Author Topic: Latest Movie You Watched  (Read 192862 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
Re: Latest Movie You Watched
« Reply #2865 on: January 18, 2020, 01:19:22 PM »
I haven't been to Florence in a long time, but it's a lovely city.  I envy you the frequent visits.

I saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.  Pretty entertaining.  Satisfying ending.  I don't want to say much more except that it tended to encapsulate a period of time and represented the historical characters well.  Charlie Manson has always been bad news and it's nice that Tarantino gets that.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Human
« Reply #2866 on: January 18, 2020, 02:06:26 PM »
Have you heard about Bruce Lee's daughter and other stuff about the film?

I'm pissed because Tarantino now wants to do a TV series based off the in movie show. There were enough cop shows in the 70's.

He's dropped his Star Trek plans because of it.
just one little time change so a draft board in 1968 turns down the bribe to accept "bone spurs" and we are home-free.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
« Reply #2867 on: January 18, 2020, 02:32:50 PM »
You know, that was a miniscule part of it, but it did seem a little off to me.  Lee majored in drama at the University of Washington but apparently never graduated.  He struck me as a thoughtful man but also an effective action film star (I've seen Enter the Dragon a number of times).  It wasn't clear why Tarantino included that scene except maybe to show that the Pitt character had real problems with anger management and behaving in a professional way while on a set.  Lee's daughter's complaints don't seem unreasonable to me.  And the portrayal of Lee as an arrogant blowhard does not really ring true from anything else I've read.

There's artistic liberty and then there's sensationalism that screws up the movie by focusing unfairly and inaccurately on minor details just to make a point that is intended to drive the plot or to flesh out a character.  That scene could have been cut and nothing else would have suffered.

Has Tarantino ever produced a tv series?  He certainly seems well versed in the history of TV but as for producing a viable show?  Hard to say if that will work.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Human
« Reply #2868 on: January 18, 2020, 03:11:18 PM »
I just really wanted Tarantino Trek. It's all been so antiseptic, but I hate discovery, which introduced the F word to trek.

I hated that show so much, but I convinced myself to stop hatewatching it, since it brought me no joy and just made me want something else.

Like, I'd LOVE the Eugenics wars to be on the big screen. Or even streaming!

According to Trek, the world ended in 1996, in nuclear fire as opposing genetically engineered supermen clashed for control of the world.

That's why Khan was on a sleeper ship in "Space seed". In WWIII, everyone lost.  I feel like Tarantino could capture a 1996 that was a mix of 1960's/1970's looking forward, and actual 1996. You know, big cars, big hair, that sort of poo.

Kind of like how the Fallout series gives us a future imagined through the lens of the 1940's. No integrated circuits, floating service robots, the ever present fear of "The Bomb".

Like I'd imagine the first half of the season is clandestine Bourne identity esque shadow games being played by pawns. Then, middle of the season, the bombs drop.

Now these pawns have to survive an absolute hellscape for the back half.  All to a tarantino beat and soundtrack.

But apparently he wanted to go with a time travel thing like Yesterday's Enterprise. To be honest, Time Travel is kind of beat to poo at this point. I especially disliked the lecture in Avengers: Endgame that time travel doesn't work the way I think it does, but instead follows the multiverse theory. You make a change, you ride a different branch, and leave the original undisturbed.

That's fine, but the lecture felt like a richard move instead of exposition.

That take on time travel would also make the solution and sacrifice in Yesterday's Enterprise entirely pointless.
just one little time change so a draft board in 1968 turns down the bribe to accept "bone spurs" and we are home-free.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2869 on: January 19, 2020, 01:07:14 AM »
Terminator Dark Fate.   Another follow on with a suggested follow on. Entertaining as always
1917.  How he managed to shoot this as he did was amazing. Will watch again when out in BRay.
Baywatch.  Didn't realise how adult this was but passed a hour or so away whilst on a bottle of red.

Offline aelthric

• Homo Erectus
    • Technogrammaton
« Reply #2870 on: January 21, 2020, 06:42:55 PM »
Having begun rewatching "6 Underground" I do have to take issue with just one thing in the beginning of the movie, that the assumption that "The Mafia" are all over Italy, they aren't, they are very localised in Sicily and they are a by-product of Island Mentality where they trust the local criminals thugs and mobsters more than the Mainland authorities...

The nearest thing to "The Mafia" that exists on the Italian mainland are the "Camorra" in Naples (Napoli) and they are solely based in Naples (Napoli)...

That being said "6 Underground" is a really excellent and gripping movie well worth a watch...

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
« Reply #2871 on: January 21, 2020, 07:19:47 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation.  Frankly, those Baywatch bathing suits seem particularly ill suited for ocean swimming.  Rather ill fitting and impractical for saving lives.  I say this as someone who used to swim a mile each day for exercise.  I say, "go get yourself a decent speedo and save the bodacious displays for cocktail hour."

One question for Goldie. Does the Rock run around raising one eyebrow a lot in this film?  I'm just wondering how it compared with the David Hasselhoff tv show.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Human
« Reply #2872 on: January 21, 2020, 09:47:22 PM »
Die Hard 2

John McClane incurs a considerable amount of paperwork in this film, and the one person I wanted to die (The tow cop) does not die.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2873 on: January 23, 2020, 09:06:09 AM »

Doctor Sleep - Enjoyed this a lot

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2874 on: January 24, 2020, 11:05:00 AM »
the last full measure. A tremendous film and worth a watch.
Be aware tissues are needed

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2875 on: January 27, 2020, 12:55:34 AM »
Dark Waters, A decent film shocking as true well worth a watch  Big business sucks

Just Mercy,  Well acted, was ok nothing new in a film as have seen before ref miscarriage. Again a decent watch

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2876 on: February 04, 2020, 01:20:50 PM »

Last Christmas.  A tad late but a first attempt by E.Thompson who was surprised they agreed to film.
Lots of cameos, plenty of wham. A tv movie to be honest

Offline 8ullfrog

• Human
« Reply #2877 on: February 26, 2020, 12:24:33 AM »
I feel guilty, I finally watched one of the "Free ad-supported" movies on youtube, and it was only an hour into the film I realized my AdBlock was still up.

That's dangerous, I've heard of people losing their entire google account pulling such poo, but too late.

We watched Ronin. I liked it, but did not like that Diedre did not get any comeuppance.

It turned out, I was mistaken, the east german sniper is never identified, so maybe she didn't murder an ice skater in cold blood. Also, in the original ending, she DID get comeuppance, but test audiences boo-hooed it, and it was removed.

Also, Natasha McElhone is going to be playing Dr. Elizabeth damn' Halsey in a HALO series. HOLY poo. That's like, Deuteragonist!

First with Halsey, monsterous bless'ed actions in conscripting FIVE YEAR OLDS, and molding them into supersoldiers, but then she ALSO has to play Cortana. Cortana is a thief, and she keeps what she steals.

Offline aelthric

• Homo Erectus
    • Technogrammaton
« Reply #2878 on: March 25, 2020, 01:26:59 AM »
Bloodshot : Complete crapola.

You know that a film has been targetted towards those who would have trouble out-thinking a glass of water when they insist on identifying major world capital cities along with the nation they are capital of, as if some dumb f**k could ever confuse Paris with any of the shitholes named after it and so it is the case with this garbage, they have to tell their targetted audience that London is in England, and that is just where this crapola really begins to annoy.

So we are told that they are in London and yet clearly they haven't bothered doing any damned research because the chase scene clearly takes place in South Africa, yes I kid you not they actually filmed the London chase scenes in South Africa, hell when they filmed the London chase scenes for Hobbs and Shaw they filmed in Glasgow so at least the architecture and the vehicles would fit in with London Architecture and British vehicles and the weather was fairly similar but South Africa? Seriously?

They also filmed part in what looks like a street somewhere in California (I am guessing somewhere in San Francisco but I am not sure maybe someone can tell from the screengrab?) but it is clearly NOT London...

To enjoy movies you have to suspend your disbelief, when they target for an idiot audience and then make idiot mistakes like these it becomes impossible to suspend disbelief and you cannot just ignore them.

Some Screengrabs clearly not London!!!

And the Offending London, England

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
« Reply #2879 on: March 25, 2020, 01:39:17 AM »
I doubt that's California.  More likely Canada.  California license plates look nothing like what's on the back of that vehicle.

Thanks for saving me the trouble.  I'd never heard of that movie, and now I don't have to even waste a few brain cells considering it.