Author Topic: what surprised you today...  (Read 75102 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: what surprised you today...
« Reply #210 on: May 18, 2015, 09:46:06 AM »
Surprise of the day, tutor on my course was employed at the same establishment as myself and we know most of the same people.
small world indeed

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #211 on: May 18, 2015, 02:51:12 PM »
Have you read "Lamb" by Christopher Moore? Quite a lot of detail on the 33. (Loads more than in the stodgy biographies)

I bought it and have taken it on two holidays for something to read.

Unfortunately a rum bottle got in the way on both occasions.

This year for sure.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #212 on: May 20, 2015, 12:27:09 AM »
how tired you can feel even after a good nights sleep

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #213 on: August 08, 2015, 08:40:42 AM »
My daughter has passed the 4th stage in the Math Olimpiads. For what I hear only about 20 kids in the whole province have done it. If she passes the next stage she's going to the nationals. What surprises me is how difficult the problems are. :-[
I told her: Kiddo, you really have to practise now.
She answered me with the Spanish equivalent of: Keep dreaming, you crazy old lady!! 

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #214 on: August 08, 2015, 02:04:06 PM »
My daughter has passed the 4th stage in the Math Olimpiads. For what I hear only about 20 kids in the whole province have done it. If she passes the next stage she's going to the nationals. What surprises me is how difficult the problems are. :-[
I told her: Kiddo, you really have to practise now.
She answered me with the Spanish equivalent of: Keep dreaming, you crazy old lady!!

Well done her.

My son's SAT result for math was in the top 1% of the country. His school is now saying he can do GCSE in math 2 years early, possibly A-level math in year 11, and advance modules when he reaches 6th form.

When he's rich I'll visit you all!!

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #215 on: August 08, 2015, 08:39:32 PM »
Looks like your investment in your "retirement plan" is paying off. :D
--dweez

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #216 on: August 08, 2015, 10:26:33 PM »
My son's SAT result for math was in the top 1% of the country. His school is now saying he can do GCSE in math 2 years early, possibly A-level math in year 11, and advance modules when he reaches 6th form.

When he's rich I'll visit you all!!

WOW, smokester jr. !!

IDK about the UK but you don't get rich in my country for being good at math.  :(

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #217 on: August 16, 2015, 06:26:05 AM »
Looks like your investment in your "retirement plan" is paying off. :D

I keep saying I had him just to make me tea. 

He makes me tea = plan checks out.

WOW, smokester jr. !!

IDK about the UK but you don't get rich in my country for being good at math.  :(

It's all about "finance" here in the U.K. It truly is disgusting.

However, a friend has promised him an internship in that field so he has a chance of owning his own property sometime in the future. He could always be a philanthropic banker (that's surely an oxymoron).

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #218 on: October 04, 2015, 01:34:15 PM »

No wonder I couldn't find this post. I misspelled "Olympiads". 

My daughter passed the Regional stage and now she will go to the Nationals!!!! Only about 30 kids in her age level in the whole country. WOW. I'm so proud.
Let me rant about something related to that. I'll start telling the Nationals is a 3 days event in Mar del Plata in late October (spring here) so you understand.
When my kid competed in an earlier stage I spoke to the vice-director about registration and accomodation arrangements (that exam was held in another city). One day I knocked on their door and the vice-director wasn't in. When I tried to tell the director why I was there she stopped me (quite coldly, I must say, and she didn't even let me cross the door) and explained she didn't have anything to do with the Math Olympics or the organization or whatever. Pretty much "don't bother me and get the golly out". But I didn't think twice about that. Until the day the vice-director told me my daughter has passed the exam and "Carmen might want to go to Mar del Plata". OMG, I saw red. Of course she wants to go! She thinks she can have it both ways. I feel like flamethrow (is that a word?) that woman's bureaucratic ass. And do you know who prepared my daughter for her exams: A teacher paid by a non-profit organization and myself. Mostly myself. Un-bless'ed believable. If I find out she intends someone paying for her trip I'm going to go berserk.
Sorry for the rant. I feel a bit better now.  :D

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #219 on: October 04, 2015, 05:10:12 PM »
No wonder I couldn't find this post. I misspelled "Olympiads". 

My daughter passed the Regional stage and now she will go to the Nationals!!!! Only about 30 kids in her age level in the whole country. WOW. I'm so proud.
Let me rant about something related to that. I'll start telling the Nationals is a 3 days event in Mar del Plata in late October (spring here) so you understand.
When my kid competed in an earlier stage I spoke to the vice-director about registration and accomodation arrangements (that exam was held in another city). One day I knocked on their door and the vice-director wasn't in. When I tried to tell the director why I was there she stopped me (quite coldly, I must say, and she didn't even let me cross the door) and explained she didn't have anything to do with the Math Olympics or the organization or whatever. Pretty much "don't bother me and get the golly out". But I didn't think twice about that. Until the day the vice-director told me my daughter has passed the exam and "Carmen might want to go to Mar del Plata". OMG, I saw red. Of course she wants to go! She thinks she can have it both ways. I feel like flamethrow (is that a word?) that woman's bureaucratic ass. And do you know who prepared my daughter for her exams: A teacher paid by a non-profit organization and myself. Mostly myself. Un-bless'ed believable. If I find out she intends someone paying for her trip I'm going to go berserk.
Sorry for the rant. I feel a bit better now.  :D

The sentiment of your rant carried though very clearly even without the throwing of flames - and I sympathise entirely.

The bottom line is that your daughter has achieved an incredible standard which cannot be taken away from her by anyone. The fact that the VP has been pretty unsupportive until it suited her only exposes the measure of the woman.

You would have thought her position would be one that required some level respect that she evidently does not command, well, at least not by me.

That aside: congrats to your daughter and onwards and upwards!!!

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #220 on: October 04, 2015, 05:30:25 PM »
That aside: congrats to your daughter and onwards and upwards!!!

Thank you, smokester. I'm very proud indeed. As for my daughter, she went on with her life without further ado when I told her the news. Her school trip was way more interesting apparently.  :)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #221 on: October 06, 2015, 07:58:18 PM »
It's nice to see what loving parents can achieve in nurturing successful children.

Today one of the neighborhood cats decided to play while I was cutting the lavender.  She started striking at the plants with her paws.  I finally got a small branch from a bush I'd trimmed and snaked it along the ground.  She was jumping and pawing at it like cats do.  She's so funny.  Everyone in the neighborhood knows and loves her.  She wears a bell so you can hear her coming.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #222 on: October 07, 2015, 03:30:07 PM »
It's nice to see what loving parents can achieve in nurturing successful children.

Today one of the neighborhood cats decided to play while I was cutting the lavender.  She started striking at the plants with her paws.  I finally got a small branch from a bush I'd trimmed and snaked it along the ground.  She was jumping and pawing at it like cats do.  She's so funny.  Everyone in the neighborhood knows and loves her.  She wears a bell so you can hear her coming.

I met a cat today in the house I'm currently working in. She got a bit of a shock when I let myself in and entered the living room as I think she expected her owner. We had a cuddle anyhow.

A few hours later I went back in to get some tools and she did the whole snaking through the legs a meowing loudly thing. This was done inches away from her empty food and water bowl. I got the message and she's fatter now.

I think I got manipulated.

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #223 on: October 26, 2015, 06:54:19 AM »
My daughter passed the Regional stage and now she will go to the Nationals!!!!

She got a "Mention" at the Nationals. That means she must have scored in the top ten.  :o :o

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #224 on: October 26, 2015, 03:35:42 PM »
She got a "Mention" at the Nationals. That means she must have scored in the top ten.  :o :o

Contrary to this thread, I'm not surprised.