Author Topic: End of Thrones: All the spoilers.  (Read 9651 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: End of Thrones: All the spoilers.
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2019, 01:00:38 AM »
Jesus, this has devolved into a regular snorefest.  Grim and more grim.  Characters get to transform into their opposites on a dime.  It's the game of dimwits.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2019, 01:20:41 AM »
Oh, and they used "rocks fall everyone dies" for the series antagonist. The ending for D&D when you hate the player.

And the showrunners are named D&D.

Back in episode 2 was it? People wondered why they did the whole stupid dragon date, and it's become even more stupid as the season drags on. (Hah, six episodes)

Like, if it was to establish a bond between Jon and Rhaegal, that would have been cool. Dragon named after his dad.

Instead, they 360 noscoped Rhaegal for nothing in episode 4, and Dany has been in a bless'ed shitfit since JonGon revealed his true parentage.

Huh, did she go nuts because she found out she bent her nephew? Either way she's now worse than Cersei, Mountain, Euron, Ramsay, the slave masters, the sons of the harpy... Basically all the antagonists put together BUT night king, considering she just murdered like, 50,000 civilians due to bad mood.

So ruling Westeros just became pointless.

Eh, maybe in the last episode, they'll just come out, apologize, say they've hired new writers, and they're going to start the season over because no one liked it.

At least Tormund and Ghost got the golly out of Westeros. I really, really wish they'd taken Jaime and Tyrion with them, but eh.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2019, 02:12:00 AM »
Cersei had the opportunity to form an alliance with Danaerys and to fight the WhiteWalkers.  She was an bottom to the end who did not understand that having one's city transformed into a medieval version of WW2 Dresden was an immanent alternative.  I'm sort of happy that some well deserved bad guys got dead in this episode.

Maybe Arya realized that she's not quite as badass as she thought.  Too bad about Sandor Clegane, though, as I quite liked him.  The mad queen cowpoo is so misogynistic, and Varys' comments about men holding power made me glad he got turned into a barbeque.  He sure had it coming.  This whole "women with power go mad" thing just honks me off.  What a bunch of B.S.  Do they have the GOP moonlighting as scriptwriters or something?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2019, 02:50:06 AM »
Funny enough, people have been talking "Mad Queen" for quite a while. Used to be considered a shitty plot for fanfic, highly ridiculed.

And then they did it.

Cersei may have been offered a cease fire, but there was never going to be peace between Targigians and lannisters. Honestly, after the battle of Winterfell, Cersei should be winning. Hell, I think it was flat out stated they were screwed if they had to fight Cersei post "Long Night" (hah)

She saw Dany already lost one dragon to the Night King, and prepared Anti-Air defenses to deal with any survivors.

Those AA guns went from 3 direct hits in five seconds from a rolling ship to crap bow and arrows in one episode, it's crap.

Basically, while Cersei was always garbage, she should have won this. Even with Arya shanking the Night King, she's one Ninja Assasin against an army. Sandor was right to tell her to leave with a pulse.

Everyone got a lobotomy. Tyrion went from

"A wise man once said the true history of the world is a history of great conversations in elegant rooms"

to

YOU GOT NO cockerel LOL

Characters wear and discard plot armor with little rhyme or reason.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2019, 07:22:36 AM »
Those AA guns went from 3 direct hits in five seconds from a rolling ship to crap bow and arrows in one episode, it's crap.

Everyone got a lobotomy. Tyrion went from

"A wise man once said the true history of the world is a history of great conversations in elegant rooms"

to

YOU GOT NO cockerel LOL

Characters wear and discard plot armor with little rhyme or reason.

Agreed, especially about the lobotomy part.  Characters experience vast personality swings w/o rhyme or reason.  And don't get me started on the routine violations of the laws of physics.  https://www.tor.com/2019/05/08/doing-the-math-on-game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-4/

Highlights:  mortally wounded Jaime managed to kill Euron or whatever his name, and then gets up and walks to meet up with his sister who is inexplicably easy to find in the chaos so they can have one last romantic "let's get crushed to death" ending together.

Mad Queen goes on inexplicable strafing runs with dragon over civilian population, capriciously demolishing buildings in the very city she expects to rule over.  Once she's wiped out the navy and the scorpions that posed a threat to her dragon, the rest makes no sense, as she's made her displeasure with her friend's beheading clear.

Who's gonna pay to reconstruct all that?  And I'm sure that's a great way to win the hearts and minds of your future subjects.  Sure.  They're really gonna love you for that.  Why Jon won't sleep with her now?  That's not clear, give incest seems just fine among the Targaryens (I can't spell this stuff worth a damn.)  At least he can say something other than "you are my Queen."  What does that mean?  Go figure.  And what was that business about his contradicting the prediction that she couldn't bear children, just a tease?  There's loose threads and unexplained plot developments to addle the most on the top followers of the show.  I've read all the books and they're a ton better than the writing here.

I guess GRRM is just sitting back cashing checks and so that's made him lazy.  His absence here is glaringly obvious.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2019, 03:50:30 PM »
So far, the show's writers look like they were schooled by the wisdom in Lesson 2 ("The Ending") of Michael O'Donoghue's "How to Write Good."  Except they substituted giant rocks and getting stabbed for getting run over by a giant truck.

For the lazy among us, I append the relevant section:
All too often, the budding author finds that his tale has run its course and yet he sees no way to satisfactorily end it, or, in literary parlance, "wrap it up." Observe how easily I resolve this problem:

Suddenly, everyone was run over by a truck. -the end-

If the story happens to be set in England, use the same ending, slightly modified:

Suddenly, everyone was run over by a lorry. -the end-

If set in France:

Soudainement, tout le monde etait écrasé par un camion. -finis-

You'll be surprised at how many different settings and situations this ending applies to. For instance, if you were writing a story about ants, it would end "Suddenly, everyone was run over by a centipede." In fact, this is the only ending you ever need use.*

*Warning - if you are writing a story about trucks, do not have the trucks run over by a truck. Have the trucks run over by a mammoth truck.

http://www.workableweb.com/_pages/tips_how_to_write_good.htm

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2019, 06:00:39 PM »
On the Mysogyny front, apparently a targgigian queen already went nuts and burned a bunch of poo, so they got banned from ever holding the throne... but the secession thing was always cowpoo. 

Aryes disinherited Rhaegar and his kids, so Jon is disqualified. Women targigians aren't allowed to hold the throne, so no Dany. No one liked Stannis, but his was the claim, but Brienne killed him.

Oh poo, She'd probably make a good queen.
I
Apparently the offishul statement is she went nuts when she saw the red keep again. She's not trying to rule anymore, she's gone nuts.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2019, 09:42:13 PM »
You'd have thought that she'd cheer up after they killed all the dead blue guys.  But some people are never satisfied.  The last episode reminded me of "Earth vs the Flying Saucers," a 50's sci fi film that lovingly destroyed all of our treasured Washington DC monuments.  Except this time we get a pretty girl burning things down astride her dragon.

Really, given all the poo she's endured, Danaerys going nuts at this point makes zero sense.  I don't know about laws of inheritance or whatever other goofiness is going on, but she seems to feel entitled to govern, so destroying her capital city makes no sense either.  I suspect the writers had to keep the CGI guys happy so they could come up with the usual death and demolition animation.  Otherwise, their little feelings might be hurt.

How else to explain the absurd poo show that the last endless episode encapsulated.

And chrisT's observations about being able to set up a story but not end it seem completely on point here.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2019, 12:49:07 AM »
I'm serious, they're using the "inside the episode" segment HBO puts on their shows to excuse their shitty writing.

Like the reason the pirates of poo island (Ironborn) managed to kill Rhaegal is because Danoonoo forgot about them. Yes, she forgot they existed, despite flying directly over them.

That's where I got the "She went nuts when she saw the Red Keep" thing. She doesn't care about ruling, she's crazy.

I did read a funny fanfic where Yara Greyjoy explains her success and continued survival "Reave and leave, Let those crazy gits kill themselves"

Eh, at least they didn't kill her off. She logged her whole pirate fleet out of the server. The only winning move in this Game of Thrones is to refuse to play.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2019, 01:21:07 AM »
Well, yes.  The plain, serious fighting women are sort of in the background and one wonders what will become of them.  Brienne, Arya, and Yara all seem to forego vanity and take warfare seriously. 

There's plenty of speculation as to who ends up ruling over this unholy mess of a plot.  But I'm just expecting it will be a big surprise.  Some have mentioned Genry.  What happens to Jon who doesn't want to rule and the noble Tyrion Lannister who is basically decent?  As for Mr. 3 Eyed Raven, he seems content to just be all Psychic Hotline these days.  The whole plot twist with Danerys just annoys me, but she's clearly out of the running.  I don't like the cold north, but if it would get me away from the rest of those bozos, I'd be inclined to head that away to be free of the idiocy surrounding Kings' Landing.

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2019, 09:02:13 AM »
Boy, you guys sure love your shows. I used to have this kind of passion for music. I used to be a voracious reader, also, but, I don't waiste my time with fiction any longer. Hell, I went 8 years without a TV. lol When it came time to get another stereo, I decided to go ahead and go the home theater route. Uh, well, let me put it this way; I should probably only call Comcast when I plan on having company, then, have them disconnect it. lol I'm glad others enjoy it, I could do without it, myself.
Anyway, started my next project. This is why I have a 3 bedroom apartment: to store all my stuff (pneumatic tools, radial arm saw, etc...) Yeah, I know, I'm weird. I don't want to buy another home yet. Not sure what, or where, I want to do it yet. I've been thinking about transferring further south. The older I get, the more these Winters annoy me. I'm just waiting for the next company 'Change Of Operation'. That way I wont lose my seniority.
Alright you two, sorry for barging in. I feel like a kid jumping up and down, yelling, "Hey, over here, over here!". lol One more month and you will be free from my pestering.  :P

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2019, 10:53:59 AM »
I wouldn't go so far as to characterize our banter as unbridled passion for the topics.  It's just nice to have a common interest.

After 10-12 hours of school work, it's nice to kick back with a glass of wine and watch something.  I guess I could watch the Bold and the Beautiful or Parks and Recreation, preferably in that order, but given my fondness for Classical literature, these modern parallels are more interesting to me.  I was skeptical of the fuss over GoT until I watched a couple of episodes.  Despite the decline in plot development, they have some of the finest British actors currently working involved with the show.  There's little expense spared.  I was initially so impressed that after I ran out of episodes for the show, I read the books, which are even better.

You could always try watching an episode or two and then you might not feel so left out.

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2019, 11:11:35 AM »
LMAO! Maybe I should download Season #1. I know an awful lot of people really love this series. I'm afraid I am WAY too far behind to contribute to Bully's thread however.

I am very familiar with what you mean about 'work'. Once I go back to work next month, it will consume most of my time. I guess I shouldn't complain, I am compensated fairly. I'm afraid  the 'good ole days' of making a decent living working 9 to 5 w/weekends off are long gone. Ok, I'm done hijacking Bully's thread. He is going to give me the keyboard lashing of my life. lol  :o
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 11:35:14 AM by Schmoogsley »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2019, 07:23:40 PM »
Well you have until Sunday to get through eight seasons, but at this point I can't really recommend the series, considering what they've done with it this season.

I did like Arya making the extinction threat go away with one knife stab though. I've never been a fan of prophecy in a series, stinks too much of a roadmap that simultaneously dictates the future actions of characters and jacks off the writer while he tells himself how clever he is.

This mad queen poo though, they should have been selling it from day one. Maybe have HER be the one who abuses Viserys, like he's telling her not to marry Drogo because the Dothraki are super gross and essentially embody everything Westeros hates, and she's just like "I am taking the power you never managed to amass, beggar king. And then slaps him.

OOOH, later on, when they're in Vaes Dothrak, have him getting drunk, but HAPPY drunk, like he's made friends with Jorah, they share a laugh, she looks over, sneers, and signals Drogo to kill him.

As he's on his knees, and the gold is being melted, she has a monologue about how Viserys has become a threat to the rulership of her son, then you do the crown for a king thing.

Then you don't have to change  a whole lot, maybe have her be more into it when her dragons burn poo. Like the Arena scene, she was escaping on Drogon, not burning everyone alive.

I mean she's already proven to be a bad ruler, she essentially destabilizes power structures while moving on to the next thing. Tyrion, Missandei and Grey Worm were overwhelmed trying to rule in her stead. Contrast this to when Tyrion was Hand to Tywin and managed to repel the invasion of kings landing. Crap, he got some solid kills in, even when the kingsguard tried to assasinate him on Cersei's orders.

Instead, we have her go nuts because Jon wouldn't golly her.

This wasn't bad tho

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 11:29:09 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2019, 12:44:01 AM »
it tied off the loose ends (they wouldnt dare leave them open) and left lots of options.
It was only a tv series and if people didnt like the ending then tough. they liked all the other shocks trough out the series
A petition  lol get a life.

Spoiler (hover to show)