Author Topic: Desserts, sweets, puddings, cakes and others things sweet.  (Read 9642 times)

Offline xtopave

• Q
Desserts, sweets, puddings, cakes and others things sweet.
« on: January 14, 2011, 02:48:58 PM »
Panqueque con Dulce de Leche

It's basically a cr?pe filled with creme caramel very popular in my country. With this recipe you can get aprox 16 cr?pes but it depends on the size of the pan. They're really easy to make but they take some time bc you do it one at a time.

Ingredients:

For the batter:

2 eggs
220g wheat flour
1/2 liter milk
30g butter
1 spoon of rum/Grand Marnier/whisky/etc

(Same recipe without the liquor works for manicotti or other savoury recipes)

For the filling:

1/2 kg Dulce de Leche (or maybe Nutella if you don't have/like dulce de leche)

Preparation:

Put the eggs in a bowl, whip them well with a whisk and add half the flour. Keep beating and when it's uniform add half the milk and all the butter that has to be very soft but not really melt. Add the rest of the flour and the rest of the milk beating till the batter is uniform and smooth. It's quite liquid, btw. Cover the bowl and let it rest in the fridge for at least 15 min. (You can keep it in  the fridge longer, even for a day or more. It'll separate but if you whip it it's OK again).
Now you'll need a small teflon frying pan (it's easier with a cr?pe pan but not absolutely necessary) that you'll heat on medium heat. I add a little butter to the pan when I do the 1st one but for the rest it isn't necessary. Add batter to cover the bottom of the pan moving the pan in circles to cover all the bottom. Don't try to make them too thin bc they're going to break when you flip them but not too thick either. When the panqueque starts to dry in the edges it's time to flip it. Use a not so big teflon spatula and shake the pan to see if the panqueque isn't stick to the bottom. (Or you can go crazy and flip it in the air. It's something entertaining to do with the kids on a Sunday afternoon. Even if you break a few you can eat them anyway). Keep in mind the 2nd side cooks faster. Stack them on a pile to keep them warm and moist. You can keep them in the fridge for a couple of days.
Then it's time to put dulce de leche on them, roll them up and eat!
Or you can put the filled panqueques in a bigger frying pan, add rum or Grand Marnier or something like that, sprinkle them with sugar and heat. You can served them flamb? but that's for experts, not for me!

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
Re: Desserts, sweets, puddings, cakes and others things sweet.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 02:00:43 PM »
^ I've always been too chicken to try to make crepes :P Pancakes I can handle.. I think I'd fail at crepes. In a pinch I've bought ready made ones in the cold section at my grocers :D

The easiest dessert I know how to make -

Key Lime Pie 

Ingredients
5 egg yolks, beaten
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup key lime juice
1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust
Directions
1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2.Combine the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk and lime juice. Mix well. Pour into unbaked graham cracker shell.
3.Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Allow to cool. Top with whipped topping and garnish with lime slices if desired.

I make this all the time in the summer. I like it better then lemon meringue. Although.. I kind of like the way lemon meringue pie is made with traditional pie crust.. so, I might subsitute pie crust for graham cracker crust this coming summer. But a pre made store bought graham cracker crust makes making this really fast to make. I normally don't even keep a recipe handy.. I just know the basic ingredients needed to have on hand, then follow the directions on the key lime juice bottle.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 03:57:00 PM by Skadi »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 06:21:18 AM »

I just know this is going to be my most favouritestest thread on the forum.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 12:43:31 PM »
Lemon Bars

this isnt my own recipe but they are delicious

Lemon Bars
Adapted from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

These are bold and tart lemon bars, ones I feel are best in smaller doses than Ina Garten suggests. I?ve made a few changes to the recipe?increased the salt in the crust, reduced the sugar in the lemon filling and an encouragement to grease your pan, as mine were all but cemented into their non-stick pan. For those of you who like the 1:1 crust to lemon layer ratio, use the second option.

For the crust:
1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups flour
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

For the full-size lemon layer:
6 extra-large eggs at room temperature
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest (4 to 6 lemons)
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup flour

Confectioners? sugar, for dusting

[Or] for a thinner lemon layer:

4 extra-large eggs at room temperature
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (3 to 4 lemons)
2/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
2/3 cup flour

Confectioners? sugar, for dusting

Preheat the oven to 350?F and grease a 9 by 13 by 2-inch baking sheet.

For the crust, cream the butter and sugar until light in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Combine the flour and salt and, with the mixer on low, add to the butter until just mixed. Dump the dough onto a well-floured board and gather into a ball. Flatten the dough with floured hands and press it into the greased baking sheet, building up a 1/2-inch edge on all sides. Chill.

Bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned. Let cool on a wire rack. Leave the oven on.

For the lemon layer, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour. Pour over the crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes (less if you are using the thinner topping), or about five minutes beyond the point where the filling is set. Let cool to room temperature.

Cut into triangles and dust with confectioners? sugar.

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 04:16:07 PM »
The only acceptable waffle recipe ever is Alton Brown's recipe. They're crisp on the outside, and airy on the inside. All other waffle recipes blow. The only thing I don't follow is sometimes I don't use 1/2 whole wheat.. I just use all all-purpose.

I cook waffles for holiday brunch, breakfast for dinner, and use them with ice cream for a dessert. I like them best with fruit and powdered sugar.. but warm maple syrup is good too. If I'm in the mood I double the batch and freeze left overs. Then they can be heated straight from the freezer in the toaster.

I think the waffle iron I use is retired (VillaWare Uno Classic) .. I assume there's be an acceptable replacement. Mine's built well, so I expect it to last -

Basic Waffle - Alton Brown

Prep Time:15 min
Inactive Prep Time:5 min
Cook Time:10 min
Level:Easy
Serves:approximately 6 (8-inch round) waffles.
Ingredients
?4 3/4 ounces all-purpose flour, approximately 1 cup
?4 3/4 ounces whole-wheat flour, approximately 1 cup
?1/2 teaspoon baking soda
?1 teaspoon baking powder
?1 teaspoon salt
?3 tablespoons sugar
?3 whole eggs, beaten
?2 ounces unsalted butter, melted
?16 ounces buttermilk, room temperature
?Vegetable spray, for waffle iron
Directions
Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions.

In a medium bowl whisk together the flours, soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar. In another bowl beat together eggs and melted butter, and then add the buttermilk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until combined. Allow to rest for 5 minutes.

Ladle the recommended amount of waffle batter onto the iron according to the manufacturer's recommendations. Close iron top and cook until the waffle is golden on both sides and is easily removed from iron. Serve immediately or keep warm in a 200 degree F oven until ready to serve.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 09:11:46 AM »
to be boring
i enjoy plain cheesecake , no topping or anything else.
as i have stated before as a ex baker / confectioner i got so fed up making cakes etc etc i
no longer eat any

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 05:52:37 PM »
apple sauce and salt is yummmy

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 10:02:04 PM »
to be boring
i enjoy plain cheesecake , no topping or anything else.
as i have stated before as a ex baker / confectioner i got so fed up making cakes etc etc i
no longer eat any

I like cheesecake plain also. Everyone else I know likes all the fancy versions.

apple sauce and salt is yummmy

:o

sometimes I sprinkle cinnamon sugar on mine...

althiugh, I know people who eat salt, or pepper, or salt and pepper on melon.. so, it makes sense..

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 09:59:03 AM »
In my country is quite common to eat melon with salt or melon with prosciutto. But mainly as an entr?e of course and not for dessert.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 05:50:48 PM »
In my country is quite common to eat melon with salt

This is how I was raised as well. But have since changed my method. As long as the melon is in season I dont need the salt. I was tasty though. I had my Girl Scouts try it one time when we were camping I thought they were going to kill me!! They thought it was a cruel trick.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 07:26:26 AM »
In my country is quite common to eat melon with salt or melon with prosciutto. But mainly as an entr?e of course and not for dessert.
yuck , salt  :o

Offline subvinorosa

• Human
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 08:40:14 PM »
Watermelon with a sprinkling of salt is good.  Melons/cantaloupes balls is awesome with condensed milk.  I have a sweet tooth but I no longer bake so I can't think of any recipes to share yet.

Offline hmed2390

• Human
  • Oh boy what a big mess, even Mickey's on acid!
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 05:47:01 AM »
Plain cheese cake is the best Goldshirt.

I've actually never had any other kind of cheesecake until more recently.
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. -Mark Twain

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 07:34:11 AM »
Plain cheese cake is the best Goldshirt.

I've actually never had any other kind of cheesecake until more recently.
well said  ;D

Offline subvinorosa

• Human
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 08:02:05 PM »
Yema is something we all love.  When I make these, I roll mine in sugar.  I found this recipe online and it's similar to what I do so... ;D

Kids love helping out when I make this.  Don't wait for it to cool too much; it will harden and can't be shaped much.  Instead of rolling in sugar, you can also dip this in caramelized sugar instead.  There are occasions when I like that better.

Have fun!

Oh yeah, don't use a non-stick pan.  And keep stirring.

http://panlasangpinoy.com/2009/11/19/filipino-dessert-sweet-custard-candy-yema-balls-recipe/