Author Topic: Has anyone used one of those usb/internet thing with a sim card to connect to...  (Read 11466 times)

Offline mishca09

• Q
Has anyone used one of those usb/internet thing with a sim card to connect to the internet?

Does it really work?

I'll try to explain it better but I don't know what they call them. So its a usb thing with a slot for your sim card and you can plug it into your computer or whatever you want ot plug it in to. and it allows you to access the internet through your sim card? I am not sure about the particulars but I figured I would ask…..

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
"Not asymmetrical"?  I assu you mean "not asynchronous"?  Hmm, so 3G is synchronous transfer?  Never knew that.
--dweez

Offline mishca09

• Q
Thanks Christ. Do you know of anybrands I could check out?

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
If it is just browsing you're after, then I use an Android app call "3G mobile network" that turns my phone into a wifi connection for my laptop and tablet.  As the internet facility is bundled into my phone package, I don't pay for anything while browsing, and others can connect to my phone to get a connection too.  It is by far the simplest and cheapest method as it is quick, I always have my phone on me anyway, and I don't have anything else to set up or install.

I believe recently the a similar app was released for iPhones
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
There are similar apps for the iPhone.  The only problem though is that a lot of the cell providers here in the U.S. can detect when you "tether" a device to your cell phone's data connection and they will end up charging you the monthly charge of the service.  mishca, I'd check with your cell provider to see if they do this before you do.
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
The app was pre-installed on my phone and available for use immediately.  If they charged me for tethering (which so far they don't), I would have argued that it was duplicitous to have the app installed as standard.

However, I have heard that the same provider in the States (T-Mobile), charges $14.99 for the tethering option.

Offline mishca09

• Q
Oh. I have tmobile I will have to check. What is the app called for andriod phone?

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
'3G mobile hotspot' but I think it is part of the Motorola Defy's standard ROM. There are many other tethering apps available on the android marketplace though,

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
Yeah smokes, that's why I specifically mentioned in the U.S., bunch of arseholes (HEY WAIT!!!).  I used tethering for a bit on my iPhone to my iPad on my Vegas trip but for the most part don't need it as I only use my iPad where wifi is available.

mishca, you should be able to search for "wifi tethering" in the Apps market to find a multitude of apps.
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
Tethering is not a separate app, it is built in to the iOS (I don't know about Android - why would I?). It is up to your service provider whether (a) you can use it, and (b) if you can, what you are charged for it.

If you just want a dongle for your PC/ Laptop, then any mobile service provider will sell you one - shop around for the best contract, as the hardware is likely all made in the same factory in Taiwan.

If you want to use multiple devices through a single shared thingummy, Google "Mi-Fi".

Tethering is an interesting talking point with consumer groups here at the moment, as charging for it essentially means that Providers are charging you twice for the same data.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9573538.stm

Offline mishca09

• Q
thanks guys. I do have a app on my phone called wi-fi hotspot. I tried it out but my computer would not connect, it might because of the crappy reception. Anywho I"ll figure it out eventually.

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
  • With powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear.
    • TITLE!
My sister has one of those USB dongles with a sim card in it.  I've not used it though.

My Samsung telephone has Android 2.2 and allows for wi-fi tethering in the connections settings.  It also as USB tethering so I can connect it via USB to access the mobile internet, like a dongle, which is nice.

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!

Offline subvinorosa

• Human
I'm using one at the moment and it works nicely most of the time.  As long as I have good signal strength, net will work nicely.  Not always as fast as I'd like it to be but it will eventually load the pages you need.

Good luck with sharing though.  And by sharing I really mean you know what.

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
  • With powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear.
    • TITLE!
My sister always complains about the speed, but I think it's mostly because she lives in Leicester.  I've been trying to encourage her to use ad-blockers, script-blockers and Opera Turbo to help reduce her bandwidth, but she's doesn't like turning JavaScript on and off all the time.

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
My sister always complains about the speed, but I think it's mostly because she lives in Leicester.  I've been trying to encourage her to use ad-blockers, script-blockers and Opera Turbo to help reduce her bandwidth, but she's doesn't like turning JavaScript on and off all the time.
a beautiful place to live