Author Topic: Current Events  (Read 39021 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: Current Events
« Reply #360 on: July 12, 2023, 07:38:17 AM »
I was told who the BBC presenter is in the news at the moment.

I'm completely shocked!

Huw gotta be kidding me, so its still the worse best secret atm.
if the person or persons over the legal age then so what. Morality in todays world comes with a cost.
There are worst thing's going on in the world
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 09:31:26 AM by goldshirt*9 »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #361 on: December 06, 2023, 10:34:26 AM »
If Mr Trump really believes that he won the last election, surely he must believe that he isn't eligible to run in the next one?

True, but wasn't his intention to follow in the footsteps of Xi Jinping and stay in power indefinitely (with the help of a reform or 2).
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #362 on: December 06, 2023, 04:43:51 PM »
I find it alarming that trump has literally doubled down on campaign promises.
He went from door to door deportations (Never happened)
to suggesting "Camps".

Anyone proposing internment camps should be disqualified from running for public office, I don't give a poo which party they're running for.
His other current obsession is nukes. Big ones. He's excited that he's "allowed" to talk about that now.

bless'ed nightmares for days.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #363 on: December 07, 2023, 07:26:40 AM »
"If Mr Trump really believes that he won the last election, surely he must believe that he isn't eligible to run in the next one?"
Have to help me on that one, believe you are allowed to run for a max of 2 terms or is it the impeachment stopping him ?

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #364 on: December 07, 2023, 10:08:52 AM »
He appeals to the lizard brains of his constituents.  They love getting all riled up.  He reminds me of some kind of revivalist preacher.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #365 on: December 07, 2023, 05:46:18 PM »
The Electoral College is an institution that often gives rise to such conflicted results.  Bush v Gore and Clinton v Trump are two instances where the candidate who won the popular vote by a substantial margin lost to the other candidate due to the number of electors -- these numbers are disproportionate to the populations of the states.  It's really ridiculous.

I can't speak to the madness of the G.O.P., an infection that seems to be spreading.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #366 on: December 07, 2023, 11:43:27 PM »
Have to help me on that one, believe you are allowed to run for a max of 2 terms or is it the impeachment stopping him ?
He actually won one, and tells anyone that will listen that he won a second. Thus he can't run for a third.

Gotcha, forgot about his delusional win  :)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #367 on: December 19, 2023, 07:19:41 AM »
Xmas is here the bells are chiming

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #368 on: January 23, 2024, 07:51:14 AM »
Imagine anything imported from the far east will be increasing in price  :-[

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #369 on: March 24, 2024, 08:04:47 AM »
So, as an American, or, if the local media is any indicator, a lapsed Brit, I wonder at the mammoth media coverage of Princess Catherine.  She seems like someone who just wants to raise her kids in peace out of the spotlight.  I just don't get the obsession with her health.  If she's sick, all the more reason to just leave her alone.  If anyone here can shed some light on why the crazed media spotlight won't let her be, I'd appreciate it.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #370 on: March 24, 2024, 03:42:57 PM »
If gossip shows like the youtube Popcorned Planet are any indication, Meghan Markle is not particularly well liked in America either.   She comes across as spoiled, precious and doing everything in her power to monetize her fame while pleading for privacy.

South Park did a hilarious send up of the couple, dubbing them the Prince and Princess of Canada on a "Worldwide Privacy Tour."

Still the idea that Princess Kate was replaced by a body double (to what end?) and whatever nutty conspiracy speculations might arise, are pretty wacky.  I feel for her in her quest for peace and solitude.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 03:45:19 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #371 on: March 24, 2024, 03:49:49 PM »
So, as an American, or, if the local media is any indicator, a lapsed Brit, I wonder at the mammoth media coverage of Princess Catherine.  She seems like someone who just wants to raise her kids in peace out of the spotlight.  I just don't get the obsession with her health.  If she's sick, all the more reason to just leave her alone.  If anyone here can shed some light on why the crazed media spotlight won't let her be, I'd appreciate it.

Strange, but on tonight's news Catherine wasn't mentioned once. Yesterday was a different matter altogether. I guess the furore is now over and we can go back to watching thousands of people being massacred instead.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #372 on: March 24, 2024, 04:49:43 PM »
Perhaps that's why Kate is so popular over here.  She's lots better looking than Bebe the war criminal. 

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #373 on: March 25, 2024, 02:49:24 AM »
The traditional media are trying to reflect online discussion, in a vain attempt to stop from being obsolete and redundant. To do this they take stuff that is popular on social media, and try to "explain" it to old folk that don't TokTik. This, combined with the current fad for "each-sides"-ism leads to ridiculous importance being given to no-event "news", particularly to the part of the discussion that anyone with any common sense would disregard as moronic. Certain psychotic and conspiracy-bound parts of the internet seems to think that Catherine has followed Avril Lavigne's example, by disappearing and being replaced by a body double, and so examine/ analyse/ deconstruct everything that is reported about her with microscopic idiocy (filtered through a tinfoil hat). The mainstreamers feel the need to explain this to those that don't participate, resulting in a huge - and totally unnecessary - concentration on the amended family snap, and then the paparazzi film of a shopping princess.

It doesn't help that the media (mainstream and otherwise) feel released from any pretence of respect for the royal family by the diminished nature of the new King (compared to his Mother) and the reported antics of Andrew and Harry, and the perceived public dislike of Andrew (again) and Harry's wife (who, as an American*, is perceived differently over here - we all remember Wallis Simpson). Thus the media feel that any speculation is fair game.

* for the majority over here her skin colour is not an issue, but for the commentariat any reported or perceived dislike must be conflated with a colour bias, because that is the vogue.

The "news" for me is becoming truly painful. My wife actually cries when watching reports from Gaza. To be honest, the Kate story was a welcomed relief.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #374 on: March 25, 2024, 07:37:56 AM »
Not a lot of sleep this morning for night shift, Builders in to replace conservatory with a hard roof.
The roof is going the full width of the back of the house not just on the conservatory, gives us a place to sit out undercover if raining and warm.
Plus putting the clothes out to dry and not in the conservatory  ???
Noisy buggers  ;D