Author Topic: The Roommate Chronicles: Vol 13.  (Read 14249 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: The Roommate Chronicles: Vol 13.
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 10:12:16 PM »
Sounds like you should divvy up toiletries (soap, t.p. etc.) and each pay for his own in the bathroom.  Selfish prick.

Craigslist is always posting free microwaves up here.  I'd check for your area.  And for a better heater too.  Those oil filled radiators work pretty well.  We have one that we use when it gets especially cold out.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 11:36:32 PM »
I have a couple of the Honeywell self-contained oil heater/radiators.  They work great and with the proper setting, aren't bad on electricity.  My other option is the baseboard heating which is horrible in regards to the electric bill.
--dweez

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 05:58:29 PM »
Sublet under RANT thread. lol
An excellent place for me to vent my particular spleen.

I live in a house with two other people. Men, to be specific. Which in itself suggests domestic mayhem and gross mismanagement... One of these so-called "men" is my junior by about 3 years which puts him at about 54 years old. Emotionally he's about 19 (which makes him my senior in that regard). He looks very much like a gaunt version of Philip K. D-ick without the smarts. The other guy's a college student. Perhaps you'll hear more about him at some future date. Maybe not; he tires me.
  The PKD lookalike tends to be forgetful and may be suffering from incipient Alzheimer's. Who knows? He certainly doesn't. One of his peccadilloes is to put something on the stove like water or SpaghettiO's and retreat to his room where he promptly forgets about the kitchen foray until it either boils away entirely or becomes a caramelized mash. Abstractly speaking, this mash looks like it could be somewhat appealing for those with a sweet-tooth and a penchant for carbon but it's always on the liminal edge of being a fire hazard. Not a few times have I walked in the door and seen smoke issuing from the kitchen; once there was even a respectable little fire going. Now, I live in a room filled with books and my manuscript novel-- which I've been plugging away at for the better part of the last ten years--and the prospect of coming home from a day in the trees* and seeing my passions going up in a blaze of glory scares the bejesus outta me. I've cajoled, threatened, and wept before this PKD lookalike to try to remember the deadly combination of gas stove, rampant steam and/or flames, and isolation in one's bed chamber when he engages in culinary activities to no avail. I suggested Postit Notes on his goddamned computer to help his failing memory. So. The other day I come home and see this massive pot on the stove. It's still going through the last moments of a phase transition between extreme heat and room temperature. And what may this be?, I think to myself. I take a peek. It's a pot full of boiled eggs... blackened, cracked, carbonized eggs nestled in a begrimed pot. The inner edge of the pot looks like a post-attack trench on the Maginot Line. Some of the eggs seem to be hissing at me, like Dragon's eggs, and the others are all moribund and glazed like Easter eggs from Hell. I trot down the hall and say (through the door), [Insert PKD's real name here], have you been "cooking" again? Silence. I pause, draw breath and ask what the Dalai Lama would do in this situation. I opt to forgo the Enlightened Path and say in a quiet tone: One of these days you're going to put us on the street, you know, and I swear I'll crack your pate like one of those goddamned boiled eggs. He chuckles... Then I chuckle. We chuckle. I shake my head--shamed at the violence of my imagery--go to my room and log on my Burglar hobbit and kick the crap out of some orcs until I feel better.
  Bully, let's move in together somewhere. I'll stay in my room, you'll stay in your room and we can live happily ever after.

* Despite my being a lowly Australopithecus, I don't dwell in trees because of some archaic evolutionary proclivity--I inhabit trees simply due to the fact that I trim trees to pay my rent for the dump I actually dwell in.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 06:13:17 PM by tarascon »
Estragon: I can't go on like this.
Vladimir: That's what you think.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 07:40:08 PM »
My roommate does laundry after work every day, I think he has two shirts and one pair of pants for work.
His work offers free uniforms and laundry service but he's a man madam and thinks if he takes advantage of this privileged he will be fired and replaced by "A Mexican."

He has had to be told several times that one does not dry ones underpants on the central heater. Seriously, he's about 50. No one wants to see his tightie-whities.

Today when he got home I had the foreman grill on the washer because the counter was covered in salad makings. He looked like something died inside him just by seeing that.

(I was done in about 15 minutes, but it put off his regimented schedule.)

In your situation I'd probably pour the pot of eggs on the dudes bed. There are lines you don't cross. Sometimes my mom pulls that poo so I just turn her TV off and walk away with the remote. This subtly informs her to go check on the food she abandoned.

Stoves are no bless'ed joke, and I don't understand the mentality of walking away while cooking. It just ISN'T DONE.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 09:11:56 AM »
I'm speechless.  I'd get rid of that guy with the fire hazard problem.  It's just too dangerous.  But, of course, I don't know your living situation and how much wiggleroom you have regarding locating apartments and roommates.  You sound like mother teresa re your dealings with this guy.  I'd have either dumped the eggs in his bed or called the fire department so he could explain his behavior to them. 

Leaving your dirty clothes lying around is annoying and unhygienic, but not life threatening.  Burning down the house is another matter.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2013, 08:30:16 PM »
My mom was visiting a friend this weekend who thinks you can use a gas oven to heat the house instead of going out and buying a damn space heater.

Surprised mom didn't die. That's just bless'ed prime ignorance.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 12:17:50 AM »
Actually, I think this is a generational thing.  I just had our 1953 Wedgewood fixed.  It comes with 4 burners and a griddle on top, an oven, a broiler, and to the side, a heater to heat the house with.  The PG&E guy who came to give us an energy audit disabled the heater because he felt it was a fire hazard (that side of the stove stands directly next to a wall).

I've met elderly people in rural settings who used their stove to heat their house.  It's inefficient and expensive, but, if the stove is properly ventilated and no carbon monoxide is emitted, it's not dangerous.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 09:11:22 PM »
my family members have done that and they used boil large pots of water throughout the night. what is a energy audit ?

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 09:24:49 PM »
They send a guy out to see if you can adjust your appliances to save energy.  He was generally useless, but he did disable the heater on the stove which was potentially dangerous, so it wasn't a total loss.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 10:23:11 PM »
that  doesnt seem very useful. are you required to let them pe&g for audit or is it something you can refuse?

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2013, 11:32:06 PM »
It's entirely voluntary.  I called them, thinking it would help us save money on the gas and electric bill, but it was a waste of time, really.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 06:18:47 PM »
Roommate decided to eat when I was eating, his usual mayo and hot sauce sandwich (Yuck)
He's got his head in the fridge and he's bitching about where "His" taco bell sauce is. He didn't buy taco bell sauce, I did. He realizes this, stops bitching, and takes out his bottle of 99 cent store hot sauce that mysteriously replenishes itself.

Offline Autumn

• Account on hold
  • Cro-Magnon
  • No regrets
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 07:55:51 PM »
-_- where do you find these guys?!

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 09:56:30 PM »
Pretty much any roommate can end up like that, I've yet to find one who doesn't "borrow" food.

This one was kinda fucky though. I asked if I could have the living room from 8 to 8:30, he said cool. I set up the wii fit, he went in my room and turned the TV on.

Thank god I lock my computer.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 09:56:44 PM »
I'd love to have 8ully as a roommate, even with his surly attitude sometimes ;-).  Someone who understands the concept of respect and house hygiene?  So rare to find.
--dweez