Author Topic: Latest Movie You Watched  (Read 420639 times)

Offline feelingindifferent

• Cro-Magnon
Re: Latest Movie You Watched
« Reply #405 on: January 11, 2010, 07:07:25 AM »
In the Loop
Really really funny, but I don't think the majority of people have even heard of it, a shame. It's like the In Bruges of 2009, very foul-mouthed yet totally witty at the same time. The deleted scenes are hilarious as well, some of then shouldn't have been cut.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
  • I've seen the future. I can't afford it.
« Reply #406 on: January 11, 2010, 11:51:55 AM »
The Echo (2008) 6/10

This remake of a Philopino horror film was a better-than-average thriller flick about a ex-con, Walter (played by Kevin Durand) who moves into his mother's old apartment building after parole (she's dead and no longer resides there, incidentally).

Once he moves in, he begins to hear loud noises through the walls from his next door neighbor. The noises are very violent and it sounds as if a woman is being beaten. He listens through the walls to try and make out what's happening, but to no avail.

The woman from the apartment occasionally knocks on his door, crying, but when he answers it she's gone back to her own apartment. He knocks on the door and receives no answer. Eventually he gets a knock and when he opens it, it's a police officer who angrily tells him to mind his own business before disappearing into the next-door apartment.

People in the building also come to Walter's door accusing him of being the noisemaker. Strange things begin to happen to both Walter and the rest of the tenants. The biggest of which is a sharp, ringing headache which ends with blood coming from the ear of the afflicted.

After one particularly loud occurrence Walter decides to actually check the apartment. After pounding on the door with no answer, he bursts his way in to fins the apartment empty. The landlord gives him some half-ass story about the family that lived there and that there was murder involved.

The upshot is that Walter (and by extension the rest of the tenants) is experiencing a haunting that emanates from the apartment next door. So far, a pretty standard horror-thriller. That is until Walter catches through his peep-hole the ghosts re-enacting the brutality that caused the haunting in the first place.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel (2009) 8/10

This was a pretty clever little flick that I really enjoyed. I need to watch it again to make sure that the time travel stuff is solid, but most of it's pretty cool.

It has been dubbed "Doctor Who meets Shaun of the Dead" and that isn't entirely inaccurate. Although they forgot to mention Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure which this flick has a resonance to (but isn't anything like it).

Ray (played by Chris O'Dowd) is a bit of a freak about science-fiction in general and time travel specifically. His two friends Pete (played by Dean Lennox Kelly) and Toby (played by Marc Wootton) even have a bet going on how little time it'll take for Ray to starting talking about time travel.

On the night Ray gets fired from his job, the three are in the pub and Ray nips over to another part of the bar where the queue isn't as busy. While there he meets a girl named Cassie (played by Anna Faris) who eventually gets to talking to Ray about time travel. She claims to be from the future and is there to repair a 'time leak' - in addition to meeting Ray who she claims is famous in the future.

Ray is completely incredulous, thinking that she must've been put up to talking with him by Pete and Toby. He ends his talk with her and then goes back to relay the story to Pete and Toby, who claim to know nothing of her, while mocking him for what appears to be a tall tale.

Pete gets up to use the restroom and when he emerges, he finds that the bar has been destroyed and everyone is dead - he even finds his own corpse among the bodies. Pete freaks out and runs back into the restroom to hide for a bit. When he re-emerges the bar is back to normal. He explains to Ray and Toby what has just happened, and when they don't beleive him, Pete suggests they try to make it happen again.

They go into the head and follow what Pete had done exactly (this is actually a pretty funny bit, too) to try and make the time shift happen again. When they emerge, the bar is intact and busy - everyone is alive. Slightly disappointed, they start back over to their booth when they realize they can hear their own voices from a conversation they'd had earlier.

Sure enough, they are all sitting at the table as they had been about a half-hour before. The 'time leak' Cassie had been searching for is apparently in the gents'...

The rest is a series of comic-tinged capers with the three guys trying to get back to their original time without meeting themselves and ceasing to exist.

And it's only a measly 79-minutes long, check this one out...

S.Darko: A Donnie Darko Tale (2009) 2/10

This is the sequel to 2001's excellent Donnie Darko which frankly is a waste of everyone's time.

It's only redeeming quality is that they got Daveigh Chase to play Samantha Darko again after 8 years. Other than that, the flick is more or less a remake of Donnie Darko, but without all the heavy undertones of having the main character perish.

Samantha and her bitchy friend are on their way to California to be dancers when their car breaks down in Conejo Springs, Utah. They get stuck their waiting for the car to be repaired and a series of Donnie Darko-esque things start happening to her.

This is the point at which the filmmakers show that they had no idea what was going on in the first movie. What follows is a mess of cryptic dialogue, questionable time-travel and irritatingly 2-dimensional characters.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Had this not been free, I wouldn't have watched it all the way through...

Up in the Air (2009) 6/10

An okay flick about Ryan Bingham (played by George Clooney) whose job is to fly around the country and fire employees for companies that are too spineless to do it themselves.

He enjoys his life on the road and has it threatened when a young upstart shows up with her new-fangled way of firing people over the Internet. If this is implemented, he would then be permanently grounded, something he dreads.

I'm not entirely certain why everyone's supposed to be going apeshit over this movie.

It's an okay flick with decent acting and such, but I didn't find it to be anything super special.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 09:00:52 AM by JackFrost »

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #407 on: January 11, 2010, 12:11:10 PM »
I've just gone and seen the trailer of The Echo and it looks fantastic.

Offline Nobby

• Q
« Reply #408 on: January 11, 2010, 12:19:37 PM »
Checking Out :
Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel

Never heard of it --- Sounds Cool  ;D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #409 on: January 11, 2010, 12:25:45 PM »
wolverine
transformers rise of the fallen
Alien
a sunday fest of movies thrown together with becks beer

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #410 on: January 11, 2010, 01:40:29 PM »
The Echo (2008) 6/10
On the dl currently. Sounds awesome
Know nothing but will watch
Tried several times to get throught the first 20 minutes and couldnt so....agree on rating
Clooney's hot but no interest.

Thanks for the reviews Jack. As you can see Im still loving Moon so that was a huge thumbs up for me. As I repeatedly say, "Different Strokes..."

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #411 on: January 11, 2010, 01:47:49 PM »
I've just gone and seen the trailer of The Echo and it looks fantastic.

Like I said, it was better than expected - I really liked how it ended...

Checking Out :
Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel

Never heard of it --- Sounds Cool  ;D

Really?

I thought for sure you'd have seen this. I hadn't heard of it until I looked up other things Anna Faris had been in besides :) and ended up finding that title. After reading the description I was totally intrigued as well...

I'm glad it was a fun movie...

The Echo (2008) 6/10
On the dl currently. Sounds awesome

I remember you liked A Haunting in Connecticut on my recommendation, so you might like this one, too.

Know nothing but will watch

It gets horrible reviews from actual critics, but fans tend to rave about it, so it's a cult hit at best.

But I still thought it was fun...

Tried several times to get throught the first 20 minutes and couldnt so....agree on rating

I forced myself to finish it. I wish I hadn't...  :-\

Clooney's hot but no interest.

It's kind of a forgettable flick, really...  :-\

Thanks for the reviews Jack. As you can see Im still loving Moon so that was a huge thumbs up for me. As I repeatedly say, "Different Strokes..."

I wasn't sure you'd like Moon at all, glad it really affected you...  :)

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #412 on: January 11, 2010, 07:45:29 PM »
I got to check out Frequnetly Asked Questions About Time Travel.
Might be on of the ones thats up my ally.

Trailer Park Of Terror,,,,,
Ok,, this is a movie made from a commic book ( which I usualy like since i used to be a comic nerd to begin with).
Unfortunately,, its not a good movie.
This thing was made on a shoe string budget, and it shows.

Imagine the trailer park dame deciding to get even on the trailer park for a few of its residents accidentaly killing her "city slicker" boyfreind.
THEN,,,she makes a deal with the devil,, kills everyone, and they come back as zombies.
Dont bother,, its not even likeable by me.

I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline Geemonster

• Banned for all eternity
  • Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #413 on: January 12, 2010, 04:36:51 AM »
Star Trek (2009) 8/10
  A good Sci Fi movie but not quintessential Trek.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #414 on: January 12, 2010, 11:22:18 AM »
Sherlock Holmes (2009) 6/10

A decent flick with a few spotty parts.

Most of them centering around Rachel McAdams who was really awful, I thought. There was decent chemistry between Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law, however.

I'm told the film is also much better if you only have passing familiarity with the characters in the Sherlock Holmes novels.

And the fight at the end on the scaffolding of London Bridge had really bad greenscreen effects in it. Let's just say it gives the Nazi blimp battle in Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade a run for it's money on having shitty special effects.

I saw this in the theatre and probably should've waited for DVD.  :-\

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #415 on: January 12, 2010, 01:27:53 PM »
Star Trek (2009) 8/10
  A good Sci Fi movie but not quintessential Trek.

Thats what I liked about it.lol
 Trekies scare me.. Im a Star Wars geek myself.
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline Geemonster

• Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #416 on: January 12, 2010, 04:43:20 PM »
Apocalypse Now (1979) 10/10

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #417 on: January 12, 2010, 05:17:37 PM »
Apocalypse Now (1979) 10/10

Did you watch the Redux version, or just the theatrical cut?

Offline Geemonster

• Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #418 on: January 12, 2010, 05:20:26 PM »
golly the redux dude!
  Original's where it's at.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior