Author Topic: Local News  (Read 82421 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Local News
« Reply #195 on: April 20, 2021, 07:22:24 AM »
M1 around Leicester is almost always shut with accidents.

I'm no fan of motorway driving at the best of times. You have to take your life in your hands and hope for the best.

You have less chance dying from COVID, I reckon.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #196 on: August 14, 2021, 12:40:22 AM »
very localised news for me.
Managed to get Medieval Total war working on my pc.0
downloaded and installed as instructed then watched a You tube tutorial on how to swap a few files ( have the gold edition which the you tube video states wont work on ) swapped a few .dll files ?? and blow me it started.

next is if it does the campaigns which is all I really like not the battles.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #197 on: August 21, 2021, 01:47:29 PM »
For many years I was unable to play Med because a roommate left with one of the discs. Eventually it hit $4 on Steam so I just bought it again. It's a fantastic game.

Oddly enough, I don't like the other titles from the same company. You're correct, that campaign is something magical. Like AOEII.

As to news, there's actually some good news for a change. The Uber law was struck down as unconstitutional. I walked away from that election dispirited, most of the initiatives I supported failed, and the bad ones passed. That Uber law was particularly stinky.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #198 on: August 21, 2021, 05:32:37 PM »

I was also glad to see that law struck down.

I try to avoid taking Uber, because the company's business model sucks.  It exploits its workers too much for me to feel right about taking one just because it's cheaper than a regular cab.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #199 on: November 27, 2021, 02:52:54 AM »
Well Storm Arwen had me up in the night collecting dustbins rolling around the street and covering up furniture
In the garden.
Plus snow fell this morning  ??? ??? We rarely get snow in Leicester 8) 

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #200 on: November 27, 2021, 03:28:20 PM »
Well Storm Arwen had me up in the night collecting dustbins rolling around the street and covering up furniture
In the garden.

Well, at least you have that fine cheese as consolation.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #201 on: November 27, 2021, 04:01:32 PM »
In the garden.

Nothing to speak of in London. Just very chilly all of a sudden.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #202 on: November 28, 2021, 12:25:42 AM »
Well, at least you have that fine cheese as consolation.

;D ;D ;D ;D,
Yes that glorious supermarket mass produced lumps of rubber.  :-\
But if a person becomes "Indiana Jones" and does look around, true gems can be found of this cheese.
Next weekend friends are having a cheese night and someone suggested for us to make a ball of cheese which is apparently popular in the USA.
(when i hear this I straight away wait for the "WHATS THAT from the locals)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #203 on: November 28, 2021, 02:01:04 AM »
Cheese balls are a joke among serious foodies.

You can pick them up at shopping mall stores like Hickory Farms.  There's great cheesewrights in the U.S.  I remember something called Stinking Bishop offered at the National Gallery restaurant last time I was in England.  That's to your credit, that you Brits can invent such great names for cheese.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #204 on: December 08, 2021, 12:55:39 AM »
What can you say about the Downing street xmas party  ;D ;D ;D ;D, funny yes  but seriously what a disaster.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #205 on: December 08, 2021, 02:35:32 AM »
What can you say about the Downing street xmas party  ;D ;D ;D ;D, funny yes  but seriously what a disaster.

I absolutely don't believe there was any Christmas party to speak for one, glaringly obvious reason: if there had been Dominic Cummings would have sung the news from the rooftops.

He'll probably now crawl out from under his stone and say: "yeah, massive party everyone doing the 'oops upside your head' dance, apple bobbing, mass snogging etc". Watch this space ...

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #206 on: December 08, 2021, 07:46:30 AM »
I missed the talk on cheese balls!

Kaukauna Cheese Ball. That's the monster.

I am both a sucker for them at parties and stocked them at the supermarket deli I worked at and angrily podcasted over.

Honestly looking back, it was a cake job, and I was just in a pressure cooker of poo. A do-over would see a very different me.

The cheese display at my kroger supermarket was called the cheese corral, and we were to date check it weekly. This did NOT please my manager, who would have preferred a date check of "never".

Weird parallel to my COMPUSA job where I did a store check for theft. Hint: High!

I filled two shopping carts with boxes that non-customers had cut open with x-acto knifes and stolen the product within.

This did not endear me to management. And I missed the point severely at COMPUSA. I thought it was a good thing to get the empty packaging off the shelves. Instead, it made my management look incompetent.

Same for Kroger. There were items up to two years out of date in the cheese corral. And it wasn't department locked. I once bought Pizza Bites for lunch, only to find they were SEVEN years out of date.

The manager acted like I was defrauding the store, when a customer response could have been quite worse.

It was a weird contrast. My training was both thorough and cautious. They had us flour our hands at start of shift, and dirty aprons were a bad sign.

I've got sensory issues, so my hands were clean, my apron was clean, and my brain was stupid. I'm surprised I didn't end up in management.

The one line that scared me most in training was that we never know when a customer is pregnant, and if we golly up, that baby can die. Clean food is no joke.

I've taken the "spit in food" joke personally for a long time. No food worker should ever stoop so low.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 07:52:14 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #207 on: December 09, 2021, 01:11:32 AM »
Wife made her cheese ball will Boursin cheese + grated Scottish extra mature Cheddar coated in walnuts.
It went well and everyone was shocked as never had them before.
A tad messy to make, she eventually put the mix into moulds to cool down and harden.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 01:11:39 AM by goldshirt*9 »

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #208 on: January 21, 2022, 03:35:22 AM »
Not Local but
RIP Meatloaf- A classical LP and performer

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #209 on: January 21, 2022, 06:17:22 AM »
Handy site for those that are stuck in the middle of constructing their websites, and need an image (no names, obviously):

http://textfiles.com/underconstruction/

(I'm not sure that this is local news: moderators please feel free to move it somewhere more appropriate)

It's not the site, it's wading through a gazillion images to select ones for each section, then optimising those in Lightroom etc and then building the actual pages.

I has a child that says it's old fashioned and he could do a modern, "dynamic" site for me. Problem is, he shares my blood.

I realise this is an "in" topic and will prolly go over everyone elses head.