Author Topic: What are you doing right now?  (Read 517226 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: What are you doing right now?
« Reply #2985 on: April 23, 2017, 10:13:34 AM »
I'm an applehead and think the company lost its way about a decade back, which saddens and annoys me because I'm essentially lazy when it comes to finding new tech products, and it takes time to check out various versions of similar items from different companies, checking specs, trying out the products, etc.

I have a first generation Powerbook that is comfortable to use because there is a thin strip of plastic around the outer edge that makes resting my forearms on it easy.  It's still running, albeit on limited functionality as it can't run new Os, being stuck somewhere around SnowLeopard or thereabouts.

Then Jonny Ive got a wild hair to be "ecologically responsible" and came up with the aluminum unibody.  There are videos of him waxing poetic about this great innovation.  I seriously question just how ecological this is when you take into account the amount of energy it takes to convert Bauxite into aluminum, to produce the extruded aluminum blanks, then to tool each body individually, polish, check allowances and that sort of thing.  On the plus side, you can recycle aluminum, so that's a little less waste at the end of its life. 

Another failure is in the realm of "human factors" (ergonomics).  When I was interested in buying a new laptop, I declined, because the unibody has a harsh sharp edge where the upper and lower cases meet.  When it's open, they chafe my skin as I rest my arms on the body to type.  It was a deal breaker.  I opted for an iMac instead.  If I get a new laptop, it's unlikely to be a Mac.

My iPhone 6 rarely recognizes my finger print.  I routinely have to type in a number code to gain access, which is annoying and inconvenient.  It demands that I upgrade to iOs X even though I would prefer not to.  It won't leave me alone and there's no way to turn off these insistent and disruptive reminders in the Settings.  Still, it takes good photos and I like many of the features.  It's a little large for my hand, but I can understand the tradeoff between screen size, visibility and making it physically comfortable to hold or to slip into one's pocket. 

I also am not so keen on the lack of support for older devices.  Got an original iPad?  Well we can't be bothered to issue upgrades to iOs for you, so deal with it.  That's the general attitude they have, and I can't help but think that it's elitist and privileges people with money.  "Can't afford to buy our latest product?  Well too bad."  We're a business, first and foremost, despite all our warm and fuzzy advertising.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:17:24 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2986 on: April 24, 2017, 12:21:26 AM »
thinking its my first day back at work  ???
roll on 4 weeks till off to Wales again

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #2987 on: April 24, 2017, 04:37:25 PM »
I have been editing the code of a "support ticket" software installation to make it an online facility to ask for work to be done. It looks and works pretty well and now I can answer clients instantly from my phone with worrying about emails.

Happy days!!
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #2988 on: April 24, 2017, 06:20:41 PM »
That's just basic "upgrade mentality", always wanting/needing the latest and greatest, not really an Apple-specific characteristic. 

True, think GeForce GTX 1080 Ti  ;D.....never ends, at least until you don't have the $1000 for the next release. 

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #2989 on: April 25, 2017, 03:09:43 PM »
True, think GeForce GTX 1080 Ti  ;D.....never ends, at least until you don't have the $1000 for the next release.

I know, my 980 Ti is so outdated.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #2990 on: April 25, 2017, 03:28:51 PM »

That is a shitload of spondulix to be spending on just the graph card. How much is the rest of the kit worth?

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #2991 on: April 26, 2017, 08:15:31 AM »
I know, my 980 Ti is so outdated.
That card will work well for a long time still, no more fighting with the missus  ;D

That is a shitload of spondulix to be spending on just the graph card. How much is the rest of the kit worth?
That card is the current epitome of graphics cards, these guys are serious hard core gamers and custom PC enthusiasts, many of them will buy two of those cards and custom liquid cooling loops are the norm. Things have changed substantially over the past few years for the custom PC guys.
Anyhow, I estimate roughly, another $1000 USD minimum in components so as not to underpower or create performance bottlenecks. But if one wanted to max out frequencies and voltages, then another $1000 USD could be spent on case and liquid cooling components.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 08:38:29 AM by Alfonz »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #2992 on: April 26, 2017, 04:27:43 PM »

That card is the current epitome of graphics cards, these guys are serious hard core gamers and custom PC enthusiasts, many of them will buy two of those cards and custom liquid cooling loops are the norm. Things have changed substantially over the past few years for the custom PC guys.
Anyhow, I estimate roughly, another $1000 USD minimum in components so as not to underpower or create performance bottlenecks. But if one wanted to max out frequencies and voltages, then another $1000 USD could be spent on case and liquid cooling components.

I was recently building a new comp up from a barebones system with the online company I use, just to see what it would cost and how much of an upgrade it would be from my current machine.  When I got to the graph cards the first one offered was a PNY Tesla P40 Module 24GB GDDR5.

When I saw the price I nearly shat myself...

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #2993 on: April 26, 2017, 05:14:23 PM »
I was recently building a new comp up from a barebones system with the online company I use, just to see what it would cost and how much of an upgrade it would be from my current machine.  When I got to the graph cards the first one offered was a PNY Tesla P40 Module 24GB GDDR5.

When I saw the price I nearly shat myself...

That's a workstation or server accelerator card, (I did have to look it up), £7,920.49  :o

Pretty pricey considering it has no video output.  ;D

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #2994 on: April 26, 2017, 07:26:54 PM »
Yeah, those are made for number crunching (think super computer).  Several years back, a group where I work built a super computer using nVidia cards for gpu acceleration.  It's pretty spiffy but ancient by today's standards.

https://secure.hosting.vt.edu/www.arc.vt.edu/hokiespeed-cpugpu/

--dweez

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2995 on: April 27, 2017, 01:11:19 AM »
I am at the moment falling to bits :'( :'(
As Bette Davis stated
“Old age ain't no place for sissies.”
doesn't help local doctors are a nightmare to get in to see

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2996 on: April 27, 2017, 01:50:29 AM »
Replying far too late to bea, but the thr8nes thread can only move forward if someone bumps it, and holy poo did a lot happen in s4. I want to say poor shae, but she moved right on to tywin. Yuck.

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #2997 on: April 27, 2017, 05:40:04 AM »
Yeah, those are made for number crunching (think super computer).  Several years back, a group where I work built a super computer using nVidia cards for gpu acceleration.  It's pretty spiffy but ancient by today's standards.

https://secure.hosting.vt.edu/www.arc.vt.edu/hokiespeed-cpugpu/

Incredible! And to think that machine ranked 221. What happens to these machines when they become obsolete? Are they able to re-use or donate the parts?

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #2998 on: April 27, 2017, 07:31:05 AM »
I only overclocked my Intel Core i7 4790K to 4.5 GHz. so I didn't go the closed loop water cooling route. Instead I went for the Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler. Cheaper (spend the money on the video card) and easier. Gaming on Ultra settings the CPU stays 50~55 °C. Think I could bump it up to ~5 GHz. and it would run fairly cool but I haven't found a need to.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 09:05:50 AM by brickbatz »

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #2999 on: April 27, 2017, 08:42:30 AM »
Incredible! And to think that machine ranked 221. What happens to these machines when they become obsolete? Are they able to re-use or donate the parts?

I'm not sure what generally happens to the old equipment.  I know with the "Big Mac" supercomputer we made as a "Proof of Concept" to prove it could be done, the 2200 (quantity) G5 iMac towers were given back to Apple and they sold them at a premium.
--dweez