Author Topic: Is the "xbox one" the new telescreen?  (Read 19627 times)

Offline Mauve

• Australopithecus
  • I was JohnisaFatman what's it to ya
Is the "xbox one" the new telescreen?
« on: May 26, 2013, 12:57:22 AM »
(Read the article here: http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/4352596/the-xbox-one-is-always-listening)
The new kinect for the xbox one will always be on, even when the xbox is off. Now equipped with a camera and microphone, rather than a sensor, it will always be watching and listening, waiting for "xbox turn on"
But isn't that a bit unsettling? Coupled with the xbox one's required 24/7 connection time to the kinect camera and microphone always being active, there could very well be a telescreen-like set up xbox one buyers will be facing.
Though, it's worth noting that it's still in discussion, we don't have all the information required.

Here is one quote worthy of mention:
In fact, the new camera and microphone system is so sensitive to your presence, that Microsoft says the new Kinect can even read your heartbeat while you're exercising, and recognize and process audio that's personalized to specific individuals. "This is rocket science level stuff," Xbox's Marc Whitten said during today's reveal.

Very, very creepy stuff.
O cursed spite that ever I was born to set it right!

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Is the "xbox one" the new telescreen?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 02:05:05 AM »
Duct. Tape.

Not that I'll be buying either the "Xbox One" (They throw a fit if you call it the one, or the xbox) or the PS4. Why? They removed the start and back buttons and replaced them with "options" and a "sharefuckfacetwatter" button. On the "Xbox One" they're a menu button and a resize button. Really? Resize? What the golly am I going to resize in a console game? Oh that's right, it's an "Entertainment experience" now. bless'ed Hell.

And I've been suffering. I really have. I've been holding back on buying a new computer. Not because I don't have the money, but because I WILL have GTA 5 in full glory. Even if I have to wait a year.

Thank god GTA 5 at least, is being released on the xbox 360. I'm out MicroBallmer. You got quite a bit of money out of me on the 360, I was at the midnight launch for several titles, but I'll probably never do that again.

Seriously, on the collectors edition of Gears Of War, you can tell that Microsoft repeatedly tried to neuter the bless'ed thing, to the point that Epic concealed the chainsaw gun when microsoft said to cut it, and only revealed it was still in at an announce event with BillG present. You could see the "golly you" in billG's eyes as he said "Huh, the chainsaw gun is still in there?"

That's what Microsoft is. Stifling innovation while pushing features no one bless'ed asked for.

Offline Mauve

• Australopithecus
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 08:51:29 AM »
I agree with you so much on GTA 5. I don't know what it was like for Gears of War since I never had an xbox ^^.
I did have a PS3, never really had any of the exclusives but Little Big Planet~

This next gen really does suck, though. Definitely going to have to get a good PC.

Offline SACPOP

• Human
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 11:21:01 AM »
Haha. I see what you mean about the Kinect and the telescreen. Seems like an authoritarian version of Wii Fit.

With a few notable exceptions, this gen did not really excite me much so I'm going to wait a few years before I buy anything. Probably not until the "independent developers" release their "alternative software".
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 11:25:03 AM by SACPOP »

Offline Autumn

• Account on hold
  • Cro-Magnon
  • No regrets
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 12:09:58 AM »
I thought creepy, too.

Probs will not buy. If we do it will be after a couple gens of the console are released.

Still like my 360 controller.

I feel like there is nothing on the new systems that I MUST have. Kinda neat, but a little over the top.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 02:34:18 AM »
Sorry, gotta defend wii fit here. Not only does the wii fit NOT use a camera, but you can user-lock your stats.

Offline SACPOP

• Human
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 09:48:08 AM »
I wasn't saying bad things about the Wii or Wii Fit. Wii is fine. I was saying the Xbox One with Kinect, an "always on" connection, a microphone, and biorythmic sensing was like an authoritarian version of Wii Fit.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 11:05:26 AM by SACPOP »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 05:08:17 PM »
Someone came up for the best name for this box of poo.

The Xbone

Offline megamarkd

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 09:58:52 PM »
In fact, the new camera and microphone system is so sensitive to your presence, that Microsoft says the new Kinect can even read your heartbeat while you're exercising, and recognize and process audio that's personalized to specific individuals. "This is rocket science level stuff," Xbox's Marc Whitten said during today's reveal.

Microsoft are trying the Sony "powerful enough to launch ICBMs" pre-launch b$ to hide the fact that it's a piss-poor excuse for a video game console (by last gen's standards).

The xbox360 store walk-by demo units do movement and audio sensing thing already (one of my workmates has one left over from a job somehow and it yells at passers-by and beckons them over to have a try).

The AI DJ is nothing new.  If a rocket scientist working for DARPA was to present their version of itunes genius after four years in the research labs, I don't doubt they are now working for M$.

I'd be surprised if the heartrate monitoring was happening sans wearable hardware, directional mic's can't follow someone as they bounce from side to side too well, and the sound of them doing the running-man can't help too much either.  If they can show us the tech they are achieving this with, that would be nice.

From what has been revealed about the next offerings from the two self-crowned kings of gaming consoles, they are not gaming consoles but facebook content generators.  They will be serving us games like Virtua-Slumlord™ and turn-based shopping simulators to play in-between watching movies we have bought the right to watch once in the the next 40mins from them.  And social network access so we can basically advertise for them ( posted via ps4/xbone  will likely follow any interaction via these consoles on the social networking circuits).

As for M$ trying to spy one their users telescreen style, I would think it will be in a more googlesque manner where they will be selling our private habits to marketing firms.

Duct. Tape.

Holds the world together, along with slot-screws and cable-ties.

But yeah, I was thinking a postcard or the like myself, not so sticking to remove.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 11:19:51 PM by megamarkd »

Offline Mauve

• Australopithecus

Offline megamarkd

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 11:44:16 PM »
Nice summery of what the future of console gaming is ::)

And Nintendo has led the way in loungeroom gaming trends yet again.
You all laughed at them when they went for a more 'casual' approach with their last offering.  You all said they had lost direction and were dooming themselves by aiming at the mum, dad and the kids market.
Looks like they made more money than SCE and M$ and the 'grown-ups' aren't happy about that.

The big problem is though, the grown-ups couldn't design a gaming entertainment system to save their lives, so they are going to aim at selling a streaming video receiver disguised as a games machine.

"But but but....." but nothing.  Sony and M$'s past efforts have been designed to run specific software with no real focus on games except that the software that was developed for their machines was primarily gaming software.  All they needed to do was provide a machine that could process hardcore audio and video on-the-fly.  Now that facebook gaming is more popular than watching load-screen game-tips, they don't know what to do, thus the next gen is the 21st century version of a vcr and video rental shop rolled into one.  The top-of-line vcr's in the 80's let us play tetris, this updated version will let us play COD.

Nintendo have been making games for over 100 years.....

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 10:03:32 PM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Xbox One Requirements:

Requires broadband internet (ISP fees apply), a Microsoft account and an account on Xbox Live in an Xbox One-supported Xbox Live country/region, and 720p or higher HDMI-compatible TV. To receive live TV via broadcast or cable, supported receiver device (television tuner or cable/satellite set top box) with HDMI output and HDMI cable required (all sold separately).

Additional subscriptions, internet speed and/or requirements apply for some features.

Kinect Sensor for Xbox One (included) and periodic system software updates required for continued use; significant updates may be required during set-up and over time (ISP fees apply).

Some games not transferable and have no resale value; restrictions on games usage apply.

Games, Kinect and accessories made for Xbox 360 or original Xbox will not work with Xbox One.

Xbox One system software uses a significant amount of storage; less internal storage will be available to users. 500 GB = 500 billion bytes.

You must accept Xbox Terms of Use (including Xbox software terms and game license terms), Microsoft Services Agreement, and Xbox One 1-year limited warranty. Some games have additional license terms.
    Terms include binding arbitration with class action waiver to resolve disputes.

Additional requirements will apply.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 10:06:07 PM by brickbatz »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 10:28:52 PM »
Apparently if you obstruct the kinnect it "pauses" and tells you to clear the obstruction. So blocking it is not an option microsoft wants you to have.

Also, they are not mentioning the kinnect at all during their E3 presentation.

And Aisha Tyler said the internet is "Just bitching."

I'll madam with my wallet, Aisha Tyler.

Offline SACPOP

• Human
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 11:01:46 PM »
I never bought the 360 and I have no immediate intention of buying the XboxOne, but once it's been out a while and the evil haxxorz do their devil magic I might look into it.

I'm more of a Playstation fan, so I'd be more likely to buy a PS4 but instead of buying around release as I've done in the past, I think I'll wait a while on this gen.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 11:48:36 PM »
360 rocks, I love it. Never bought a connect.

I did have to send mine in for repair, and they replaced it. One annoying thing is if I wait too long between plays, it resets to UK defaults, so I guess mine came from the UK.

They released a new model a while back, dunno if those experience the red ring of death.

I loved the PS2, but the PS3 had a lot of "golly you consumers" rather than features. I especially disliked how they scaled back reverse compatability in favor of "Cloud" gaming, and removing the otherOS feature for shits and giggles was not cool.

I remember the PSP constantly nagged for updates. Never happened, since I had mine housetrained.

I'm about as interested in "Cloud" anything as I am a kick to the nuts. My SNES doesn't need to connect to the cloud for me to play games, and neither should my console now!

Seriously, golly the cloud. Local storage represent!

I do need to replace my PS2 controllers, and memory cards. Anyone know a cheap way to get legit dualshock 2's? Everywhere I look they want $30 for a dual shock 2. Even amazon wants $20.

There is a reason PS2 dominated. They did everything right, and didn't try to slip any "golly you consumers" in.

Another danger with the Xbone and PS4 is the constant cloud connection. People used to lie and say the PS3 and Xbox 360 had tamper proof screws that would scuttle the device if you opened the casing. With "Always On" functionality I would guess they could go over even the most basic of stats to see if you installed extra fans.

I obviously won't be buying Xbox live gold, to show microsoft that the Xbone is a step in the wrong direction.