Author Topic: Supermarket Navigation  (Read 2578 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Supermarket Navigation
« on: June 15, 2013, 01:58:13 AM »
So I made this thing. Can't remember why.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
Re: Supermarket Navigation
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 10:14:59 AM »
Probably related to the comment you made in your Red Baron thread.

Also, talking to inanimate objects is a great way to clear rude shoppers who don't follow American Traffic laws in the supermarket.
--dweez

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 06:32:42 PM »
Ah, yes. While I was writing that I was screwing around in paint shop pro waiting for the hulu ad to end on the show I was watching.

Right now I only have seven tabs up, no video, no music. Just light reading.

Offline Autumn

• Account on hold
  • Cro-Magnon
  • No regrets
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 12:16:27 AM »
That's an amazing diagram. I may print it and post it at my local grocer on the bulletin board. :D

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 06:03:48 AM »
your missing the alcohol bit

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 09:18:54 AM »
and the part where people abandon their carts smack in the middle of a highly trafficked area to go wander among the shelves or produce, thus causing maximum congestion and inconvenience to other shoppers.  This diagram does not show the relationship between attended and unattended carts.  But maybe they are all motorized where you live so the point is moot.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 08:34:01 PM »
True, however the arrows are meant to indicate motion. The Completely Retarded cart is meant to be stationary.

I also hate the stare people. In Walmart, you've got at best, two brand choices. Macaroni and cheese does not require four minutes of staring.

Today I had to do an awkward co-browsing move in the CD's as not to offend the other weirdo. We even had a nice conversation about how they should use bold block lettering on the spines of CD's rather than cursive black on dark blue spine. That's actually how I found pretty hate machine.

It was still an awkward co-browsing. He'd pull like five of them and look at the covers. I'm a spine browser. Same thing as speed reading, and it clears the space for the next person much more quickly.

In a perfect world, Goodwill would run an inventory and they'd just pull the CD for you like gamestop. That would also stop theft. This unfortunately would require Goodwill to maintain a database, and tie it into the POS for removal at sale. This will of course, not happen.

But if anyone has any high level contacts at goodwill, please pass this along. Not only would it end Awkward Co-Browsing, it would allow the blinder of the species (Elderly) an easier access point.

That being said, the old people would grumble and not want to use the database :P

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 09:07:32 PM »
I've bought several used books from various goodwills that listed their offerings on national databases for sale.  Good prices, too.  I don't know if they are up to listing cds, though.  I hate it when people are next to me at the Goodwill, trying to go through the same stuff... makes me feel pressured.  Glad you found that NIN album.

Around here, people just put out cds for free in boxes on the sidewalks.  That's a real hit or miss proposition.  People have begun loading all their cds on to hard drives and getting rid of the discs because they don't want to use the storage space for them.  Craigslist occasionally has such offers, but I usually miss them.  Books are more common.  I get many novels that way.  A couple years ago someone put out a huge box of philosophy books when they decided to move out of town and most of them were used in class.  That was a major score.  Clothing, household goods, etc.  It costs alot to live here, but there's a prosperous transient population in this university town and I benefit from their castoffs.