Author Topic: What are you eating / What did you eat.  (Read 64609 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: What are you eating / What did you eat.
« Reply #660 on: February 06, 2024, 08:59:53 PM »
Mac and cheese with turkey sausage.  got vetoed. I just wanted to do mac and cheese and run off some of the hot sauce I've got, but turkey introduces a whole different flavor profile. It's not bad, but I wouldn't go for it myself. The mac and cheese was bone standard, but adding any sort of sauce felt like it would be pushing the flavor over the edge, one taste too many.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #661 on: February 10, 2024, 10:23:07 AM »
Tea and muffin.  It's morning again.  The crows are outside making a fuss over something.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #662 on: February 12, 2024, 02:23:30 AM »
Old El Paso bent me again.

Made a perfectly normal tray of nachos, visually. Used old el paso fat free beans. Big mistake.

No bless'ed flavor whatsoever, it's like I mixed paste into perfectly fine nachos.

The previous time they disappointed me was with a similar flyover state enchilada sauce.

They can go golly ohio, I'll never buy their poo again.

I can hear bourdain mocking me from beyond.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #663 on: February 21, 2024, 08:51:46 PM »
I made a big pot of vegetable soup.  Not a bad dinner.  It's kind of cold outside.

Sorry I can't bring some over to your house, smokes.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #664 on: February 23, 2024, 07:21:28 PM »
Making Seville orange marmalade.  It's a multi day process.  My fingers are super pruny from cutting them up for the past 3 hours.  Now they soak in water overnight.  Thank god.  I think I'm getting a bit old for this.  They're only available here in the winter months so I figured I'd better get on with it.

Dinner is nuked Indian food.  Trader Joes makes good frozen entrees.  Butter chicken is a dish we love but so far haven't figured out how to make it ourselves.  It's so much easier to buy a package and hit it with microwaves for a few minutes.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #665 on: February 24, 2024, 04:57:24 AM »
Making Seville orange marmalade.  It's a multi day process.  My fingers are super pruny from cutting them up for the past 3 hours.  Now they soak in water overnight.  Thank god.  I think I'm getting a bit old for this.  They're only available here in the winter months so I figured I'd better get on with it.
One of the only marmalades I like

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #666 on: February 24, 2024, 09:34:18 AM »
This fruit, like quince, is only edible when it's processed.  The oranges have more seeds than any other citrus I've seen, and the rinds are kind of tough, so they soaked last night with the seeds and pulp in a muslin pouch.  Later today I'm going to boil them for  a few hours.  I'll finish the marmalade tomorrow.  But I love the bittersweet flavor.  I used to get Frank Cooper's Oxford Marmalade, but then I noticed they use high fructose corn syrup and other odd ingredients.  This marmalade is just fruit, sugar and a few additions like star anise, vanilla bean or rum.  I usually make a couple batches with various flavorings.  One recipe called for coffee, but I sort of feel like after 3 hours of chopping these rinds, I'm not about to take the risk of making something I'm not sure  I will like.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #667 on: February 25, 2024, 11:34:40 AM »
A neighbor gave me a bushel of sweet limes after her gardener radically pruned her tree.  They look like little lemons.  I juiced them yesterday and am making marmalade with them today.  They taste a little like a cross between a lemon and a lime.  Kind of like if Sprite grew on trees but without the sugar.  We'll see how this turns out.  There's hundreds of varieties of citrus out here and it's mind boggling. 

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #668 on: February 25, 2024, 02:51:05 PM »
Frozen potstickers. I read the ingredients on the included sauce and mixed up my own instead. one part vinegar-based habanero sauce mixed with two parts soy sauce.

It was fantastic, and I'll make the sauce again. I have to be careful with soy sauce though, lotta sodium.
(The original sauce was a soy sauce/sriracha blend with vinegar, so it's pretty close.)
(Low sodium soy sauce is an insult to food.)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #669 on: February 28, 2024, 08:52:27 PM »
Mom made her go to recipe, it's supposed to be southwest meatloaf pucks or whatever the recipe called it, something obnoxious like meat cupcakes.
I believe I mentioned before the recipe flat out says not to use turkey. It amuses mom to use turkey.

I always thought I got my stubborn and hardheaded nature from my father.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #670 on: March 05, 2024, 08:00:24 PM »
Botched a pizza, am sad.

Should have just made the crust from scratch instead of trusting a box. Even let it rest overnight. :(
Sauce also sucked, once again, should have done it from scratch.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #671 on: March 12, 2024, 12:14:18 PM »
On the East Coast where I am once again subject to the desire for "crisps" aka "potato chips" of the Utz variety.  I have a potato weakness.  I love them.  But especially the crispy versions.  I try to stay away from these carb heavy snacks but they are so delicious and I love the salt.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #672 on: March 12, 2024, 03:01:47 PM »
Last night I was going to do burritos but the onion caramelized so pretty I thought it would be a waste, so we did steak sandwiches.
It was good, but I wish I had some shreddice, it would have elevated the sandwich.

I didn't even do anything special, pure luck. Was just trying to brown it and instead almost had onion jam.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #673 on: March 12, 2024, 06:33:52 PM »
I used to make onion quiches and they require long carmelization of the onions before adding to the pastry shell with filling.  They become so sweet.  It's been years since I've made one as they're not ideal diet food but they're wonderful.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #674 on: March 22, 2024, 09:23:15 AM »
Scones with marmalade and tea.  So happy.