Author Topic: Stargate SG1 Season 10  (Read 11080 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Stargate SG1 Season 10
« on: April 24, 2020, 01:23:01 AM »
Oy.  So it goes on and on.  The writers are milking this Ori business until the cows come home.  And it gets tedious.  But that's of a piece with this dog's breakfast of a show.

Vela is a smartass but she tries to be an effective mother who reasons with and reins in an offspring who is presumptuous and a religious nut.  None of this works, so they all get beamed back to the home cast and they sit around on the ship trying to figure out what they need to do to get rid of the Ori once and for all.  They've got 19 more episodes to work this out.  God give me strength.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Stargate SG1 Season 10
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 02:08:54 AM »
Shitsnacks, you've managed to outpace me!

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 04:41:59 PM »
Catsup.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 07:58:53 PM »
I started, the recovery of Carter was pretty good stuff. We got the stakes, Carter warned it could be bug on windshield time, but Mitchell is that good of a pilot.

The indoctrination of that child was pretty lousy, she's got the whole host of demigod skills, but the baddies got to her first.

Dang, I understood why Mitchell got to the fighter ASAP, but Daniel totally bent the russians. "Set the nuke on a five second timer. BYE!"

Vala is incredibly bright in this outing, it's depressing that such jewels are hidden in such poo.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 08:08:16 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 02:41:15 AM »
Stay awake.  Very important.  Parasite will kill you otherwise.  The whole SG1 is popping no doz.  They get saved at the last minute by reinforcements.  Meanwhile VALA is getting psychologically evaluated to see if she's fit for SG program.  They give her a pass.

Then more fun as they do some physics with the black hole and blow up bad guy ships.  Yay.  While DJ and Vala are on Atlantis or some whack job's idea of what it looked like.  Even though it's discussed by Plato and may have been Thera, modern day Santorini, which blew up due to a volcano exploding (leaving the remnant of a caldera), it's got some kind of cheap o CGI skyscrapers on a watery planet and was once the hangout of merlin and fortuna or her equivalent, morgana?  Can't remember now.  She is presented as a hologram but she's there for real.  She's ascended (once again nobody bothers to take up the issue of direction) but still wants to help, even knowing that she'll be punished.

So that all works out except that the Ancients won't help against the Ori, which is kind of a problem.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 06:04:25 PM »
That's uh, Atlantis. Spin off series, actual set.

I did not care for the sleepisode.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 08:42:45 PM »
Sleepisode dull.

How many spinoffs are there for this show, anyway?  I know there's a couple of movies, but other series?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 09:05:08 PM »
So there's the 1994 movie

Then SG-1
Then Stargate: Atlantis, that's where they sent that lady who ran the SGC for a whopping two episodes.
Then the two continuation movies
Then Stargate: Universe, which everyone hated because they just jammed the grimdark of BSG into Stargate.

Then there was some web thing that was supposed to revitalize the brand and launch it's own streaming service, but that flopped.

Then the original creators said they were going to reboot stargate, but they don't have the rights or anything, so that fell through.

So it's pretty much dead now.

One of the actors on Atlantis actually got the money together to buy the franchise, but MGM refused. That guy must really like Stargate.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 12:34:52 AM »
Thanks.  I know I could have looked that up, but I was doing some tax return that ate my day.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 01:01:50 AM »
I'm not expecting you to jump to Atlantis after this, While it's more fun, this Ori poo has REALLY soured me on this rewatch.

We should have stopped on Moebius, that was charming. I do want to know what your opinion on 200 is though, I remember you enjoying how 100 mocked Daniel Jackson.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 01:34:32 AM »
Insiders.  It's a regular Baal convention.  The boys all get together to hoodwink SG1 into giving them a list of planets where the Ancients/Merlin's weapon was hidden.  Carter handed it over like a boy scout hoodwinked by some Vegas conmen.  Mr. Whitebread guy from D.C. (NID) runs interference for Baal clones and the baddies get to escape in their big pyramidal ship that, despite being as lacking in aerodynamism as humanly possible for a craft to be, manages to lift off and leave Earth's atmosphere.  Another episode where stupidity wins out.  Will the Goual'd manage to win out?  Will the dry look have a comeback?  Stay tuned.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2020, 03:57:07 AM »
Barret has actually shown up a few times. He's got a crush on Carter that is very clearly unreciprocated every time.
The BTS feature for this disc was a behind the scenes on this episode. I did find it interesting how they had to choreograph the poo out of the firefights to make sure all the shots matched up.

A whole lot of work for an honestly underwhelming episode. You can tell the tank is beginning to run dry. Ba'al gets away entirely too much, he might as well be cobra commander at this point.

Also, if he was this good at bless'ed over the SGC at this point, he'd kill them instead of using them as a think tank.  As slimily charming as he likes to portray himself, he is a thousands of years old system lord. The velvet glove poo is wearing thin.

Hell, he tortured O'Neill to death repeatedly in one of his earlier outings!

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2020, 11:11:13 AM »
Yeah.  The whole Baal thing didn't make a good deal of sense.

The Barrett guy's behavior was explained by Goua'ld mind control.  OK.  If Carter knew of this in advance, then why didn't they take greater precautions?  I'm sure glad this is fiction, because if this was real life, Earth would have been a goner long ago.  SG1, despite Carter's advanced tech, repeatedly exercises poor judgment in any number of episodes, from bringing back dangerous or infectious agents to stumbling into situations that a more judicious person would have avoided.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2020, 10:27:26 PM »
Barret is not part of the SGC chain of command but they have occasional overlap. He probably did do the orientation check for mind control. Remember, the SGC has an actual, working lie detector, and it can pick up brainwashing.

Keep in mind up to this point, he's been competent, helpful, and has saved SG-1's ass multiple times. He also cleared the slime out of the NID.

You're completely right about the SGC making wrong decisions though. It sucks that the one person who called them on their poo was a mustache twirling villain.

Ronald D Moore likes to use this as a device in his writing, having opposition show up and call the main cast out on their poo. Sadly, he also likes to go with the villain route.

I know the writers tried to avoid writing themselves into a corner, like not letting the SGC have a sarcophagus despite the SGC repeatedly capturing and destroying Hatak class vessels, but they hand the idiot ball around a bit too freely.

I do like when Jackson is wrong and gets petulant, I feel like maybe that's the writers taking potshots at shanks.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2020, 01:58:24 AM »
Uninvited.   One of the lamest episodes yet.  Some radioactively altered bears run around and maul people to death on two planets.  They had worms in them, odd black radioactive worms.  I had to fast forward through it.  Like the writers went on vacation. 

Beau Bridges talked way too much in this episode.  It's hard to reconcile the sense of cohesion and camaraderie that is so lacking between this general and the rest of SG1.