Author Topic: Latest Movie You Watched  (Read 416618 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: Latest Movie You Watched
« Reply #2820 on: October 09, 2019, 10:36:52 AM »
I pretty much agree.  And want to say that the odd turn in Dany's character is what pissed me off, and one of the only ways I could explain it was a generic institutional misogyny among the writers. 

Had she just been a richard and behaved in a consistent way, I'd have had zero issue with that.  But she starts out as a young, naive manipulated child and grows into an idealistic, effective leader.  Then, for no apparent reason, she turns into Hitler.  Go figure.  You explain it in some way that doesn't make the writers look like a bunch of women hating boneheads who couldn't come up with a better ending than to have the one autonomous female leader go mad with power and then get offed by her nephew/lover.  Maybe if it were in the books, it would have made more sense, but it really made the writers look like hacks who just wanted to get the series over with and on to their next paychecks.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 12:15:42 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2821 on: October 10, 2019, 01:31:21 AM »
It's good to have differences of opinion, especially with people you're friendly with, it makes you actually consider your own positions on issues. I'll actually regret the self destruct on that one, it was a thought provoker.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2822 on: October 10, 2019, 11:43:24 PM »
Oops - sorry - accidentally let the monster out from under the blanket. Apologies.

Monster?  Power corrupts.  We all get that.  I guess my issue was the ham handed way the writers effectuated that transformation.  And it was a drag to have a character who seemed extraordinarily good get dashed as just another psycho dictator.  At least there's Anya.  I agree with 8ully, she was the best, most interesting.

I haven't seen any movies lately as I've been studying the tax code.  The fun never stops.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2823 on: October 11, 2019, 12:54:49 AM »
Anya was from Buffy. I didn't like how everyone always treated her like poo, but she did torture people for 1000 years.

That's also a valid reason not to marry someone. (Them having tortured people for 1000 years).

Not really a movie thing though, more of a TV thing. Be interesting if we had a thread for that... hint.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2824 on: October 11, 2019, 01:51:04 AM »
I meant Arya.  I had 2 hours of sleep, prepping for an exam, so my pop culture knowledge isn't what it might be otherwise.  I never saw the Buffy tv series, but the Pee Wee Herman death scene in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the film, was one for the ages.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2825 on: October 11, 2019, 04:03:32 AM »
The TV show exists because Joss Whedon was so angry at how they handled the film. Buffy began life as "Rhonda, the immortal waitress".

I don't have the discs for BTVS, apparently the entire show is up on facebook watch, but you have to use a specific browser, and I don't remember. Maybe it was chrome?

The concept is pretty fantastic. All those movies where the pretty blond trips and game over. What if it was a ruse? What if she was hunting the monster?

I did not mean to insult your Pop-Fu, and apologize if it came off like that. I don't think I've thought about the Anya character since everyone had flip phones. UPN had some good episodes, but they kind of did the series dirty.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2826 on: October 12, 2019, 01:13:50 AM »
watched Lawless last night whilst drinking a couple of cans of dark ale

still cannot understand Hardy.  :-\

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2827 on: October 12, 2019, 01:42:35 AM »
I was surprised how much I liked that despite Shia.

The ending was bless'ed campy though. I get why they did it, period piece and all, but it reminded me of the film code, where the baddies weren't allowed to get away with their misdeeds.

That's why the Italian Job ends on a cliffhanger.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2828 on: October 12, 2019, 08:45:21 AM »
El Camino -

poo, I have no idea how to review this movie without spoilers. It's satisfying. Walter White comes off even worse. Honestly, that was the biggest point.

Like, BCS, everyone has been waiting for Mr. White to show up.

When he shows up here, it's VERY early BB days. The RV is shot up, but intact. They hit a Diner / Truck stop. The buffet makes me think Truck stop. Diners are less generous.

And he undersells Jesse. No big surprise, the entire series sold him as wasted potential. Walter White was both an inspiring teacher and the worst thing that ever happened to Jesse Pinkman.

I was shocked how much I missed it. There's no artifice here. The world is as much a poo show there as it is here. Skinny Pete and Badger are still playing Xbox 360. They've got the Enterprise in a bookcase. Like real, actual, human people.

Sadly, the trailer doesn't happen. Skinny Pete might have seen an interrogation, but it doesn't weigh heavy on the movie. And holy poo if this movie doesn't weigh heavy.

God I missed BB. And it's only an eternity from here. We got something very special, and now it's gone.

I'd certainly say watch the whole show before you hit the movie, or you'll be cheating yourself.

But holy golly if that wasn't a straight up, 100% pure experience. I'm glad I got to see it.

But it does leave you feeling empty. I don't mean it's a bad ending, but you want more, and there isn't more.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2829 on: October 12, 2019, 06:19:28 PM »
Did you ever see The Path?  Aaron Paul is a key figure in that series.  It's not bad at representing the inside of a cult.  The ending is not very satisfying, I sort of felt they pulled the plug and it kind of dwindled away.

We watched El Camino tonight.  It was really enjoyable and reminded us of how much we missed Breaking Bad.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 01:50:45 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2830 on: October 14, 2019, 07:31:07 AM »
Breaking Bad got two fantastic Finales, and GOT couldn't manage one.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2831 on: October 14, 2019, 09:33:48 AM »
Underworld 1 + 2  haven't aged that well

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2832 on: October 14, 2019, 09:38:37 AM »
Breaking Bad got two fantastic Finales, and GOT couldn't manage one.

Yeah.  Well they both beat the pants off Downton Abbey.  I somehow wanted to run the other way when exposed to all the hype from that movie.  Needless to say I didn't go see it. I think GoT -- the suits version-- is working on a spinoff of some kind.  That's too big a cash cow not to milk it some more.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2833 on: October 14, 2019, 09:43:42 AM »
hah, that was the first movie I watched on an HDTV, it looked janky. Yes that is a technical term.

I don't think that movie could have aged well.

Funny enough, Jason X, a film I do not recommend in the slightest, soundly skewers both the Underworld and Resident Evil series.

And the robot lady in Jason X doesn't have nipples!

I can't recommend that movie at all, but it's got some absolutely batshit scenes. Said nipple-less robot delivers the ass kicking I believe ALL of us horror movie viewers screamed for for decades.

It also features Jason on a holodeck, killing a promiscuous camp counselor in a sleeping bag, with another promiscuous camp counselor in a sleeping bag.

Both scenes are too good for the actual movie.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2834 on: October 14, 2019, 11:38:56 AM »
I am trying to remember, Jason is the guy in the hockey mask who kills teenagers?  So this is the 9th sequel to that?  And how do you know she has no nipples?  Is it because she's wearing a tight outfit (bustier is the correct term, I believe) or is this revealed via some kind of nude scene prior to this.  I think I'd probably want to bring a good book to this movie.