Author Topic: What are you doing right now?  (Read 507409 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: What are you doing right now?
« Reply #3690 on: August 12, 2022, 03:59:15 PM »
Wedding anniversary today so we went out for a some drinks and a Thai.

Considering my missus hardly drinks, it was a lot of fun. Bet she doesn't think so it the morning ...
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3691 on: August 12, 2022, 04:21:35 PM »
Happy anniversary!

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3692 on: August 12, 2022, 10:25:45 PM »
Wedding anniversary today so we went out for a some drinks and a Thai.

Considering my missus hardly drinks, it was a lot of fun. Bet she doesn't think so it the morning ...

Many congratulations to you both  :)

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #3693 on: August 13, 2022, 04:56:28 PM »
Congrats on another milestone, smokey!
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #3694 on: August 14, 2022, 04:13:15 PM »
Congrats.

Birthday and wedding anniversary  in the same month? Talk about a glutton for punishment.

Actually got married on what was my mother's birthday. This keeps the date as a reason to celebrate but with TNG's birthday this Friday, it does make it a very busy month.

Thanks all.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3695 on: August 15, 2022, 11:15:39 PM »
My kid brother married his first wife on his birthday, making it easy for me to remember when to send him an anniversary card.

His second wife gets grumpy about it for some reason.
  ;D ;D

AT im having a chip cob for my supper

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #3696 on: August 17, 2022, 04:22:01 PM »
My kid brother married his first wife on his birthday, making it easy for me to remember when to send him an anniversary card.

His second wife gets grumpy about it for some reason.

He should have married his second wife on his first wife's birthday. That would've put the cat among the pigeons.

I have been working like there's no tomorrow trying to catch up and get some cashflow, flowing. Now I have a few quid and a gazillion minor injuries.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3697 on: August 19, 2022, 05:06:52 PM »
Dollar store crafts.

I bought a bunch of crap to make my new table surface more useful, since the actual wood sucks up hand grease like a hungry vampire.
My first attempt was a map of the continental united states. It was the correct size, and I thought it might be a neat little departure from the usual boring surface.
 When I was a kid, we had dinner trays that were similar, so it was a bit nostalgic too.

My computer mouse freaked out pretty bad, so that's a dollar down. Might still hang the map on the wall.

Next up was a vinyl paper wrap. It's only 12 inches tall, but it's actually wide enough to hang over the edge.
The mouse works fine on it, and glides smooth. I think this is a winner.
Still not sure if I'll actually peel and apply it, but I can decide on that later.
I am glad I didn't have to go to my third option, one of those plastic tablecloths for parties.

I also found out you can use a box of movie theater candy as a book end, so long as it remains full.

I found a keycap puller at goodwill so I might clean the tray on my keyboard later, just have to look up which keys have the wire underneath, so I don't snap anything.

I consider this experiment to be a success, but the dollar tree has flipped over to self-checkout, and I am not a fan of that at all.
The clerk was rude. She did a manual review on my purchase, but not on any of the other customers. She was very snippy and didn't like that I used my debit card instead of feeding cash into the checkout kiosk.
She could have saved both of our time by manning an actual register.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3698 on: August 19, 2022, 07:24:37 PM »
Not sleeping  :-[

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3699 on: August 20, 2022, 02:53:55 PM »
Gawking, the roof of the dollar tree was on fire.

They're horrible neighbors, and the last time they replaced a squeaky roof unit, they only did so because the county forced them to.

Imagine this poo on loop all night:

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3700 on: August 20, 2022, 03:54:31 PM »
I'm not a big fan of the Dollar Tree.  Owned by some guys in VA, they exploit their workers and run a crappy store.  I stop in there about once every 6 months.  Often stuff they sell can be had for less at other stores.  The ones around here are vile and dirty.  I feel bad for the people who work there, who are often pretty nice, despite their surroundings and long hours standing ringing up sales.

I am sorry you live close enough to be bothered by this.  Too bad it didn't burn to the ground.
Here's the info from Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_Tree

I'm contemplating a knee replacement as I hobble around my place trying to make space for the delivery of a new refrigerator.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3701 on: August 21, 2022, 12:42:15 AM »
It's for the best, if they'd burned to the ground, they would have taken the goodwill with them. That's what lit a fire under the fire department's asses, it's a shared ceiling, and they thought they might have to fight a phantom fire.

Not shown is them cutting out the backside of that wall from the roof.

A while back someone hit some of that cladding and it fell off, revealing it to just be stupid flammable poo. Looks like the actual construction is cinderblock.

One of the local vagrants is being blamed, and while I STRONGLY disliked her, it isn't her. They finally got her into a mental health program. (She was the one who screamed at night and fought police)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3702 on: August 21, 2022, 08:21:06 AM »
So the fire was in the walls? I wonder if it was due to faulty wiring or something like that?  Or maybe the air conditioning system. 

At any rate, that's such a nice looking Goodwill.  That's another place I rarely shop, since much of the merchandise is more expensive than normal retail and most inventory consists of what people couldn't sell at yard sales.  Once in a while I pop in if I'm in the area to check out the kitchen stuff, but I don't go much any more.

Around here, there's a very active give away community:  BuyNothing on FB, Freecycle, and craigslist.  It helps avoid the whole experience of driving stuff to Goodwill.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #3703 on: August 21, 2022, 12:39:31 PM »
I'm studying as next week I finally sit the CCN1 exams which consist of some practical and 9 written. Not really sure how well I'll do as I have little time to study post finishing my portfolio - which was at least 6 weeks ago.

Feels like I'll have to wing it but I'm hoping I can summon up and regurgitate what I learned previously and through cramming.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3704 on: August 21, 2022, 04:51:49 PM »
I go in the goodwill when I get bored. I've been exceptionally lucky lately with the desk and the keycap puller.