Author Topic: What are you eating / What did you eat.  (Read 62263 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: What are you eating / What did you eat.
« Reply #255 on: May 28, 2021, 09:43:10 PM »
I never ate at Blondies, although the slices looked huge and they used a lot of cheese.  I used to shop at Rasputin and Amoeba records.  I didn't buy much.  They both had great selections.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #256 on: May 30, 2021, 04:40:56 AM »
I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Rasputin's. Last time I went in, the clerk was hippy as golly, he looks at me and says "Dude, Bulworth Soundtrack"

I said "Excuse me?"

He said "You want the Bulworth Sondtrack"

So I looked at it, and it was Rap. "I don't listen to rap."

"Just give it a chance man, that's the CD for you."

And god damn if he wasn't right. I mostly listened to punk back then, and those CD's clock in relatively short. Bulworth Soundtrack has some AMAZING STORIES in it's rap tracks, and it is a veritable who's who of 90's rap.

I would not have the deep appreciation I have of the entire Wu-Tang Clan, if not for that weird hippy.

Jesus, that was 1998. Time flies.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #257 on: May 30, 2021, 06:41:49 AM »
They have a great used section in the basement.  I think the last album I bought there was some latin jazz I'd heard on KCSM.  Of course they had it in stock.
They have a little of everything.  The one thing I really miss about brick and mortar record stores is the expertise of people who take music seriously and listen to lots of it.  You could really learn about new recordings that were worthwhile and not something you'd normally pick out on your own.  Rasputin is still alive.  http://www.rasputinmusic.com/berkeley

Radio is the last holdout of places we can find good music.  Now you can stream all kinds of stuff.

Food?  I am eating French pastries from the grocery store (and they're good) and washing them down with good English tea.  Soon, I'll have to go for a couple mile walk to counter the effects.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 06:45:16 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #258 on: May 30, 2021, 11:45:00 PM »
coffee and toast with Rose's marmalade on  :)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #259 on: June 09, 2021, 04:00:38 AM »
Farm Rich mozzarella sticks bless'ed suck.

The Broccoli I steamed came out okay.

One weird thing is if you google these lousy cheese sticks, the reviews are universally, pod people positive. Everyone loves them.

Well I didn't!

It was like a crappy mozzarella cheese stick in a breading shell.

I should have bought Jalapeño poppers.

As for the broccoli? I put them in the steamer pot filled with water, and steamed it until it was less tree like, and more food like.

I don't find broccoli particularly complicated.

Honestly, I wish I'd made more Broccoli, and less shitty cheese sticks.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #260 on: June 09, 2021, 07:03:01 AM »
I often eat steamed broccoli for dinner.  Baked potatoes are a good accompaniment.  Usually I eat it with plain yogurt (kind of like a sour cream substitute) and a little butter.  I can understand the cheese.  But there are two different kinds of mozzarella sticks.  I am thinking of the plain, refrigerated ones that come individually wrapped in plastic.  Do you mean the stuff you put in the oven that's breaded?  I prefer my cheese neat, usually.  This guy loves them.  I think it's telling that he's wearing a t-shirt that says "Tool."  That pretty much says it all. 
I think the best mozzarella cheese sticks are Galbani full milk mozzarella, but that makes them fattening.  I've had Safeway brand and they're not too bad.  These are in the refrigerated section.  Eat them right out of the wrapper.  No oven involved.

This reviewer needs to be madam slapped every time he draws a breath. I had to stop after 5 minutes.  Fortunately, he reviews the mozzarella stix first. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbe0BvRHJek
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 07:09:42 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #261 on: June 09, 2021, 10:52:12 PM »
Isn't the second one the bless'ed idiot who eats soup uncooked?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #262 on: June 20, 2021, 08:21:31 PM »
I made an old standby today, but I twisted it.

Tater tots with chili and cheese. The twist was instead of combining all the ingredients on the stovetop, I did it on the plate.

It was good and it didn't leave me with that heavy gut feeling. Mom made a massive pot of chili a few days back, so we've just been pairing it with different things.

Mixing it all on the plate also led to some instinctive portion control, which is probably a good thing.

Might make chili dogs tomorrow night.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #263 on: June 20, 2021, 11:06:11 PM »
Isn't the second one the bless'ed idiot who eats soup uncooked?

I skimmed his videos, and I'd characterize them as "Reviews of Food that makes you want to puke."  The moral of the story is that you don't have to add value to content to be on youtube, just make a video and upload it.  I prefer car repair videos.  He's pretty repulsive.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #264 on: July 03, 2021, 08:25:24 AM »
Breakfast is fresh pineapple and tiny flavor bomb bananas.  Earl Grey tea to drink (Taylors of Harrogate shipped via amazon).  amazon is an octopus.  You can have it shipped pretty much everywhere.

I'm going to attempt a batch of Pikliz today.  It's basically Haitian spicy sauerkraut.  Shredded cabbage, lime, scotch bonnet peppers, grated carrots, salt, vinegar, a little adobo and some crushed Maggi chicken broth cube.  Last time I went to the local Haitian barbeque, they'd run out. I had to wait so long for the new batch that the women took me into the kitchen where I was given a chair.  The great part of this was, I could watch them make it.  That, alone was a gift.  Normally, you let it sit in the fridge for 3 days before eating, but this was fine.  I took it home and left it overnight before I had it.

The barbequed chicken is brined and I can't figure out if they use a rub, but it's really good, although it makes you thirsty.  I guess it's not advisable for those on low sodium diets.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #265 on: July 04, 2021, 04:31:18 AM »
To be honest this morning was left-over pizza from watching the game last night. To make it more breakfastey, the missus threw on a couple of fried eggs.

Diet is going poo.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #266 on: July 04, 2021, 05:03:19 AM »
I made what six made, but way shittier.

The chicken came from a pouch, kind of like tuna fish, but I can't eat seafood. Some switch flipped when I was around six years old and I violently expel any seafood I eat. Makes family dinners at seafood restaurants awkward. (They used to all have one non-fish dish, but noooo)

Mixed that with some mayo, it was super bland so I chopped in some onion and horseradish.  The resulting combo tasted pretty good so I put it on some french rolls with some swiss.

The french rolls had expired. The mold taste was... floral? Either way the french rolls went to garbage town.

Thankfully we had fat onion hamburger buns so I just transferred the contents. Pretty good dinner, didn't have to engage any heating elements, was a good one. Oh, and banana pepper rings. I love those suckers.

Kind of reminds me of babish, he used to do one "Basic madam" version of the recipe, like screen accurate big kahuna burgers which were like bargain bin hamburger bun, frozen burger patty, cheapest american cheese in the store, squirt of ketchup.

And then he'd make the bread for the fancy one from scratch, the burger patty would be a blend of fanciful meats, the cheese would be artesinally sourced, the ketchup homemade.

I'm aware I bent up "artesinally" but spellcheck is saying arterial. If you've got arterial cheese, it's time to cut back.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #267 on: July 04, 2021, 10:53:14 PM »
I think it's artisan, artisanally? Who knows.  It's probably even harder to pronounce.  Chi Chi cheese.  I think "Chi Chis" means "tits" in Mexican Spanish.

I am having some green olives, smoked turkey and sheep milk cheese with some red wine.  Time for more tv.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #268 on: July 05, 2021, 01:55:26 PM »
Artesian wells are a thing, too, but they are unrelated to cheese.

When I was a child I used to go fishing with my family near Wallops Island, VA, near the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay.  We would access the boat via a potato farm that opened onto an inlet where the boats were stored.  There was an artesian well there.  The water came up through the ground via a pipe and it was drinkable.  Always cold and refreshing.  There were also tiny fiddler crabs that lived in little holes in the mud banks.  It was such an interesting place, basically marshland with navigable channels that led out to the sea.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #269 on: July 05, 2021, 11:17:06 PM »
Red enchiladas.

Pretty sure a generic red enchilada recipe would net you about the same. But this sauce sucked. :(

Which means I now have several days of dinners I won't want to eat. Joy.

Los Mochis red enchilada sauce, for those who would be warned.

Weirdly enough, I think it was including olive oil that ruined it.

https://world.openfoodfacts.org/product/0647878246101/los-mochis-red-enchilada-sauce
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 11:20:26 PM by 8ullfrog »