablet rather than an android one. I can get all my software -- especially things that I need on site -- configured perfectly with various (USB) testing equipment. They are meant to work on android devices, but never perform the same from one day to another.

Luckily, I mainly use my phone as a phone so it matters not what system is on it.