Author Topic: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?  (Read 333739 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?
« Reply #1485 on: August 13, 2019, 10:37:00 AM »
The tissues are a callback to the movie, and also a signal not to shoot them.

The scene where Shar'e is implanted with a goauld was forced on the production by SHOWTIME. They wanted to sex the show up, and THAT was the direction they decided to go with it.

The snake like goauld are similar to buffyverse vampires. Once you have one stuck in you, you're out of the drivers seat, and the snake is in.
Next time you see her, pause the show and look at her hat, it's a funny joke from the costume designer.

On the DVD special features, Don S. Davis talks about getting his showbiz start as a body double on MacGyver.

His last role was a reprisal of General Hammond for a stargate movie.

He tends to be on the ball in most episodes, and frequently calls on the main team's BS. I think I already mentioned he REALLY HATES the Quantum Mirror.

The MP5 SMG actually did have that flaw where the 9 mm round failed to penetrate vehicles, so there is some ricochet, but the Jaffa do tend to die if the soldier concentrates enough fire on them.

The planet from the original film, Abydos is used by the Goauld for two purposes - breeding attractive hosts, and mining space metals for their spaceships and staff weapons.

I found a picture of the power cell

http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/File:216_liquid_naquadah_staff.jpg
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 10:47:36 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1486 on: August 13, 2019, 10:45:44 AM »
It looks like bubble lights from a Christmas tree.

Damn.  I just log into amazon prime and let this bizarre show play while I do other things.  It's mindless entertainment.  And yeah, those goau'ld crabby things are just odd.  I expect that you need some kind of annoying crustacean looking thing to make them creepy.  They remind me of the slugs from The Puppet Masters.

And shooting with automatic rifles at some superior alien force that has weapons that are the equivalent to a rocket launcher against a slingshot is  a popular trope that goes all the way back to Godzilla.  No matter what the threat, we use the weapons we have, even if doing so causes more harm to us than not using them.  As for Don S. Davis, I'm sure he's just playing along and following direction.  I just think his character could seem more intelligent and nuanced.  As he appears here, he comes across as some kind of paper pusher, not a decorated warrior with experience.  There's a good deal of missed opportunity with such supporting actors.  But everyone's a critic, right/

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1487 on: August 13, 2019, 10:48:27 AM »
He gets more to do as the show goes on.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1488 on: August 14, 2019, 11:46:06 AM »
I think the longevity of Scorpion was that it cost almost nothing to make. No one actually believes the bloated creators claims.

I am happy that quite a few series I despised the existence of are now cancelled.

Nick Sax was nuts on Happy! I believe that was the first time I heard "golly" on non pay television.

Still not sure why you're calling Goauld crabs, they're pretty snakelike. There's some actual eel that looks just like them, but the image I downloaded is p3fefxfvewsfsef.jpg, not the actual name, which I set when I downloaded it. bless'ed android.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1489 on: August 15, 2019, 10:39:12 AM »
Season 3 of Handmaid's Tale ends on an encouraging note.  The show has been renewed for a 4th season.  Resistance takes time.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1490 on: August 15, 2019, 11:03:48 AM »
Seriously, resistance movement, scientology, like does she not get it, either way?

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1491 on: August 15, 2019, 02:14:27 PM »
Seriously, resistance movement, scientology, like does she not get it, either way?

Yeah.  What is it they say about consistency being the hobgoblin of little minds?  One wonders how such a talented actress can't get it.  There's always hope.  It was nice to see some bad guys get their comeuppance, though.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1492 on: August 16, 2019, 02:52:17 AM »
Jeff Bezos seems to have decent tastes in SF and Fantasy, so I am holding out hopes that this will be an interesting series.  I read all of the Expanse books a few years ago, and perhaps I can look at the first of these novels as I'm often looking for decent science fiction to read.

I read the Ancillary trilogy by Ann Leckie, and there's considerable flexibility re gender and related pronouns in those books.  They're not bad, although there's plenty of other books that are better.  Tired now, so I'll sign off.  And I'm not setting an alarm.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1493 on: August 16, 2019, 08:00:48 PM »
You ever see Event Horizon? I've got no clue how they're going to turn that into a show.

Be funny if they made it one episode, get to the point where Miller says he's going to nuke the ship, have him do that, and avoid the rest of the film.

Then they could just have like, a search and rescue series where the Lewis&Clark crew run out to various lagrange points. Almost like my BSG/Armageddon idea that I never bothered fully fleshing out.

First, after finally having viewed the Apocalyptic Log entry, depicting the insane original crew torturing each other in severely hideous ways:
Miller: (deadpan) We're leaving.
Second, this exchange immediately afterwards:
Weir: You can't just leave her!
Miller: I have no intention of leaving her, Dr Weir. I plan to take the Lewis and Clark to a safe distance and then launch TAC missiles at her until I am satisfied the Event Horizon has been vaporized. golly this ship!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 10:50:07 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1494 on: August 17, 2019, 07:57:17 PM »
Yeah, I am increasingly alienated by the daily helping of rage and self righteous indignation I see on Facebook.  I try to stay away from that as much as possible.  I guess it's like the neighborhood gossip circle amped up on steroids because people can participate as regularly as they like.

I'm slowly ploughing through SG1 and find it sort of silly but that anthropologist needs to learn how to pronounce Mycenae a little bit better if he's not going to be a laughingstock.  On the other hand, he does know how to deliver babies, which is a plus.  The show is odd.  I watch it as I'm in a slow place re having compelling tv to watch so this is a good filler. 

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1495 on: August 18, 2019, 04:42:08 PM »
Daniel is an Archaeologist.

He is supposed to know 23 earth languages and several offworld ones. I recommend against googling the character, as Wikipedia spoils his entire series arc in the first paragraph.

Today in the goodwill I saw a kid hanging from a clothing rack, and I turned and told my mom that I got hurt pretty bad doing that once. (In my case, the rack came down.)

The mother interjected into the conversation telling me not to tell her how to raise her damn' kids.
Then she wanted to do further tirade.

I pointed at my mom and said "I was talking to her", Hideous dye-job continues on her tirade, so I lost my cool. I held my hand out, palm up, and said "Shove it".

She began screaming curse words, so I left the art section and looked at frying pans instead. Art's more mom's deal anyway. Hideous dye-job had another kid strapped to her back, so a brisk walking pace allowed my escape.

Then I went and bought beer.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 04:48:43 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1496 on: August 18, 2019, 09:38:47 PM »
There was a joke, can't remember but I believe it's in the original film, where Daniel explains he was able to figure out "the secret" by figuring out the vowels.

Ancient Egyptian didn't have vowels.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1497 on: August 19, 2019, 12:26:14 AM »
They had vowels but the hieroglyphic symbols that were phonetic were consonants.  So you are right about the texts.  It would be hard to speak in just consonants.

Not even Cthulhu can do that.  And if he's an archaeologist he has no excuse to be mispronouncing "Mycenae."  I think he said some stupid stuff about Linear A while he was rambling on.  It was cringeworthy.

Not as cringeworthy as the irate mother in the Goodwill.  Women with kids can be really uppity when it comes to your expressing concern about the children harming themselves.  I once was friendly with a woman at the university who had a small child (like maybe a little under 2 years old) who was old enough to walk, a toddler, who climbed up on top of a windowsill (the window was inset into the wall but about 4 feet off the floor).  I expressed concern as a fall would be pretty devastating from that height.  She ran over picked up the kid and never spoke to me again.  Go figure.  Now this was the nice university version of what you encountered.  Instead of a stream of profanities, I got the cold shoulder for having the audacity to be worried about her child's safety.  So you did what you should have, although I love aelthric's suggestion for viral video.  Talk about profiting from a negative experience.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1498 on: August 19, 2019, 12:31:57 AM »
I was in bike shorts and a tank top, no pockets, no phone. I have one of those keychains where it's like an old rotary phone cord on my wrist.

I believe the line about Daniel figuring out the "vowels" on the coverstone was a joke.

Once again, cultural drift is to be expected on these worlds.

Seriously though, hearing your thoughts on these episodes does raise my day up a bit.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1499 on: August 19, 2019, 02:34:16 AM »
I'm up to episode 12.
So far I got to see old lady go through stargate to find her ancient fiancé in an abandoned seaside castle with a device that seemed some kind of encyclopedic projection and then Teal'c goes home to keep his son from being implanted with a big worm only to have to do it himself when he gets scarlet fever and they don't have enough antibiotics.

It's really the lite n laffy version of space exploration.  The Expanse is much more nuanced.  Humans are the bad guys there.