Author Topic: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?  (Read 350901 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?
« Reply #2040 on: September 08, 2023, 01:35:41 PM »
Yes, but with Wheel of Time he/ they actually wrote seven hundred and fifty six books. There were so many that when the original author died, he posthumously hired someone else to keep writing away. Like ASOIAF but with an eventual ending. It may be that WoT was published in 20 books, but each of them was ten times the size of a real book.

I wish I had the discipline to write that constantly.  George Simenon really could crank them out.  Of course I had to google who the most prolific were and got this:
https://thebookslist.com/most-prolific-authors/

p.s.  One wonders where they'd even begin to take such a body of work and reduce it to a comprehensible television series.  Talk about an embarrassment of riches.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2041 on: September 09, 2023, 01:48:08 AM »
ATM I am up to S02E03 in the TV series and has grabbed me with anticipation of the next episode.
Effects and storyline are good for a adaptation of large novels.
But as with all adaptations of Fantasy/Sci-Fi the book to screen is always a little disappointed as everyone has a personal opinion idea of what they look/act like. Why I love books to Screen in this genre.

A lot of emphasis is on the Aes Sadai and their twists and turns.
The Dragons  are to me almost a side note at times.

Daniel Henney  as the Aes Sadai  Warden just doesn't cut it FOR ME, I always remember the cover of the first book and the warden as more of a huge medieval knight.
Rosamund is the STAR of the series and isnt too bad, acts with an aloof WTF is going on sort of face.

The Dragons have quite decent actors and some could make it big, especially Josha Stradowski, who has that something about him.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2042 on: September 10, 2023, 09:27:11 AM »
Interesting as they only have released the first episode of Series 2 here.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2043 on: September 18, 2023, 08:33:50 AM »
Started watching few Walking dead off shoots,
Finished Walking Dead - Dead City  nothing new.
Finished Walking Dead - Tales of the Walking dead,  Enjoyed the first episode then it went into twilight zone sort of episodes.  ??? ???
Watching Walking Dead- World beyond, Starts OK then twists and turns and same O same O.
Dont regret stopping the Original series many years ago after viewing these.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #2044 on: September 19, 2023, 08:02:39 AM »
Just finished the 3rd season of Warrior and I'm pretty sure that, season on season, it's steadily becoming less entertaining. It's hard to tell when a fifth of each episode is reserved for kung-fu.

Kung-fu is always entertaining ... Grasshopper.

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #2045 on: September 21, 2023, 02:43:50 AM »

Finished Walking Dead - Dead City  nothing new.

I watched the first episode of that last night and I found the production quality absolutely appalling. It was like it was put together by college students?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2046 on: September 21, 2023, 03:49:04 AM »
Why do all the twists on zombie fiction suck?

Honestly it's the same with the vampires.

Not good enough to have unholy nightmares, we have to spruce it up.

Why make the zombies smarter? Why give the zombies superpowers? You've already ended the world, there's your funking setting!

How do people live on after that. Why are new car models showing up?

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2047 on: September 22, 2023, 06:37:22 AM »
Just finished the 3rd season of Warrior and I'm pretty sure that, season on season, it's steadily becoming less entertaining. It's hard to tell when a fifth of each episode is reserved for kung-fu.

Kung-fu is always entertaining ... Grasshopper.

I once watched Enter the Dragon 3 times in a row.  It's hard to beat the grace and power of Bruce Lee.  Zombies not so much.  I don't think I'd even be interested in seeing Night of the Living Dead twice.  I get it. They're back and they are hungry: brains!

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #2048 on: October 01, 2023, 03:31:26 PM »
I think I mentioned we're watching Star Trek Strange New Worlds, and I have just had the misfortune of watching the episode "subspace rhapsody". I realise that there are those who think it's marvellous, but for me, it was the final nail in the coffin of that dreadful show.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2049 on: October 01, 2023, 07:27:32 PM »
I never watched the Buffy musical episode. It's indulgent. And not in a good way.

I watched the first season of that Discovery show and felt deep hurting in my brain. It reminded me of almost every series I've dropped. You've got a protagonist set up as the savior of the universe, only, she's unlikable, and the world bless'ed revolves around her.
Apologies to Miss Green, but she cannot carry that weight. Even if you made her a total joker to start with, and boy howdy did they, there is no redemption. She's the same joker she was in the pilot, and I'd wager a bet she's still an bottom up to now in the series, occasionally crying.

Honestly, it's surprising Star Trek managed to avoid such a premise for so long. The early 2000's star wars were all about the unlikable center of the universe, going around like a human trash can, scowling at everything.

The duty of the writers and producers is to make us like the protaganist, and give a poo about the things they are doing. No matter how Strong and Brave they may be, if they're a joker, they're a joker. And if I want to see that, I'll take another job at a supermarket and look to my manager.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2050 on: October 02, 2023, 04:03:18 PM »
I never watched the Buffy musical episode. It's indulgent. And not in a good way.

Honestly, it's surprising Star Trek managed to avoid such a premise for so long. The early 2000's star wars were all about the unlikable center of the universe, going around like a human trash can, scowling at everything.

The duty of the writers and producers is to make us like the protaganist, and give a poo about the things they are doing. No matter how Strong and Brave they may be, if they're a joker, they're a joker. And if I want to see that, I'll take another job at a supermarket and look to my manager.

Thanks for the laugh.  My morning was kind of depressing until I came on here and read that.  Maybe I misread this, but the idea of Darth Vader as a human trash can, venting and running around scowling at everything was hysterical.  I also like the idea of getting an underpaid supermarket job where at least you get paid to be abused.

We started watching The Undertaker again, which is charming as a detective series. Continuing with the French series, "Cherif."  That's a light and entertaining show.  The Air BnBs we are at don't even give access to public television, as they are all on some weird Roku channel with non stop channels featuring 24 hours of Doc Martin, Judge shows, bad sports channels, and corny movies.  I'm grateful for streaming access to Hoopla from my library and the HD I brought with some decent shows that we can watch on my laptop.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2051 on: October 03, 2023, 07:36:55 AM »
The Old man, nearly to the end

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #2052 on: October 04, 2023, 02:12:43 PM »
I really love Schitt's Creek. Never known a show to give me so many belly laughs!

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #2053 on: October 04, 2023, 08:27:24 PM »
Re-watching Grimm.
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #2054 on: October 05, 2023, 04:10:37 AM »
The Jewish stereotypes drove me out of that series before the end of episode 1.

Were you ok with the gay stereotypes, airhead stereotypes, small town stereotypes etc. etc.?

Personally, I think the show is incredibly well crafted as the changes in family's attitude to life and one another are very subtle and gradual. It's only further down the line you witness how much of a "family" they've become.