Author Topic: Stargate SG1 Season 9  (Read 16942 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Stargate SG1 Season 9
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2020, 02:33:48 AM »
eh, the iratus bugs from Season 1 were nastier. I mean yeah, golly that planet in particular, but the planet with the iratus bugs was at a way higher tech level than most of the planets the SGC visited. It's a loot planet the SGC can't loot because of wasps the size of labradors. Plus if you get stung by the wasp you go full ALIEN as an incubation chamber for more nasty giant iratus bugs. That was actually really dark for early stargate.

These bugs might as well be the bless'ed scarab beetles from the mummy movie.  I liked the interactions between Teal'c and Mitchell in this one, and Mitchell once again kicking that assumption that he's a dumb good ol' boy out the window. Jack used feigned ignorance to conceal a sharp intelligence, Mitchell feels no need for a dumbo mask. Even when Teal'c and Mitchell are obviously scared, they do their best to "fly casual"

I do find the IOA an interesting concept. At this point, America has no monopoly on the gate. poo, they're leasing the gate they have from the russians.

Actually, that point in particular is dumb as golly, didn't carter jack a ship that had a cargo bay full of stargates? Why not return the Russian gate and tell them to shove it up their ass? They won't start another stargate program, they're already skittish from prior failures.

Instead, Washington haggles away space carriers to Russia to "lease" the gate. OY.

It does make sense to bring in an international funding source, considering the nations who are aware of the SGC, but they always made the IOA stupid baddies. This outing the Chinese representative is okay, but I remember one Chinese representative flat out trying to figure out how to sabotage the SGC so China could scoop up the rewards.

I heard the good fight did an episode where one of the characters crosses into a world where the presidential vote of last cycle was calculated correctly. Then of course, the synopsis claims "Not everything is better in this world"

No poo, there is no candyland better world, it's just the burning crapsack we already have, but it's fun to pretend!

I'm not sure where I picked it up, but apparently it costs 1 million to dial up the gate. That makes this trip EXTREMELY wasteful. I mean, I understand why they had to do it, but it's a trip to reality this show didn't have to take.

Aw poo, I read the gateworld article on the Chinese delegate, she is a duplicitous madam. I thought they'd avoid the "Yellow traitor" trope. I really did think stargate was better than that.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2020, 01:02:50 AM »
Arthur's Mantle.  Dimension shifts and zombie fighter guy result in a half hour's suspense.  Not bad for an hour show.  Need to eat regular meals.  Food is important.  Teal'c just rolls with it.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2020, 01:42:20 AM »
That was the guy Mitchell fought before.

I found the zombification suitably horrifying. Not sure why the SGC didn't try to backtrack that technology. The Mantle Tech! Not zombies. Never try to weaponize zombies, it just ends up bless'ed everyone over!

They wouldn't have to issue weapons to the gate team while phased... unless there are zombies.

Actually, why the golly did the zombie see Mitchell? I agree, that was one of the less painful episodes of 9.

One thing I don't get is why the golly they keep Bill Lee around? Even if he's the best in X field, he's the problem in most of the episodes he shows up in.

Even Felger proved useful occasionally. Granted, B'all totally stole his stargate software firewall idea. If that hadn't failed, the SGC would have been bent.

I like to imagine they congratulated Felger on his innovative strategies, and transferred him far away from any mission critical systems. Who knows, throw enough money at the politician and he might save the day again!

And at least Felger was threatned with termination for incompetence! I wonder if Lee is like Costanza. Got fired years ago and just - shows up.

Teal'c: And you are certain you will not be injured?
Mitchell: Absolutely. Hey, take your best shot if you don't— (Teal'c takes a swing at him)
Teal'c: Good luck, Colonel Mitchell.
Mitchell: Hey, did you even think twice about that?
Teal'c: I did not.
Mitchell: Huh.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 01:52:00 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2020, 01:53:31 AM »
Ha!  Crusade, Vala shows up in DJ's body mightily pregnant with the spawn of the Ori.  Voila, immaculate conception 2.0.  She doesn't seem particularly miffed about it.  What's up with that?  The villagers are idiot dullards who prostrate selves before Ori.

The Ori are planning big invasions, requiring drafts of the locals.  Everyone's an idiot.  Vala attempts to intervene.  Will she be successful?  Stay tuned.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2020, 01:59:30 AM »
I love how everyone assumes Mitchell is going to say... something else. Instead, King Arthur!

Also love how Teal'c flat out drops "Darth Vader". No hesitation.  You may vaguely recall that the Jaffa love the poo out of star wars, and O'Neill being slightly concerned with them NOT regarding it as fiction.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2020, 02:22:17 AM »
Yeah.  I'm thinking Virgin Mary.  I don't know about Darth Vader.  There's always Athena, product of parthenogenesis.  Zeus had a headache, got Hephaestus to help him out and Athena popped out of his head, fully grown, presumably armored.  That had to hurt.

And I don't know that I'd want to bear the Ori's kid.  Kind of like whacko Rosemary's Baby.  Ick and more ick.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2020, 02:51:19 AM »
Yeah, keep in mind those fucko's already burned her to death, as a party trick, and now they've put an evil baby in her.

So, I don't blame you for not watching the prequels, they don't really explain the Anakin Skywalker AKA Darth Vader thing either, but I will.

In a stupid shitty book, a muppet sith lord with no nose but super long head, A Muun... alright no one gives a poo what a muun is.

Anyway, THAT GUY was named Darth Plageus. And he was in the pursuit of immortality, like all self respecting dark lords.

So he came up with this "create a body with the force" scheme.

And Darth Sideus (Emperor from original star wars) blew up his space station.

But darth plageus had already made the force baby - Anakin Skywalker. And stuck it in a slave, on a desert planet.

Anakin was a joker in his own right, there was nothing that MADE him be a dark lord, and he went for the high score in killing little kids.

So Obi-wan chopped his arms and legs off and let him slowly fall towards a lava pit. Should have shoved him in, didn't have the heart.

Darth Sideous cackled, swooped in, and stuck him in the black suit. Which he made shitty. On purpose. To piss Anakin off.

This ultimately led to Anakin throwing him down a giant pit in the throne room. I dunno if they intended that to be an elevator, or express transit to the escape shuttle, either way, the Emperor had a pretty shitty day.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2020, 10:21:34 AM »
And his new clothes look fabulous.
--dweez

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2020, 11:38:00 AM »
Somehow, after those cute little teddybear things (ewoks?) who were running around in the last Star Wars movie I viewed (was it the third one?) sent me running for ipecac or insulin (your choice), I never had the desire to sit through another one.  We don't go to the theatre much, but it was the heavy corporate saccharin aspect that made me want to avoid future SW movies.  Maybe it was that, and the life sized cardboard cutouts in Target and the discounted movie merchandising there that sort of made me run the other way.

I'm not such a snob that I won't buy Angry Birds ziploc sandwich bags when they're on closeout special, but I don't really feel the need to pursue that stuff via cinema-going.

Thanks for the synopsis of the Star Wars prequels.  Poor Darth Vader.  Who was Luke Skywalker's mother, again, and how did she hook up with DVader?  I forget that, too.  Brain like a sieve lately.

And as for Vala, she seems to have dealt with the situation relatively well, saddled with an idiot religious nut for a husband and impregnated with the vile Ori child.  I'd be on a rocket ship to an off world clinic in her place.  I'm not clear as to why she ended up there in the first place?  Curiosity?  Desire to bilk a bunch of rubes for money?  I forget.  The episode sort of leaves one hanging at the end so I'll have to wait until later today.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 11:40:17 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2020, 11:14:00 PM »
I wonder if Marcia and George Lucas actually divorced over the ewoks.

Luke's mother was a Queen turned Space Senator. I thought it was crap designed to make Leia a "real princess" rather than an adopted one.

Their romance was excruciating to watch. He liked her because she's not like sand. Sand is course, rough, and irritating.

I vaguely recall Vala was sent to the Ori galaxy in a sacrifice play, but it must not have been all that memorable.

From Wobsite:

She flew a Tel'tak into a gap in the unfinished Supergate and thereby interfered with the Supergate's formation. The formation of the singularity thus destroyed the Supergate, but Vala was then presumed dead. Although she had attempted to ring back off of the Tel'tak before it was destroyed, she did not make it back onto the Prometheus.

After analyzing what happened, Lt. Colonel Samantha Carter came to the conclusion that Vala did in fact make it to the rings, but that her matter stream may have been sucked into the Alteran Home Galaxy
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 11:19:49 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2020, 11:45:50 PM »
I remember Vala flying that ship into the round formation to interrupt the Ori's efforts to build the supergate.  And I guess she was presumed dead, but then she's somehow on that planet with the religious nuts.  You'd have thought she'd avoid the place after they burned her alive.  I'll watch another episode now.

Yeah.  The whole backstory of Luke and Leia is missing in my memory, mostly because I don't think I ever knew it.  I just remember the reveal that Luke was Leia's brother.  He was interested in her as was Han Solo, but then that was resolved when they found out they were siblings.  Then I remember Luke finding out that Darth Vader was his father, but after that, I've got nothing.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2020, 01:19:49 AM »
Vala gives birth to horror show with amber contact lenses and an overdose of human growth hormone that makes her mature at an extraordinary rate.  The supergate gets put into place and the ugly ships that some bad CGI artist came up with for the Ori come through and kick everyone's ass.  The main characters continue to survive despite loss of expensive hardware and life of supporting cast.

End of season 9

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2020, 02:10:52 AM »
Everybody bless'ed died except teal'c and mitchell, and they can't exactly pick Carter up in the fighter.

So like, if they wanted to go dark with it, Carter dies while they watch.

I mean, that's not the direction they went with it, but the SGC lost this season hard.

I haven't watched any of 10 yet. poo.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2020, 08:52:52 AM »
Nah.  They can't kill Carter.  She's too central to the forward momentum of this shitshow.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2020, 04:28:45 PM »
But they did dangle the possibility.

Funny enough, the reason Vala became part of SG-1 at the start of season 9, and why Mitchell got command of the team, was because of Tapping being on maternity leave.

When they asked Claudia black back, after pretty clearly killing her off (Stargates are uni-directional, remember?)  She declined because SHE was pregnant.

So they wrote around it.