Author Topic: Current Events  (Read 37850 times)

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
Re: Current Events
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2016, 11:33:04 AM »
She's dangerous...

Washington (CNN)Bryan Pagliano, a former Hillary Clinton staffer who helped set up her private email server, has accepted an immunity offer from the FBI and the Justice Department to provide an interview to investigators, a U.S. law enforcement official told CNN Wednesday.

The FBI has been asking for Pagliano's cooperation for months as dozens of investigators pored over thousands of Clinton emails in a secure room on the fourth floor of FBI headquarters.

CNN

* Stand by your man, for political reasons... ergo Monica Lewinsky

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 12:03:10 PM by brickbatz »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2016, 02:52:47 PM »
... to whom?

Sending e-mails from a private server is wrong, and may even be illegal, but this pales into insignificance when compared to The Donald's unmitigated madness.

Can you for one minute believe that Trump wouldn't stoop to whatever means he can conceive in order to get his own way? Seriously, I think that Americans have a gift for developing wildly inappropriate politicians, but The Donald beats them all into a cocked hat.

(PS: this is not to say that we Brits aren't quite gifted in this regard, but we haven't even come close to one of Trump's stature.)

The one thing that I can't fathom is what is in it for him.

He needs the attention.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2016, 03:46:13 PM »
She's dangerous to our National security.

She's still married to Bill Clinton. I don't see her being totally independent of him.

Impeachment and acquittal of Bill Clinton

Why does Trump want to be President? He loves the limelight, ego.

Scarborough to Trump: Why Do You Want To Be President?

SCARBOROUGH: why do you want to be president?

TRUMP: Because I want to make America great again. Very simple. I want to make America great again. And we can do it.

You know --

SCARBOROUGH: When did America stop being --

TRUMP: -- you see the crowds I’m getting.

SCARBOROUGH: When did America stop being great?

TRUMP: I was very unhappy with the Bush years. I was very unhappy with the fact that Bush went into Iraq. I was, as you know, in 2003, 2004, even though I’m a builder and deal guy, I got always a lot of publicity for whatever reason, OK? I didn’t have PR people, I just got for whatever reason.

And once somebody said about Iraq, and I said don’t do it because you’re going to destabilize the Middle East. That was a bad step. That was a horrible step.

Then Obama came in and it’s been a disaster. It’s been a disaster. We’re not a respected country anymore. Our military’s going to hell. Our veterans aren’t treated properly. Obamacare is a disaster; it’s got to be repealed. So many different things.

The whole persona of our country is different. And I said I’m going to do this. And it wasn’t something I really wanted to do. Frankly, I wish Obama were a great president. I would be happy. I’d be happy -- doing what I’m doing, Turnberry in Scotland. I’ve some of the greatest jobs in the world. I may never see it again. You know, if I win, I may never see these things again.

So I love what I’m doing. I love running. One thing I’ve learned is I get the biggest crowds by far. Much bigger than Bernie Sanders, much bigger than anybody. Not even close. And you know that. And he gets second, by the way. But mine are much bigger.

I will tell you, the people are incredible, of this country. And they’re really, really smart. They get it. And I’ve very impressed by it.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2016, 05:43:28 PM »
Remember when Obama was a candidate and there were massive youth voting initiatives? Notice how the DNC isn't doing that this election?

Do they not remember the solid thrashing the GOP got by running "it's my turn" Mccain?

Honestly I don't blame bill for being a manwhore, considering the amount of cleanup he's had to do for his wife.

I was raised in a fairly republican environment, yet time and again I've found myself voting for the least worst democratic candidate, and the DNC is hellbent on taking that away.

The caucus votes being called by the magical clinton coin flip enrage me, considering vote rigging cost us President Gore. Say what you will about the man being boring, I doubt he'd ignore a security briefing for golf.

Seriously, give me a dimension jumping device, I'd like to see a world where 9/11 didn't happen.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2016, 10:00:24 AM »
She can't even send secure email.

If she were to be elected I feel like it would be a third term for Bill Clinton.

... oh, and he was ACQUITTED!

President Ford Pardoned Richard Nixon too. That doesn't make him any less guilty.

* BTW, I'm not advocating voting for Trump either.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 10:06:17 AM by brickbatz »

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 01:43:51 PM »
He wasn't acquitted by a landslide. And he admitted he lied.

The perjury charge failed with 45 senators voting "guilty" and 55 senators (45 Democrats and 10 Republicans) voting "not guilty". The obstruction of justice charge failed with 50 senators voting "guilty" and 50 senators (45 Democrats and 5 Republicans) voting "not guilty". In both cases, a two-thirds majority of 67 senators would have been required for conviction.

I don't want Trump in the White House but I don't want Bill Clinton in there either.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2016, 06:19:32 PM »
There is a gun show this weekend in Del Mar, and I would LOVE to see it, but that cowpoo probation thing can only be nixed by a psychiatrist. I'm not even on the waiting list for a paychiatrist right now, they put me on the list on the 28th.

Back in 08 they were freaking out about obama, I got a great deal on ammo.

The amount of anti hillary rhetoric there reminded me of 1993 fresno. I never liked Hillary from a free speech standpoint, but her record makes me dislike her even more.

I had to pas up a good deal on PT shirts because the back area had a giant swatstika and white pride literature, and I will not do commerce with someone who thinks the turner diaries are a great idea.

Plus gun shows in CA are sad, neutered things, like the rejected booths from the boat show.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2016, 09:46:15 PM »
Clinton has been the subject of some rather misogynistic rantings from both the right and the left.  Thus far, it's not been demonstrated conclusively that she did anything wrong.  Here is an article placing her usage of private e-mails in context and fact checking her claims.  http://www.salon.com/2015/03/10/fact_check_clinton_and_her_emails/

I was originally in favor of her candidacy when she was running against Obama, but then she decided to lie about Obama, which was stupid.  I was fully aware of what Obama's positions were, as he'd made them public, but her campaign decided on a strategy of smear tactics and promulgated inaccuracies about his ideas.  That was enough for me to switch my vote to Obama.  Now, I have to consider the worst case scenario of Republican victory with opponents who made the Republicans of yesteryear look downright moderate.  I don't care if Sanders or Clinton gets the nomination, but either of them is infinitely preferable to that cynical real estate developer/reality tv star.  Trump sounds like a carnival barker, and his grasp of issues (or rather lack thereof), both domestic and international, leads me to fear for the future of America.  He attracts disgruntled low information voters who find him entertaining.  Well, they've got that part right.  He makes the other GOP candidates look like mean spirited stiffs.  They get nasty and apoplectic in his presence.

The GOP debates have been highly entertaining, like some kind of brilliant theatre of the absurd or black comedy.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 09:47:58 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 05:06:46 AM »
Every election it's the lesser of two evils. I don't feel either one of those two deserve my vote.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2016, 02:12:24 PM »
Every election it's the lesser of two evils. I don't feel either one of those two deserve my vote.

Which is exactly why here we have Joke political parties.  If all else fails I can at least vote for the Al-Zebabist Nation of Ooog.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2016, 02:24:08 PM »
Sort of like the church of the flying spaghetti monster.  The real world is often far from fun and our sad 4 year reminder of that is upon us.  I'm with brick.  I don't relish the thought of voting for Hillary much, but the prospect of Cruz or Trump in the White House downright scares me.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2016, 02:58:24 PM »
Sort of like the church of the flying spaghetti monster.  The real world is often far from fun and our sad 4 year reminder of that is upon us.  I'm with brick.  I don't relish the thought of voting for Hillary much, but the prospect of Cruz or Trump in the White House downright scares me.

I've never actually used my vote on one of those joke parties, although I did vote Liberal Democrats once.

It was during the Tony B-liar administration, so I should be forgiven when my time comes.

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2016, 04:13:38 PM »
Engineering Consent. The Freuds--Sigmund, Anna & Edward Bernays = Psychology, business/marketing, and contemporary politics.

Check out the last one hour episode Eight People Sipping Wine in Kettering (actually, the whole four hour documentary is fascinating):
From Wikipedia: "In part four the main subjects are Philip Gould, a political strategist, and Matthew Freud, a PR consultant and the great-grandson of Sigmund Freud. In the 1990s, they were instrumental to bringing the Democratic Party in the US and New Labour in the United Kingdom back into power through use of the focus group, originally invented by psychoanalysts employed by US corporations to allow consumers to express their feelings and needs, just as patients do in psychotherapy."

Estragon: I can't go on like this.
Vladimir: That's what you think.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2016, 07:56:04 PM »
That's interesting, I remember watching a documentary that posited the opposite, that focus groups and marketing based strategies led to the rise of thatcher and reagan.

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2016, 10:19:29 PM »
Yes, that's true 8ullfrog. Reagan and Thatcher are well-covered in the last hour of the film.

It wasn't just New Labour and Democrats that benefited from those strategies as the Wiki quote states; it doesn't mention how that sort of move backfired on Clinton and Blair. The documentary certainly does a good job of explaining that. I recommend watching the whole thing but I posted it basically because it does a decent job of explaining the banality of most--if not all--candidates the last few decades and why we don't have people so much as products to choose from.

Estragon: I can't go on like this.
Vladimir: That's what you think.