Author Topic: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?  (Read 333626 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?
« Reply #1410 on: June 17, 2019, 12:38:44 PM »
I'm getting a little sick of the ads for "The Boys". Mainly because I want to watch the show, and it isn't coming out until July 26th.

It was a supremely bent up comic book, and it looks like the show is going all in. For example, the boys answer to the Avengers bent up 9/11 so bad the twin towers are still there, but the brooklyn bridge got blown the golly up.

Kinda sad, the main character was written and drawn as Simon Pegg, but it's been so long he wouldn't fit the role any longer.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1411 on: June 23, 2019, 02:31:49 AM »
Jett.  Hot babe fresh out of prison gets dragged back into a life of crime.  Deep throaty voice and quiet demeanor.  First episode looked promising.  Main actress is a stunner.  Some of the choices re:  which people got offed made no sense from a practical standpoint, so I'm not so sure about the writing, but I'll try another episode.

I watched the first episode of Absentia but got bored.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1412 on: June 24, 2019, 01:32:38 AM »
Jett continues to entertain.  It's sort of like a Quinn/Martin production in that it often has a funky soundtrack and brilliant plans that someone has to screw up.  There's flashbacks to help explain the main characters and their subsequent development.

After this, I'm out of tv for the night.  Back to reading.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1413 on: June 28, 2019, 12:32:30 AM »
I started watching Killing Eve, which is promising, and Strange Angels, also ok for now.  I'm in the middle of episode 1 of the latter.  Since my husband now wants to watch KE, I have to put it on hold as I can't include it in my late night viewing.

He offered to watch the Michael Jackson, Finding Neverland, documentary with me, and I said, look, you watch part 1.  I don't need to go over that again.  I'll watch part 2 with you if you are interested.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1414 on: June 29, 2019, 01:42:27 AM »
Tried to watch LA's finest. I liked the premise, female version of bad boys set in LA.

Then they were "Strong female characters" which apparently means write them as men, but jam in relationship poo.

Honestly, I burned out after the ducati chase. Ernie Hudson can't save this one, it's a shitshow.

Apparently super dangerous workplace too, one of the showrunners lost his leg beneath the knee because they were dipshits about framing a stunt.

I mean, there are a thousand ways you can end up losing a leg, but for this damn' show?

I mean most garbage shows I at least finish the pilot, but they overplayed the hooks they were going to use to make you watch the entire season. What is Gabrielle Unions secret, who is she hunting, will she catch them, Why is she keeping it a secret from her partner? WHO GIVES A poo, YOU DIDN'T MAKE ME CARE ABOUT HER IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Jessica Alba is as exciting as always, which is to say not, and her wrist scribble tattoo is super distracting. I kept thinking she had something tied around her wrist, but nope, crappy tattoo. They gave her a starter family and made her a stepmom to remind you that she's a woman.

Speaking of trash femininity, Gabrielle Union performs the "you don't have to go home but you can't stay here" poo to her FWB. Way to write an empowered woman, writers!

So, avoid like plague. I'm pissed I typed so many words about it.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1415 on: June 29, 2019, 05:54:47 AM »
After such a ringing endorsement, I had to give it a look.  I didn't last 10 minutes.  You have a stronger stomach than I do.  I wanted to get in there with some makeup remover wipes and clean off the half inch of pancake.   There's nothing you can do with that much styling gel but a full shampoo.

Smartass girl cops ignore live ammo and robberies in order to trade quips.  I couldn't take any more.  You sort of wanted their asses shot just to shut them up.  I read in the Wikipedia article that NBC passed on the pilot.  Sony Pictures Television clearly thinks this is bankable.  I'm glad I'm not invested in that company.

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #1416 on: June 29, 2019, 03:39:45 PM »
Completely agree about Jessica Alba. She relies way too much on her looks. She is very pretty though. Will admit that.
I also never could buy into scenes of 100 lb. girls beating the crap out of a 6' 5"  300 lb. muscle bound dudes. And then getting hit on the head with a frying pan for rolling my eyes.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1417 on: June 29, 2019, 04:12:30 PM »
Yeah.  In the brief snippet I saw, the reaction of the robbers to these two pompous twits was inexplicable.  Why they didn't waste these petulant stand-ins for law enforcement is only attributable to some fantasy on the part of the script writers.

The other thing that I found utterly unprofessional and that beggared belief was their failure to follow through for backup/to write up a report/and, instead, slapped down a box of condoms "cause I've got a date tonight" on the counter (don't forget the Skittles).  In the real world, their life expectancy would be shorter than that of an average gnat.

This is the kind of show where I would normally waste energy resisting the urge to hurl things at the tv out of sheer annoyance.  That 8ully managed to make it as far as he did, and encapsulate it in his usual entertaining and detached manner is a credit to his tolerance.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 04:18:51 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1418 on: June 29, 2019, 08:31:30 PM »
That's actually a joke from the loaded weapon movie. In loaded weapon, it was to establish how unobservant and stupid Emilio Estivez' character was, and to lampoon the cool calm collected cop in tense situation trope.

In the show, it's supposed to imply how badass and unphased they are. Also that they don't play by the rules... MAN!

I really, really wanted something new to watch.

Huh, I was wrong about loaded weapon, but here's the scene anyway:

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1419 on: June 30, 2019, 02:04:13 AM »
Jett is the thinking person's answer to the basic idea behind LA's Finest.  It features intelligent women who wield power through superior intelligence in an underworld dominated by male thugs.  And without stupid quips and a surplus of makeup and hairstyling products

I've just seen episode 3 and it just keeps getting better and better.

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #1420 on: June 30, 2019, 05:36:33 AM »
Oh, and, about 4 months ago, I got pulled over (was in a hurry to refill my pain meds. I was in MAJOR pain). Anyway, this female cop must have been 5' even and 110 lbs. If I was a real bad guy, she wouldn't have stood a chance. (I'm a big dude). I could have grabbed her with my good arm and thrown her 50 yards. Reality. Also, I pray we never have another draft and they actually draft women for infantry duty. Good God almighty. Oh, and, these transgenders who are cleaning up in women's sports; are you kidding me? Come on, that's terrible.  Sorry for the rant. I'm tired and in a bad mood.  >:(

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1421 on: June 30, 2019, 07:14:19 AM »
A&E had a cop show before the latest garbage one, and the female (ugh, sounds ferengi) Woman Cops always seemed to have that chihuahua rage.

My mom's 5'4, and she's gone into that small berserker mode. I've had to pick her up and put her inside a couple times, and BOY DOES SHE ENJOY THAT.

It's like "Yeah, you could have got in that guy's face, but he could have punched your teeth down your throat." That's how my dad explained it to me. Never give in to a rage, never start a fight.

Unless you're wolverine or x-23, then the teeth grow back, so go nuts.

One time a fairly bulky cop made my buddy walk half a mile to pick up the litter he threw out the window. We're talkin' a real Brienne of Tarth. I thought she had my number when she pulled me over, but she just told me not to talk, and she told him to walk.

He walked.

It was one of those vending machine bags of cheetoes. We had plenty of room in the cab. I'm glad she marched him.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1422 on: June 30, 2019, 11:14:02 AM »
My mom's 5'4, and she's gone into that small berserker mode. I've had to pick her up and put her inside a couple times, and BOY DOES SHE ENJOY THAT.

I laughed when I read that.  It's up there with telling a woman to calm down when she's trying to make a point.  There's nothing more likely to agitate a person who is calm than telling them to calm down.  A friend/coworker many years ago, a pretty petite blonde woman, decided to become a cop.  She was pleasant but quiet.  I saw her arresting someone once as I drove by.  I sort of feared for her, because I liked her and I know cops can get hurt on the job.  But I don't think that she's the kind of person who would take unnecessary risks or engage in chihuahua rage.  She was one of the calmest people I'd ever met.  Too bad more cops aren't like that.  Those two on the LA Finest show might as well have "I'm itching for a beat down" tatooed on their foreheads.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1423 on: July 01, 2019, 02:36:04 AM »
She was an important part of "Idle Hands".

I had to look that up.  Gnarly.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1424 on: July 01, 2019, 10:26:45 AM »
I had to look that up.  Touché.

Given you can't swing a cat without hitting an expat Brit around these parts, I'm surprised to hear that.