Author Topic: Demographic dining  (Read 13636 times)

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
Demographic dining
« on: December 02, 2010, 11:21:29 AM »
That's dinner time for me but I'm back shortly after 8pm so if it's still down, I'll get right on it.

I had dinner around midday. I'll be having my tea around seven.  :)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Demographic dining
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 12:44:32 PM »
"Dinner" is what I call the largest meal that I have in a day, and I don't eat lunch.  Sunday dinner can be in the early afternoon for me but during the week it is the meal that we all share in the evening.

I always used to wonder what size "tea" should be?
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 05:05:54 AM »
My impression of "tea" has always been a light snack to get you through till dinner. But, Im from Indiana so.......

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 07:01:24 AM »
I believe it is more in Northern England and the other U.K countries where "Tea" denotes dinner:

Other uses

In many parts of England, particularly the North-West and North East, and in many parts of Scotland, Wales and Ireland, tea is used to mean the main evening meal, replacive of Dinner.

Personally, I can't get away from thinking that a "dinner" is the largest of all meals.

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 08:01:23 AM »
My impression of "tea" has always been a light snack to get you through till dinner. But, Im from Indiana so.......

It's the same thing here. You don't even have to drink tea when you're having tea.

Personally, I can't get away from thinking that a "dinner" is the largest of all meals.

In Argentina it used be lunch when I was little. But now parents work different hours and kids have activities and dinner is also the moment people share with all family members. It's rarely before 8:30 PM and in summer weekends it could be as late as 10 PM.
Did we thrash the thread?  :D

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 10:55:45 AM »

It's rarely before 8:30 PM and in summer weekends it could be as late as 10 PM.

My French friends also do not eat their evening meal until around 9pm; my kids have been in bed an hour by then.

Did we thrash the thread?  :D

A little but the off topic stuff can always be cut out and moved to a more general discussion board, I'm just too knackered to do it at present as I have just come in from the school's Christmas fair (too many Irish coffees and Mulled wines..).

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 11:16:30 AM »
My French friends also do not eat their evening meal until around 9pm; my kids have been in bed an hour by then.

Next year my daughter will be at school at 7:40 AM so we'll forcibly do changes in our schedules. At what time do children go to school in other countries?

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 11:32:53 AM »
My daughter starts school at 8.45am, but she studies both the English and French curriculums.  My son goes to the English stream only section of the school, and starts at 8.55am. My daughter then finishes at 3.15pm and my son at 3.20pm.

We usually sit down to eat at around 6.45pm on a school night and 7.30pm on a weekend/holidays etc.

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 11:54:28 AM »
I find that's a more logical schedule, specially in winter.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 12:49:23 PM »
In the state where Im located there are two main school schedules but each school system chooses independently which they want to do. One is called "Year round school" and the other "traditional school"

Year round has longer breaks during holidays and 3 weeks in the summer, where traditional has much shorter breaks but does the 9 weeks in the summer. If I were in school again I would prefer year round. Retention has to be far superior.

My daughter has to be at school at 7:20am and gets out at 2:45 but shes in high school. Ive blocked out all the previous years times.  ;D

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 05:02:28 PM »
The primary school (3-11 year olds) that my younger children attend commences at 8.55am and lets out at 3.00pm. The secondary school (11-16 year olds, [16-18 optional]) that my teenage kids attend commences at 8.30am and also finishes at 3.00pm. The summer holidays for both schools are 6 weeks (basically the last 2 weeks of July and the whole of August).

The meal terms up here are breakfast (morning meal), dinner (midday meal) and tea (evening meal) - with supper (very late evening snack) very much optional. Also note the word "tea" when pertaining to meal names has absolutely nothing to do with the drink. In fact I'd rather drink my own urine than drink tea.

Speaking of urine, in the corner of the globe I live in, the receptacle one dispenses bodily waste into is the toilet (now and again you'll hear it referred to as the lav).

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 05:24:35 AM »
The primary school (3-11 year olds) that my younger children attend commences at 8.55am and lets out at 3.00pm. The secondary school (11-16 year olds, [16-18 optional]) that my teenage kids attend commences at 8.30am and also finishes at 3.00pm. The summer holidays for both schools are 6 weeks (basically the last 2 weeks of July and the whole of August).

The meal terms up here are breakfast (morning meal), dinner (midday meal) and tea (evening meal) - with supper (very late evening snack) very much optional. Also note the word "tea" when pertaining to meal names has absolutely nothing to do with the drink. In fact I'd rather drink my own urine than drink tea.

Speaking of urine, in the corner of the globe I live in, the receptacle one dispenses bodily waste into is the toilet (now and again you'll hear it referred to as the lav).

I believe the term "tea" when referring to a meal does stem from "high tea" when tea was actually drank along with the food. The only meal now that I would possibly drink tea with is breakfast, but only if it were an English type one and not a bowl of cereal.

I still call it a lavatory (pron: lavatree (the "a" sounds being that of the "a" in pappy)) or bog or the khazi.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 05:42:19 AM »
how weird the subject turned to toilet humour quickly  :D

i call the toilet , a toilet , loo.

dinner is a largish meal , T would be a snack / sandwiches .

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 04:21:23 PM »
I believe the term "tea" when referring to a meal does stem from "high tea" when tea was actually drank along with the food.

What I meant was when folk from "up here" use the term "tea" meaning their evening meal, it is the same type of meal people who use the term "dinner" would be eating just under a different name. People may drink tea when eating their evening meal - I don't know any who do - personally if I drink whilst eating my tea it'll be wine, but usually I won't drink anything. The kids would drink either juice or water with theirs.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 04:28:30 PM »
What I meant was when folk from "up here" use the term "tea" meaning their evening meal, it is the same type of meal people who use the term "dinner" would be eating just under a different name. People may drink tea when eating their evening meal - I don't know any who do - personally if I drink whilst eating my tea it'll be wine, but usually I won't drink anything. The kids would drink either juice or water with theirs.

I usually have wine for my dinner and, wash it down with a glass of chips,