Author Topic: Documentary Recommendations  (Read 32832 times)

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Re: Documentary Recommendations
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2013, 05:26:23 AM »
Estragon: I can't go on like this.
Vladimir: That's what you think.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2013, 08:48:28 AM »
Tarascon you watch deep meaningful programs

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2013, 03:14:38 AM »
The Mindscape of Alan Moore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mindscape_of_Alan_Moore

Watched this yesterday: What Happened to Kerouac?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090312/
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 06:24:01 AM by tarascon »
Estragon: I can't go on like this.
Vladimir: That's what you think.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2013, 02:52:23 PM »
I know that Americans recently had the publicly funded health care debate and some here were interested as to how it operated in countries where it already existed. The BBC is now running a show called "Keeping Britain Alive: The NHS in a day" which I am watching at the moment.

In truth it is equally about the individuals needing treatment as it is the system itself, but I am really enjoying it in a rather sad sort of way (seeing people in pain is never fun).

It is a good show in my opinion, but if you were also interested to see how a State run system works for the masses, then this may well be of interest to you.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2013, 07:17:36 PM »
documentary  called purity balls about daughters that pledge their virginity to their father. It was interesting and creepy. I may have talked about this here , I can't remember. Pardon me if I'm repeating myself.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2013, 09:06:10 AM »
on the bbc
great bear stakeout
the secret life of rock pools

Offline megamarkd

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2013, 06:01:26 AM »
Hi 6pairs, hope you have been well since we last spoke.

hmm, good doco's....I have a large collection but I can't think of the last one I watched that was that interesting.

As I mentioned in another thread, Dark Matters is quite a good television programme with a documentary-esque feel.

The Man Who Sold The World is a fantastic doco on Steve Rocco, founder of World Industries skateboard company and father of modern skateboard company's operating models.  Far better than the Bones Brigade Biography that came out end of last year.  But to anyone that grew-up in the 80's will at least enjoy the nostalgia of all, and get to find out how Tony Hawk managed to get the dubbed best skater in the world when he so obviously (to a skater of the time) was not.

I don't watch Dawkins doco's, they make me want to remove him from the gene pool.  He does more harm than good.  He should stick to gene research.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2013, 07:44:58 PM »
I thought this looked cool, so I searched up this thread.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
There was a series of documentaries on the making of classic rock albums:

Steely Dan:  Aja.
Pink Floyd:  Dark side of the moon.  There's a whole series of these.  I think they were produced for British television.  I've only seen two, I think, but they are very good.  Include interviews with the musicians and producers and discussions of the making of the albums, concepts behind them, music theory, etc.  Pretty interesting.

Offline megamarkd

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2013, 10:21:09 PM »
There was a series of documentaries on the making of classic rock albums:

Steely Dan:  Aja.
Pink Floyd:  Dark side of the moon.  There's a whole series of these.  I think they were produced for British television.  I've only seen two, I think, but they are very good.  Include interviews with the musicians and producers and discussions of the making of the albums, concepts behind them, music theory, etc.  Pretty interesting.

The series is called "Classic Albums" and it ran for quite a while on cable over here.

I've seen a few of them, and it really depends on the album (or should I say the musicians/band behind the album) on whether it is interesting. 

I watched Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life on the telly, and that was wonderful (excuse the pun), but I bought(!) the Frank Zappa - Apostrophe (')/Over-Nite Sensation and that was horrible, mainly because Frank is dead and it was a bunch of sycophants (how can that be when he is dead) blowing smoke up Frank's dead arse (why? he is dead, he can't hurt you any more, your income is not dependant on him tolerating you).  We got to hear some great performers talk, but not play.  We got to listen to Frank's kids talk as if they had some input into the albums (which they didn't).  Frank was the producer, not his son, but we got to hear Ahmet speak about the recordings as if he there in the control room moving the faders for him.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2013, 11:45:05 PM »
Thanks.  I checked tonight and found a long list of these albums, but many of them are of little interest to me.  I think it largely depends on your taste.  But it's helpful to know if there are some that aren't worth the bother.  I saw Zappa live three times and it was a real joy.  He always had the best sidemen playing with him and was a truly polished professional.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2013, 01:13:40 PM »
they did Pink Floyd on that series - great to watch

Offline megamarkd

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2013, 03:39:29 AM »
Thanks.  I checked tonight and found a long list of these albums, but many of them are of little interest to me.  I think it largely depends on your taste.  But it's helpful to know if there are some that aren't worth the bother.  I saw Zappa live three times and it was a real joy.  He always had the best sidemen playing with him and was a truly polished professional.

I would have loved to see Zappa live, but have to make do with live recordings instead....

Keeping with the music theme we are now on, BBC did a great doco on Blondie called One Way Or Another.  It goes through their early days at CBGB's to them pretending certain members never existed at their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2013, 03:52:27 AM »
The Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon doc was great.

I'll check out that Blondie doc, since I really enjoyed their music a long time ago.  I started watching a very good documentary about Art Nouveau from the BBC last night (3 parts about an hour each)  Sex and Sensibility:  the allure of Art Nouveau.  It surveys important artists in various media across Europe from the turn of the last century.  Talk about eye candy...  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01dprb6

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2013, 06:41:48 AM »
Sex and Sensibility:  the allure of Art Nouveau.

I'm bookmarking this for tonight!! Thanks 6p.

The Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon doc was great.

This I'm saving for Sunday.  :)