Author Topic: Latest Movie You Watched  (Read 416936 times)

Offline Geemonster

• Banned for all eternity
  • Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
Re: Latest Movie You Watched
« Reply #285 on: January 02, 2010, 03:16:07 AM »
No Country For Old Men (2008)
 Coen brothers film superb as usual.10/10

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #286 on: January 02, 2010, 07:06:08 AM »
i watched the boat that rocked.

In the US same movie different name - Pirate Radio (USA). I thought it was one of the worst movies I had seen in a decade. Even with some of my favorite actors it couldnt be saved. But once again, different strokes. 3/10

No Country For Old Men (2008)
 Coen brothers film superb as usual.10/10

I remember discussing this indetail after the film swept at the Academy Awards. I still dont get it. But i am the minority here, mos people really liked it. 5/10

outlander - disapointed to be truthful.

Know nothing, look into it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 08:29:36 AM by ohcheap1 »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #287 on: January 02, 2010, 07:17:10 AM »
Me and the Fam watched "Where The Wild Things Are" last night and it was about as disappointing as it could get.  If I were to truly write a critique I would be here till the next new year - but in essence it was how distant it was from the sentiment of the book that really annoyed me.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #288 on: January 02, 2010, 07:52:51 AM »
Me and the Fam watched "Where The Wild Things Are" last night and it was about as disappointing as it could get.  If I were to truly write a critique I would be here till the next new year - but in essence it was how distant it was from the sentiment of the book that really annoyed me.

WOW!!! The only thing that I might agree with you on this is one thing: "Me and the Fam watched". This was not a kids movie.

I thought this was a brilliant film. I think it will be worshiped by any and all people that grew up with some kind of weight on their preverbial shoulders as a kid. I felt a kinship in the boy that I rarely feel with movie characters. I do think it was marketed to strongly as a children film. Although if your child were a teenager when seeing it, they might of really liked it. But it was definately to deep for a child. The intention is to see a light at the end of the tunnel but it was buried WAY to deep for a kid to see that. 7/10

Back to the ol'-To each his own.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #289 on: January 02, 2010, 08:03:15 AM »
That film failed on so many levels I can't even count them (and I can count higher than 100).  It mainly failed because the film had to be made in such a way that it not overly frighten its intended audience (children).  Because of that it lacked all the essential elements of the book (like danger and excitement) and all in all it would have sent me to sleep at 1 in the afternoon.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #290 on: January 02, 2010, 08:26:36 AM »
As mentioned, to each his own, different people can see different things in film and literature. Where you were disapointed, I on the other hand was not. I was pleasantly surprised.

Great when two different opinions can appear on the same thread without trying to intentionally overshadow one another isnt it?

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
  • With powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear.
    • TITLE!
« Reply #291 on: January 02, 2010, 09:10:14 AM »
I think you are both insane. I cant find a single good quality about that film. Of course IM the minority here.
You should watch Moon.  I've not seen District 9 yet, but Moon received some good reviews as well.

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!

Offline feelingindifferent

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #292 on: January 02, 2010, 09:15:50 AM »
I haven't seen District 9 or Moon yet :-\
I just finished watching Speed on TV. Just some mindless entertainment. :)

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
  • With powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear.
    • TITLE!
« Reply #293 on: January 02, 2010, 09:24:29 AM »
Yeah, you should watch Moon, but not because it's meant to be good.  It's probably really awful, I can't really say until you've watched it.  And even then, I'll probably not say how awful it it unless a few more people see it.

I watched it in the cinema twice.  The second time I saw it was in Prince Charles Cinema (just off Leicester Square in London).  From the e-mails I've received, it looks like they've had Zowie coming in every other week for Q and A sessions.

I didn't like it there, too many people make too much noise.

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #294 on: January 02, 2010, 10:28:56 AM »
As mentioned, to each his own, different people can see different things in film and literature. Where you were disapointed, I on the other hand was not. I was pleasantly surprised.

Great when two different opinions can appear on the same thread without trying to intentionally overshadow one another isnt it?

This has nothing to do with you or I and is purely my take on Spike Jonze attempt to reflect his own vision of a neurotic world we live in.  Whilst the film may do this and even do it well, though in the process he confused just about everyone with it from the film producers downward - I dislike him using Maurice Sendak's book as a vessel to do it.  In my opinion great books that are made into films (no matter how short), should attempt to do them justice.

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #295 on: January 02, 2010, 11:02:14 AM »
...In my opinion great books that are made into films (no matter how short), should attempt to do them justice.

That's one difficult task.

Anyway it's so much better if you can read the book first and then you watch the movie in question.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #296 on: January 02, 2010, 11:08:38 AM »
That's one difficult task.

Anyway it's so much better if you can read the book first and then you watch the movie in question.

"Where the wild things are" is less than 200 words I believe but it was full of excitment at even that.  I wish that Sendak had been part-director of this film rather than part-producer, as it may have been just as colourful as his book if he had.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #297 on: January 02, 2010, 11:48:57 AM »
This has nothing to do with you or I and is purely my take on Spike Jonze attempt to reflect his own vision of a neurotic world we live in.  Whilst the film may do this and even do it well,

Agreed. And that is why I liked it. I like "remakes" with a new twist. Whether its book ->film, film -> film, etc I like it when a creator makes it their own.

Just watched "Exract" with Justin Bateman, etc. It was eh......cute moments but wont see it again nor would I have paid to see it. But for a lazy day film it was ok. 5/10

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #298 on: January 02, 2010, 12:24:54 PM »
outlander - disapointed to be truthful.

^ that's also why I started a B-movie thread for movies that are sort of bad, but have something redeeming despite their badness.

I didn't think the newer Italian job was so bad. I thought it was watchable. I think Mark Wahlberg is a decent enough actor, so maybe that's why I thought it was passable. Oh, and Jason Statham was in it too... Cute guys, and cute cars ::)

I just watched The Castle. It was on IFC. I've seen parts of it before, but it's good enough I wanted to watch it start to finish.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #299 on: January 02, 2010, 01:10:00 PM »
I watched From Dusk Till Dawn again last night.
I like Robert Redrigeuz,,,,hes a good directer and has some really interesting ideas.
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.