Author Topic: Some advice from Cat owners please  (Read 16329 times)

Offline Geemonster

• Banned for all eternity
  • Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
Some advice from Cat owners please
« on: December 29, 2009, 04:52:27 AM »
Right then!
  Mr Socks is not well.
It started about 3 days ago,i went to turn the lamp in the lounge on and stepped in something soft and gooey,Cat puke.
  I know it was either a chicken or a Turkey as in the puke was the string or elastic that's used to tie up the legs or whatever.
  Anyway he loves Chicken,i put a bowl down for him and he looked at it and walked away for the 1st time in nearly 3 yrs.
  He seems a little subdued and hasn't really touched a morsel of food in nearly 3 days,apart from some dried food, Gocat that i put in his bowl last nite,but then only a few mouthfuls.
  He seems ok apart from that,a little subdued maybe.
I was wondering if anyone has a Cat or Dog that's eaten something rotten,and has been ill.
  Some advice perhaps if any would be appreciated.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
Re: Some advice from Cat owners please
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 06:46:09 AM »
I so dont want to be the one to post this but the thing you should be most concerned about is whether or not any of the string is till in his stomach. I have never heard of a cat suffering from food poisoning of any kind, well connected with bad meat, but I have had 2 relatives who spent a large amount of money for surgery when their cats digested string/thread. Not going to go into any details but maybe you can google digestion and get some more information. Here's hoping he's going to get over his bad feeling quick and easy. Love you Mr Socks!

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 10:34:20 AM »
^ I agree with OC. Lots of animals are supposed to be able to eat really nasty stuff and not get sick. I read the reason the exact biology ... I'd have to go look it up. or.. at least it's true for dogs. One time the dog I had before this one ran off from me, and by the time I caught up to her she was eating old nasty chinese food out of take-away cartons in an alley in a spilled over trash bin :-X  I imagine cats have similar biological defenses.

But.. things like string could get wound in their intestines. Most things get pooped out. But, I'd still watch her.

and.. I'm clueless otherwise. Sometimes my dog gets picky about food, and refuses to eat for the day. I suppose you could try something soft like baby food.

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 10:39:59 AM »
I did look it up though... and cats can get Salmonella

..so, if (wait. he?.. why did I always think your cat was a girl..?) anyway.. I'd watch for weaknesss and diarrhoea. And ask a local vet's advice if it gets worse.

http://www.cat-world.com.au/salmonellosis-in-cats

Offline Geemonster

• Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 01:00:05 AM »
Thanks peeps!
  The thing that's really got me is 1) I have no pet carrier,there's loads of Cats in our street,but no one seems to own a pet carrier ???
  2) The Vet will charge just to examine him,and im piss poor,so it's a visit to the PDSA,just need a pet carrier,which costs money in it's self. ::)

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 05:37:17 AM »
Thanks peeps!
  The thing that's really got me is 1) I have no pet carrier,there's loads of Cats in our street,but no one seems to own a pet carrier ???
  2) The Vet will charge just to examine him,and im piss poor,so it's a visit to the PDSA,just need a pet carrier,which costs money in it's self. ::)

They might have a carrier to loan you. They might anticipate that pets that would need free services might also need a carrier to get there, and have some to loan. And, it's also why I said I'd just watch for symptoms to get worse... because, the vet might not even do anything. The link I posted mentioned some theories that thought it was just best to let the bacteria run its course and get out of the system. But.. you should watch out for dehydration. And, you might also check to see if they'll be closed over New Years... becuase if things tuned worse, it would help to know who was open for the holiday weekend.

Offline Geemonster

• Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 06:07:59 AM »
Nah!  We live in a capitalist country,i'd have to pay even something like ?6 for a cardboard pet carrier.
  I found a pet carrier in an empty house,all that's missing is the front grill,so i'll use that,he should be going today some time.
  Payday tomorrow. ::)

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 06:29:16 AM »
Nah!  We live in a capitalist country,i'd have to pay even something like ?6 for a cardboard pet carrier.
  I found a pet carrier in an empty house,all that's missing is the front grill,so i'll use that,he should be going today some time.
  Payday tomorrow. ::)

When I was little, i had to ride in the back seat with my sister's cat. Both of my sisters were older then me, so were already in college when I was still in grade school.. anyway.. My sister had this insane cat, and she had to get it from school, to where we lived which was like.. a 2 hour and 30 minute drive. And the cat ripped and bit the cardboard carrier the whole trip. I kept panicking because I had to keep my hands over the holes the whole trip :D I thought the cat was going to jump out, and go wild and cause a car wreck >_< The last ten minutes of the trip the cat had half it's body pushed through one of the bigger holes ::)

so..yup.. cardboard carriers are dumb :)

Offline Geemonster

• Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 06:30:37 AM »
Well what can i say Skadi,the arseholes that devised them are even dumber. :D

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 09:10:44 AM »
I miss my Marius. He was a Russian Blue. Freindly as the day is long.
My ex kept him as part of the divorce settlement..
She did it just to make my life hard.
Oh well, I got to keep the snakes though.
Seems theyre like me,, not many people like them lmao
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 09:13:41 AM »
I like snakes. I just don't think I'd want to own something so big that it could squeeze the last living breath out of me :D

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 09:16:58 AM »
Aimee is only going to be 4 or so feet long ( Royal Python) and Samantha wont get much bigger than she allready is ( little over six feet).
Both are pretty tame and Sam is a flirt. She hasnt harmed anyone, and Aimee is really gentle.
I keep my standards low.

Offline Geemonster

• Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 11:21:43 AM »
I like snakes. I just don't think I'd want to own something so big that it could squeeze the last living breath out of me :D

Not all Snakes are constrictors.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 02:48:24 PM »
Only the ones I will have.
Ever been bit by a rattlesnake?  It aint fun. I got the scars to prove it.
I keep my standards low.

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 07:55:42 AM »
How's your cat Gee?