Author Topic: What are you doing right now?  (Read 506714 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: What are you doing right now?
« Reply #3675 on: April 09, 2022, 08:02:15 AM »
Thanks mate.

I feel so much better today with a good night's sleep and my brain on wind-down.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #3676 on: April 09, 2022, 09:58:59 AM »
Congrats man!
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #3677 on: April 10, 2022, 03:06:36 PM »
Thanks dweez.

I still have to get my G3 (unvented cylinders) qualification on Wednesday and an Energy Efficiency one on Thursday so I'm still with my nose in the books.

Oddly, I'm kinda glad of that.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3678 on: April 10, 2022, 10:09:56 PM »
Ding dong Monday AM already. Off to work I go

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3679 on: April 11, 2022, 08:34:12 AM »
Having a cup of tea after a rather nice long sleep.  That's becoming rare, sadly.

"Unvented cylinders" wow.  I had to look that up.  Are they related to hot water heaters?  I found this:  https://www.easyflow.co.uk/articles/how-does-an-unvented-cylinder-work#:~:text=An%20unvented%20cylinder%20is%20connected%20directly%20to%20the,to%20expand%2C%20which%20creates%20pressure%20within%20the%20cylinder.
How many more of these exams/tests do you still have to finish?

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #3680 on: April 11, 2022, 03:53:29 PM »
"Unvented cylinders" wow.  I had to look that up.  Are they related to hot water heaters?  I found this:  https://www.easyflow.co.uk/articles/how-does-an-unvented-cylinder-work#:~:text=An%20unvented%20cylinder%20is%20connected%20directly%20to%20the,to%20expand%2C%20which%20creates%20pressure%20within%20the%20cylinder.
How many more of these exams/tests do you still have to finish?

Unvented cylinders are the most convenient way of heating your water if you have a boiler type central heating system. This is because they are essentially just another radiator and are powered by your mains water so you have good pressure at all outlets. Historically (here in the UK), we have had gravity fed systems that need pumps and other whatnots to be able to have a good shower.

I have 2 more exams this week then, in a minimum of 10 weeks (to build a portfolio), I have 9 exams over 3 days to obtain what's called a CCN1 qualification. It's a tough set of tests and you have to achieve a 100% pass mark.

Scary stuff ...

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #3681 on: April 11, 2022, 04:04:42 PM »
I have 2 more exams this week then, in a minimum of 10 weeks (to build a portfolio), I have 9 exams over 3 days to obtain what's called a CCN1 qualification. It's a tough set of tests and you have to achieve a 100% pass mark.

Scary stuff ...

Gah, I'll pray for your soul
--dweez

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3682 on: April 11, 2022, 11:33:49 PM »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3683 on: April 12, 2022, 12:02:39 PM »
smokes, we're pulling for you.  Sounds like a grueling series of tests.

8ully, that looks like a tutorial for cops re:  How not to behave with a mentally ill person.  I wonder how many other examples they had to look through before they settled on this one.  At least the pantless woman seemed to have a logical set of goals and a procedure that made a little sense.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #3684 on: April 12, 2022, 02:54:26 PM »
Thanks six.

That cylinder is well past its sell by date. I doubt it could ever be plumbed in again.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #3685 on: April 13, 2022, 11:45:39 AM »
So, I got it wrong (or they did). Today was my energy efficiency in domestic heating systems and tomorrow is my unvented etc. Wish I'd known as I was planing to cram for the efficiency test this evening. Thankfully, I passed anyhow.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3686 on: April 13, 2022, 08:55:57 PM »
I'm unfamiliar with the licensing for the building trades in the UK.  Are you studying for a general contractor's license? electrician?  It seems like you have such a large number of areas that require your competency with these exams.  It also sounds exhausting.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #3687 on: April 14, 2022, 04:20:25 PM »
I'm unfamiliar with the licensing for the building trades in the UK.  Are you studying for a general contractor's license? electrician?  It seems like you have such a large number of areas that require your competency with these exams.  It also sounds exhausting.

There are many trades all of which have their own regulatory bodies (various choices for each trade). For instance, if you are an electrician you have to subscribe to either NICEIC, Elecsa or Napit. By doing so they sort of underwrite you/your work and you can operate freely. If you are qualified but aren't a member of one of those, you have to notify Building Control who are part of each local authority and they will inspect your work and sign it off - for a fee.

For gas, there is only the Gas Safe register but other elements of this field of plumbing, that doesn't involve gas, has other options much like what I mentioned for electricians. At the moment (I passed today's exams btw which is what's called CENWAT1) I can either sign up to someone so I can install, commission or service cylinders, or wait until I finish the big one (the Gas Safe CCN1) and that will allow me to register my work on cylinders through Gas Safe.

Not all work within many trades is regulated or needs certification so in the main you can just crack on, but, with the ever broadening energy saving and field of 'renewables', you have to keep one eye on how regulation may have changed and may have sign up to a body to be able to continue.

I could end up paying many of thousands each year just in subscriptions.

This is a video that constantly does the rounds in the area I qualified for today:

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3688 on: April 16, 2022, 12:10:08 AM »
That's pretty interesting.  There are multiple professional organizations in the U.S. that require various kinds of education and licensing in order to practice, and some of these restrictions are done with a view to public safety and to insure that contractors adhere to building codes.

It sounds like things are slightly different in the U.K.  I imagine that you have housing stock there that ranges from ancient to recent construction with a variety of HVAC systems.  I hope all goes well with the rest of your certification exams.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #3689 on: July 23, 2022, 04:04:56 PM »
I'm making some little bets on Stateside racing. So far I've won about £40 and I've only bet on 3 races.

Should stop while I'm ahead, I suppose...