Author Topic: iPad Qs  (Read 4928 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
iPad Qs
« on: March 21, 2023, 09:42:59 AM »
Hi, I am bemoaning updating my iPad mini to the latest 16 operating system because it's ruined iBooks.  Will it be possible for me to reset the iPad and use a prior backup, say, from when I first purchased it in 2015, to restore the prior operating system?  Or will it just wipe out my data and keep iOs 16?  If it's the latter, it hardly seems worth the bother.

Otherwise, maybe I should just go hunting for an alternative ebook reader.  I need to be able to read epub files.  Pure and simple.  I just want to read my books without the hassle of fighting with apple over its "improved ibooks."  Thanks in advance for advice or suggestions.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: iPad Qs
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 10:55:57 AM »
Nevermind.  I downloaded Marvin3 which is a good epub reader, but it's not quite as seamless as the old ibooks (I deleted the new version of ibooks, since it now sucks).

This whole business took 3 hours out of my life that I won't get back, but it really makes me wonder what's up with those boneheads in Cupertino.  Maybe they are now supporting a culture of illiteracy and don't give a rat's ass about the reading public.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 01:26:57 AM »
Oh they want you to read. They just want you to pay THEM for the content.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 10:47:24 AM »
Probably.  But I'm not playing.  It's stupid, really, given the unlimited free access afforded by numerous library systems.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 03:06:30 AM »
You think that's dumb? They've been wiping people's music libaries and replacing them with random ones.

And we're supposed to trust them with the cloud. Honestly, that U2 Album was a massive bless'ed warning.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2023, 05:52:20 PM »
I don't trust Apple's cloud for any number of reasons.  My stuff is backed up on multiple flash drives and hard drives.  I guess thermonuclear war would wipe them out due to ionizing radiation, and the resulting electromagnetism, but I guess if I survived the blast, I'd have other things to worry about than whether my data was backed up.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2023, 08:57:18 AM »
I have an old iPhone 6 with a cracked screen that is too much of a dinosaur to use as a phone, but it works fine as an iPod.  The problem was my need to screw around with "Music" to load new playlists.  That took an hour of my life to figure out.  apple has jumped the shark at this point.  Their aim is to enhance their quarterly earnings over any prior commitment to user experience and optimising design that has any aim but to sell more apple products.  There's no way I'm getting an apple credit card or using apple pay.  This is just too much of an overreach for one single company.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2023, 08:05:42 AM »
Have a iPad mini which i think is the dogs Blx but I find it keeping turning itself on , any ideas as to why.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2023, 10:22:14 AM »
I use my mini extensively, as it's lighter than a regular ipad and I read in bed a lot.  That said, unless you explicitly command it to power down, it remains on. Are you saying that after telling it to turn off, and after doing that successfully, it still decides to power itself back on?  Could be a problem with the power supply switch, but other than that, maybe poltergeist?  Is it still under warranty?

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2023, 07:30:34 AM »
I use the power switch on the "top" off the iPad to instruct it to power off then the slide on the screen to confirm this, then find out later it has turned back on (even if I don't put it on charge) ???

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2023, 04:43:15 PM »
Sorry - I used to know about such things, but I have retired and IT is now the purview of my grandchildren.

This is truly sad news.

So, in the interests of the blind leading the blind, I found this (although my gut tells me it's a hardware problem).
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/turning-off-ipad-keeps-turning-back-62191.html

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2023, 07:49:10 AM »
tried a lot of "fixes" from google. still has a mind of its own.
TBH I dont have a lot of Apps on it except VLC for movies. The rest are inbuilt cannot remove off my property Apple "must haves"

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2023, 08:09:42 AM »
As I recall*, Apple have relented and now allow you to remove pretty much everything (other than "settings" and suchlike). If your OS is new enough.

* from the olden days, when I was into IT.
:)