Author Topic: Current Events  (Read 37887 times)

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
Re: Current Events
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2016, 10:21:50 PM »
^ Funny stuff, but true. The only candidate worse than Drumpf is Clinton.
There is no candidate worse the trump. Sorry but I would vote for Clinton in a heartbeat to keep that maniacal scallywag away from my childrens future.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2016, 10:29:29 PM »

Thank you. Move here and then you have a say so in the terrifying future we are facing.

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2016, 07:23:03 AM »
Does anyone remember Gus Hall?

"...In the 1964 presidential election, Hall's party supported Lyndon B. Johnson, saying it was necessary to prevent the victory of the conservative Barry Goldwater. During the 1972 presidential election, the CPUSA withdrew its support from the Democratic party and nominated Hall as its candidate. Hall ran for president four times—in 1972, 1976, 1980, and 1984—the last two times with Angela Davis. Of the four elections, Hall received the largest number of votes in 1976, largely because of the Watergate scandal bringing protest votes for minor parties. But Hall ranked only in eighth place among the presidential candidates. Owing to the great expense of running, the difficulty in meeting the strenuous and different election law provisions in each state, and the difficulty in getting media coverage, the CPUSA decided to suspend running national campaigns while continuing to run candidates at the local level..."

Estragon: I can't go on like this.
Vladimir: That's what you think.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2016, 12:09:19 AM »
27 days until  voting for or against BREXIT begins

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2016, 03:50:23 PM »
27 days until  voting for or against BREXIT begins

You in or out?

I'm an outtie.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2016, 04:31:24 PM »
I tend to be a rabid jingoistic xenophobic Gosportonian, but what I would really appreciate is someone laying out truthfully what the benefits to the layman are of being politically/ economically aligned with Europe/ not being. All I hear is "Leaving will lead to the Apocalypse" (not true, by the way) or "Staying in is the Devil's Work™" (almost certainly equally not true).

I understand that big business benefits from transborder trading, but I fail to see what benefit it brings to the man in the street (although I would be happy to be illumined). I actually feel English (... maybe, just maybe at a push "British"). I really, really, don't feel "European". Barcelona/ Paris/ Munich are nice places to visit, but they certainly don't feel like home.

I really don't like the idea of subsidising Greek farmers, or Italian shoemakers, but are we somehow better off for doing so?

I want facts, not rants and soundbites from people that i wouldn't trust with my grandson's piggybank, let alone a country's finances.

I don't vote though, as it only encourages politicians.

The Labour MP I do some work for (she's primarily a friend) who is obviously all for staying in, said to me ages ago when no one really cared about the referendum that leaving would be a catastrophe as we'd be left trying to deal with countries like China - and deal with them on our own.

Whilst I understand that argument, I can't see how any of it would have an impact on the poor as they couldn't get much poorer as it is. If it means that fat shareholders from big corporations start having to shop in Harvey Nichols instead of Harrods, I'm cool with dat.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2016, 09:32:47 PM »
Here in the US, no one was a huge fan of NAFTA, and rumors of the NWO and the "Amero" persist, despite it only being a trade deal.

Opposition is along similar lines. Hell, Trump's primary running point aside from "I like being on TV " was to build a wall between the US and Mexico.

I see nothing wrong with alliances, but merging countries in some katamari type clusterfuck helps no one, and probably just confuses the chinese.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2016, 01:46:40 AM »
Kim Jong-Un has endorsed Donald Trump.  How could we go wrong with such a ringing endorsement?

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2016, 06:36:07 AM »
Kim Jong-Un has endorsed Donald Trump.  How could we go wrong with such a ringing endorsement?

They'll probably be those who cite "keep your friends close and your enemies closer".

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2016, 09:59:20 AM »
You in or out?

I'm an outtie.
after many conversations this week, I am totally unsure, I travelled from Leicester to Builth in Wales and the amount of signs demanding Vote out were astounding, even the odd chap standing by the road side holding banners.

the closer we get to the vote the weirder the propaganda we hear

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2016, 05:11:48 PM »
after many conversations this week, I am totally unsure, I travelled from Leicester to Builth in Wales and the amount of signs demanding Vote out were astounding, even the odd chap standing by the road side holding banners.

the closer we get to the vote the weirder the propaganda we hear

Londoners seem to be mainly for staying in.  I'm a little out in the cold I fear.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2020, 11:40:38 AM »
This whole idea of watching CNN to get a broader perspective of global news isn't working out. My missus is now so incensed by Trump that she gets quite angry. I've told her it's not our business - it's a bit like peeking over into a neighbour's house and getting arsed about what they're eating for dinner or the like. It's sort of ok to peek into the neighbour's house to see what they're having for dins, but it's their affair and, as long as they don't force it on us, it's none of our concern.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2020, 03:36:57 PM »
CNN banks on its ability to inspire rage.  I rarely watch it.  If you want to be informed about US news, try watching the PBS NewsHour.

I was reading this article today in the New York Times and I suddenly realized that the stellar British university system had eroded due to short sighted budget cutting. I had thought that the system was competitive but once accepted, tuition was free, at least.  But I guess that hasn't been the case for quite a while.  I wonder how much the government helps students, if at all?

The situation described in the article has worsened under COVID.  Several of the budget cutting measures and the related fallout also have hurt US colleges and universities.  So I was wondering about smokester TNG and how he was faring at Uni?  Here's the link.  They specifically refer to Manchester Metropolitan Uni.  It sounds pretty scary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/06/world/europe/virus-UK-universities.html?searchResultPosition=1
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 03:39:52 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2020, 04:52:14 PM »
I remember back in 2004? CNN would turn my computer into a bless'ed space heater with all the stupid background poo they loaded.

Not a trusted source in my book.

I'll admit, I was hoping "he" would die in the hospital.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2020, 08:45:11 PM »
I'm way more scared of Mike Pence than of Trump.  I'd take a bullet for Trump to keep Pence out of the White House.