Author Topic: Stargate SG1 Season 8  (Read 7725 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Stargate SG1 Season 8
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2020, 06:16:20 PM »
Pete was 100% about the wedding, it was the series that bent with him. I don't really get why they killed General Carter/Selmak, and that episode was a hell of a downer on all fronts.

Once again, Ba'al profits off the works of the SGC, he's really good at that.

I actually liked fat golly Anubis. The Diner was picked out of Danny's brain from a time of conflict, that's why everyone is rocking 70's clothing. I was never a fan of tablecloth oil spill Anubis, so having him just be some fat guy in a diner was interesting. The actor was also good at portraying menace at the end there.

I suppose the replicators deserve to die, they don't really serve a purpose, not even an evil one.

I don't get why Repli-Carter didn't just zoom off into space until original Carter dies of old age. If she's so afraid of SG-1, she just needs to... outlive them. She's a machine.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2020, 07:28:43 PM »
You raise some good questions.  And it's not clear why plump good old boy replaces oil slick anubis, but there you have it.  He is sort of unctuous, really.  Oily and not trustworthy, and this sense is enhanced the longer one's exposure to him is.  Certainly better than a guy whose face is like a TV channel you can't quite dial in on.

Yeah.  Why they killed Samantha's dad didn't make much sense unless the actor had better things to do, but that's hard to imagine.  Replicators are not so much alive as animated, no?  They get reduced to puddles of material and that's a good thing.  Yeah.  Replica Carter seemed sort of ill equiped in the strategy dept.  She just reverted to whatever bad guys do on these shows, mostly strategies focused on intimidation, cruelty, threats and bullying.  She lies to Daniel, tells him she won't kill him and then she does just that.   What a twit.  She deserved to melt.  Dry look Ba'al really is like some guy who tried to pick you up in a bar in the 1980s.  Kind of handsome in a way that says, "don't trust me, not even to sell you a car."

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2020, 03:35:28 AM »
If I recall the correct episode/story arc, the actor (David DeLuise) who had no chemistry with Carter happens to be the brother of the director (Peter DeLuise) so...you know Hollywood, or in this case, Vancouver.
--dweez

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2020, 10:17:46 AM »
Aha.  Nepotism.  That explains a lot.  I started to watch the next episode but fell asleep so I'll have to pick it up later.  One thing that struck me though, is how well Daniel Jackson recovers from death.  Like he had a bad cold or something, and bounces back, looking buffed and better than ever.  And he's been dead, how many times now, twice?  Three times?  I was trying to remember his sarcophagus exploits.  Did they kill him between sessions or just wound him severely?  My memory isn't what it once was.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2020, 12:19:50 AM »
Moebius part 1
Pretty entertaining.  They go back in time to try to get a device to help with current alien tech only to find selves unable to use the ship to come back, so they place the device where it will be excavated in the future.  Fast forward to nerdy Daniel Jackson, archaeologist, teaching English as a second language while Carter is relegated to checking for errors in the work of other scientists.  A video tape of the SG1 team is uncovered and so DJ and Carter are called to Cheyenne Mt complex, but they aren't taken seriously even after they manage to locate the stargate.  They try to enlist Jack O'Neill, who prefers to hang out on his fishing boat and affect a Minnesotan accent.  He's having none of the archaeology/alien tech thing.  Doesn't care.  Just wants to hang out on the Homer and fish.

The makeup dept did a great job of nerding up DJ and Carter.  They're very funny looking.
Where's Teal'c?  Will the team ever get back to their own time?  Will they reunite?  Stay tuned.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2020, 07:52:47 PM »
The ESL thing is pretty funny, because Langford conned Danny into joining the project with "You've been evicted from your apartment, everything you own is in those two bags, what else will you do?"

I like to imagine Nerd Danny told her to go golly herself and got out of the car. I mean that's not what happened, but it's what I'll imagine.

Those two episodes may be my favorite episodes. We get the older episode running through woods stuff that I think the main show kind of ran into the ground with all the alpha sites being blown up.

Like, the episodes with Felger were the last ones with fun field work.

I guess I gotta go blaze through the rest of 9 now, you're catching up!

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2020, 11:55:24 PM »
Alright.  "Go back to Giza in 3000 BC."  Daniel Jackson is one sloppy archaeologist.  News flash.  No pyramids yet!  From Wikipedia:  "Based on a mark in an interior chamber naming the work gang and a reference to the Fourth Dynasty Egyptian pharaoh Khufu, some Egyptologists believe that the pyramid was thus built as a tomb over a 10- to 20-year period concluding around 2560 BC."  And while I really appreciate the pretty designs they decided to cover the exterior with, it was originally clad in a polished smooth layer of limestone that was to have reflected the sun.

But what's a few centuries among friends, eh?  Sorry.  I would expect a little more effort on the part of the writers to at least get the century right.  They fell short of the millenium by about 400 years.  Lordy.  I gotta say, though, that sand covered invisible ship was a real hoot.

And, again, in the end, they're fishing and the others show up with a cooler of beer.  Pretty funny.  So this is the end of season 8, and the next episode is season 9 with a special guest appearance by Richard Dean Anderson, so I guess he left the show with this episode.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 12:36:26 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2020, 12:08:04 AM »
In stargate the interior markings were fraud. Citation: Daniel Jackson.