Author Topic: What are you eating / What did you eat.  (Read 64346 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: What are you eating / What did you eat.
« Reply #180 on: April 21, 2020, 05:36:41 PM »
Once in a while we will eat Annie's Mac n Cheese with some frozen potatoes (cooked of course) when we are too tired, or a jar of pasta sauce heated with some pasta, but I am generally not a lazy cook.  I often have time to make meals from scratch so I like to make do with the few ingredients in the house so as to be creative.  You seem to do well like that as well, based on the posts you make of inventive combinations of ingredients.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #181 on: April 21, 2020, 06:28:46 PM »
My dad had a way of blending cheese and canned spaghetti, he cooked it really slow, like 3-4 cans of the stuff, and it came out tasting fresh. He lived on a boat, so dry storage was considerably important.

I like to think I'm his pale shadow. One thing I add to a boring or leftover spaghetti is a little red wine vinegar, punches it up. I can't make canned spaghetti taste fresh though, that is beyond me.

I remember he went for the Amerigo brand, I don't think they sell that anymore.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #182 on: April 24, 2020, 10:53:06 AM »
Merlot and an oatmeal and raisin biscuit.

It's not a bad combination although I think the biscuit could be substituted for just about anything else on the planet.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #183 on: April 24, 2020, 10:57:06 AM »
Merlot and an oatmeal and raisin biscuit.

It's not a bad combination although I think the biscuit could be substituted for just about anything else on the planet.

Ha.  I thought you were tucking into the wine kind of early, as it's 10 a.m. here, but then, I remembered the time difference and realized it's early evening there.  I whipped up two batches of cream scones this morning and had one with some earl grey tea.  I'll freeze half of them.   We are trying to use up a half gallon of heavy cream someone gave us before it goes off.  Fortunately, scones freeze quite well.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #184 on: April 24, 2020, 07:54:31 PM »
The other sour cream was not defective like the first, so we mixed it with the enchilada sauce to make a sort of burrito cream.

Anything to avoid lighting up the oven right now, it's so damned uncomfortable.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #185 on: April 26, 2020, 11:00:40 AM »
Chef Boyardee classic designs lasagna.

I mean, who are we kidding here? This was never going to hit the standards of an actual lagsagna.

And still, I find myself impressed. The meat sauce does not go overboard, the noodles are by all designs, inoffensive.

Honestly, I'm impressed. I'd eat this again - 2 to 3 times a week in a bomb shelter.

I imagine the chef Boyardee throwback designs hit the market BEFORE the pandemic, because holy poo, last resort is not the metric any brand wants to aim for.

That being said, the light cheese notes, the meaty sauce, and the pre-mentioned inoffensive noodles really make this can a recommend.

Like, I'd probably push this over the spaghetti and meatballs, despite enjoying that option greatly.

This one has more zazz.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #186 on: April 26, 2020, 11:08:03 AM »
I admire your willingness to sample and review these canned foods.

My husband is scratching his head for things that he can nuke at work that will help him avoid his usual practice of going out for a quick sandwich.

We have been doctoring various Bush's flavored beans with a little sautéed onion and spices, layering it over some rice with grated pepper jack cheese.  It's pretty satisfying and wicked cheap.  I got about a case of these beans for either free or next to nothing due to promotions/sales.  So they have been gathering dust until now.  It's nice to have them to fall back on.  I've given a bunch to food pantries, but now we are tucking into them ourselves.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #187 on: April 26, 2020, 11:15:28 AM »
Baked beans is the line for me, any of the bush line makes me want to hurl, and I just ate chef boyardee lasagna! I don't know if it's cilantro, I don't know if it's my aversion to sweet food, but baked beans is one of my least favorite options. (I will eat it to be polite, it's not like seafood where I barf)

Canned beans on the other hand, white or navy beans have been a godsend. I will never make black beans for my mother again. Steel eyes, don't want to talk about it, navy beans mvp.

And I think I've mentioned in past, Knorr rice packets fed me in NJ, simply because you can't just eat them, they require minor prep, even if it is amazingly simple.

Canned soup also worked back then.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 11:19:06 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #188 on: April 26, 2020, 10:18:34 PM »
I don't like baked beans, and the beans I'm referring to are various hispanic flavorings.  Chili beans and Savory beans.  We had a can the other night over rice but we doctored them up.  They're nothing to write home about.   We just have them and figured we'd try to use them.  I generally cook with the simple canned beans, black beans, garbanzo and the like.

I make a lot of hummus, sometimes some garbanzo bean salad, and we use the black beans as an ingredient in quesadillas, but we add spices to them.  I also use the garbanzos in Indian recipes like Chana Masala.  They're very versatile and nourishing.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #189 on: April 26, 2020, 10:56:04 PM »
A pickle.

It's like 84 degrees in my room right now, even a burrito seems daunting.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #190 on: April 27, 2020, 10:05:28 AM »
A pickle.

It's like 84 degrees in my room right now, even a burrito seems daunting.

Coronavirus stands no chance.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #191 on: May 02, 2020, 09:40:37 PM »
I'm hungry but I don't want any of the poo I have. I guess I'm hungry for freedom.

Unlike the idiot neighbors, I will remain at home for safety. Not just for myself, but for everyone else as well.

(I'm probably craving something fried)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #192 on: May 07, 2020, 07:50:37 PM »
We had a big salad for dinner.  It's too hot to cook.  Romaine lettuce, apple, pecans, avocado, cherry tomatoes and Italian dressing.

I can understand being tired of being indoors.  I live within walking distance to stores so I amble over there once a week and get lettuce and other perishables to go with the stuff we have stashed away.  I sympathize with your not being able to get to the store except via bus.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #193 on: May 12, 2020, 08:15:10 PM »
Foreman burgers with swiss, then a nice walk.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #194 on: May 13, 2020, 01:54:42 PM »
I had an "English muffin" for breakfast.  Kind of like fancy white bread covered w/a little cornmeal.  I've had better breakfast breads.  We usually use them for burgers.  I should have made some scones but woke up too late to bother.

At least Fortnum's Earl Grey hasn't let me down.  I don't know how I'd make it if they went  out of business.  They're the last man standing after the demise of Jackson's.  There are certainly other fine teas in the world, but you get used to one you like and it sucks when they stop making it.