Author Topic: Latest Movie You Watched  (Read 421479 times)

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
Re: Latest Movie You Watched
« Reply #300 on: January 02, 2010, 02:01:43 PM »
"Where the wild things are" is less than 200 words I believe but it was full of excitment at even that.  I wish that Sendak had been part-director of this film rather than part-producer, as it may have been just as colourful as his book if he had.

I know that book intimately (like most kids of my generation), having had it as a reading book at infant school, loving it so much I pestered my mother to buy it for me (which she did) and reading it (and copying drawings from it) so often it fell to pieces. I even replaced it as an adult (with a softcover version) - which I still have.

When I heard they were making a film, I couldn't see how such a short story could be made into a film and assumed it would literally be a completely new story based on the books characters (almost like Max's return visit to the wild things), so I've not bothered watching it because I think I'll be disappointed. If the kids ask to watch it, then I'll watch it with them, otherwise I'll probably give it a miss.

I'll be watching District 9 tonight.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #301 on: January 02, 2010, 02:17:21 PM »
I know that book intimately (like most kids of my generation), having had it as a reading book at infant school, loving it so much I pestered my mother to buy it for me (which she did) and reading it (and copying drawings from it) so often it fell to pieces. I even replaced it as an adult (with a softcover version) - which I still have.

When I heard they were making a film, I couldn't see how such a short story could be made into a film and assumed it would literally be a completely new story based on the books characters (almost like Max's return visit to the wild things), so I've not bothered watching it because I think I'll be disappointed. If the kids ask to watch it, then I'll watch it with them, otherwise I'll probably give it a miss.

I have 2 copies of the book within reach at this moment.

If you forget the book for a moment you may well enjoy the film. 

There is none of the gleeful "rumpus" and frivolities like the uncommented, illustrated part of the book (which in my view is where they missed a trick as that part was begging for some creative licence), but the quite serious and depressed tone of the film that replaced it did make it strangely endearing to a degree.

The Hensonesc costumes are near perfect but you will notice that their expressions are that of the troubled adults that feature in the film - which I believe was Jonze's aim.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #302 on: January 02, 2010, 02:40:27 PM »
The Hensonesc costumes

Funny you should say that, when I first saw a trailer for this film and was trying to describe what the creatures looked and moved like to a friend, I said, "just think of Sweetums".

Another book I loved when I was little was The Very Hungry Caterpillar, I'm half expecting to hear that's going to be made into a flick.  :D

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #303 on: January 02, 2010, 06:50:40 PM »
I saw District 9 and thought it was pretty good. Was it a good social commentary on immigration or multiculturalism? Not sure. I just loved the way people exploded when they were shot with the alien guns. Good acting, pretty good story, good effects and the look of it seemed authentic - you could believe District 9 had been lived in for 20 years by insectoid aliens.
The only down points were a bit too much sappiness crept in, some of the plot was a bit predictable and the kid alien's face kept reminding me of WALL?E.

Overall...

District 9 = 7/10

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #304 on: January 02, 2010, 07:03:25 PM »
WHIP IT !
its nice fun movie to watch

Offline yolanda71

• Neandertal
« Reply #305 on: January 03, 2010, 03:00:23 AM »
I watched The Assassination of Richard Nixon last night. It's a sad movie and Sean Penn does an excellent job of playing a man you despise and feel sorry for at the same time. I think that is a tricky balance but he pulls it off.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #306 on: January 03, 2010, 05:52:31 AM »
I saw District 9 and thought it was pretty good. Was it a good social commentary on immigration or multiculturalism?

I was a little uneasy to begin with as setting it in S.A and then almost quoting the rhetoric of certainly the Boer-Afrikaners, if not the majority of whites during apartheid, but when I accepted that as a catalyst for smashing reality and fantasy together, I rather enjoyed the film especially the CGI. 

I did find Wikus van de Merwe a little "Arthur Dent" like in as much as he was completely ill equipped for such an adventure, but it did help to make the film less testosterone driven as it would have been if a muscle man had been in the starring role.

I go along with 7/10.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #307 on: January 03, 2010, 09:36:24 AM »
I have 2 copies of the book within reach at this moment.

If you forget the book for a moment you may well enjoy the film. 

There is none of the gleeful "rumpus" and frivolities like the uncommented, illustrated part of the book (which in my view is where they missed a trick as that part was begging for some creative licence), but the quite serious and depressed tone of the film that replaced it did make it strangely endearing to a degree.

The Hensonesc costumes are near perfect but you will notice that their expressions are that of the troubled adults that feature in the film - which I believe was Jonze's aim.

^ that's how I feel about it, and I haven't seen it yet. I drug my feet almost deciding not to see it at all.. but, eventually I'll see it.

I watched Collapse, and Sunshine.

Offline CMF

• Homo Superior
  • Intelligence is relative.
« Reply #308 on: January 03, 2010, 10:27:55 AM »
I just saw Ira & Abby on the Super Channel.
It's a pretty sweet movie. It reminds me of Dharma & Greg, though it's not the same, especially the second half of the movie.
Also, Jason Alexander is too funny in it.  :D

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #309 on: January 03, 2010, 12:21:22 PM »
I watched The Devils Tomb last night when I got in.
I lik alot of Cuba Googing Jr.'s work. Men Of Honor was amazing ( but it had Dinero,, so im biased abo9ut that).
The Devils Tomb was a good aidea,, Cuba's work was pretty good,, but over all it wasnt anything to write home about.
Ron Pearlman was in it,, but since he did that movie and The Mutant Chronicles with Thomas Jane ( Punisher, The Mist) his carreer hit a landslide.
I think the last movie he was in that I liked was Alien Resurection which fit his personality much better.
 I think his carreer ended pretty much after Beuty and the Beast went off the air back in 1990 ( If I remember the year right).
 Now,, I love the off the beaten trail type of movies and indie films,, but this one Ill have to give a 4/10.
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline Geemonster

• Banned for all eternity
  • Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #310 on: January 03, 2010, 12:26:27 PM »

I remember discussing this indetail after the film swept at the Academy Awards. I still dont get it. But i am the minority here, mos people really liked it. 5/10

The Coen brothers can make what i suppose you'd call a modern day Western,and i think they pull it off well with films like Blood Simple,Fargo.
  No Country For Old Men was such that even being just over 2 hours,i wasn't bored once.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #311 on: January 03, 2010, 12:28:21 PM »
I think it was based on actualy events.
 It was a good movie,, i liked it. I wish they would have ended it different though.
I keep my standards low.

Offline Geemonster

• Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #312 on: January 03, 2010, 12:32:01 PM »
I don't know about that,but yeah,i was hooked pretty much straight away.
  I'll watch anything that they make,i can't think of a film they've made that i don't like.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #313 on: January 03, 2010, 12:55:06 PM »
Me too man,, very true.
They tend to be a little offbeat at time though,, I think thats why i like them so much.
I keep my standards low.

Offline Geemonster

• Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #314 on: January 03, 2010, 12:57:24 PM »
Yeah!  I think that at the moment it's Quentin Tarantino,Robert Rodriguez and the Coen bros that make the best movies.