Author Topic: Current Events  (Read 37852 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: Current Events
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2020, 12:23:45 AM »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2020, 07:29:09 AM »
8ully, there was an article in the NYTimes that outlined this process.  Apparently, there is a danger that the Electors in specific states can ignore the results of the popular election and throw all their votes to their desired candidate.  There is a great deal to be desired in the flawed electoral process in this country.  Yet when there are calls to fix it, they are thwarted.  The country has definitely become increasingly less democratic.

Lord only knows what Trump might get up to.  My hope lies in Georgia's ability to send us two more Democratic Senators.  With a 50/50 balance, the Vice President gets to decide any ties, and that's Kamala Harris.  I listened to Biden's speech last night and his sentiments were kind and decent as well as earnestly attempting to heal the breach and to reach across the aisle to Republican voters.  This recalls Obama's attempts in the same direction that were met time and time again with obstruction.

I truly hope that changes this time around.  I'd give a good deal to never have to see Mitch McConnell's face again.  He and Lindsey Graham make me want to go take a bath.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2020, 04:48:46 PM »
The defense I usually see for the electoral college is "More people live in Los Angeles than in these X states, Combined! Do you really want them to have more of a say?"

And my answer today would be "Yes".

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2020, 05:22:53 AM »
My response to that is, "why is the vote of someone in Wyoming worth 64 times my vote?"  It seems fundamentally unfair and basically undemocratic. 

My understanding is that the origins of the Electoral College are intimately intertwined with the institution of slavery.  That's another reason to give it the heave-ho.  I hope to live long enough to see it abolished.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2020, 07:31:23 PM »
Dang 6, yours is WAY better. Do you mind if I use it in future?

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2020, 04:59:49 AM »
Of course not.  One only has to compare the sparse populations of many of the deep red mountain states with those on the West Coast to see the fundamental disparity and unfairness. 

And for entertainment, here's a fundamentalist preacher beseeching the Almighty to insure that her candidate prevails.  I used to think the left was kooky, but these people take the biscuit.  Check out Rev Paula White who most likely got ordained by mailing in a matchbook cover.  Skip ahead to around 1:23 because life's too short. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 05:01:35 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2020, 02:47:55 AM »
Her gibberish (Speaking in tongues) is really offensive.

I also want to know who the gym wear douchebag who kept wandering through the frame was.

Good news is the evangelicals are an ever shrinking demographic.

BOOMSHAKALAKA

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2020, 09:30:48 AM »
The one thing that strikes me about all these evangelicals who supposedly speak in tongues is that they never actually make sounds that are really abberrant from those they might normally make in their mother tongue.

I think of the difficulties I've faced in learning other languages and how hard it was to contort tongue, lips, and other facial muscles in an attempt to make the correct sounds.  If I had a sudden communion with divinity that would enable me to speak in tongues, I'd expect to be able to do this without a terrible American accent.  Because God would be the best language instructor.  No Duolingo for him, he just miraculously bestows this ability.  Paula White is full of poo with her unintelligible babble.  She's a charlatan who profits on the gullible by exploiting their faith.

(IIRC this--speaking in tongues-- had to do with the descent of the Holy Spirit during the Feast of the Pentecost in which this gift was bestowed on the faithful so that they would be able to spread the Gospel to the far ends of the Earth, where, presumably, other languages than those known to the Apostles would be spoken.)  The Catholic Encyclopedia, one of my favorite references, describes it here:  https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14776c.htm

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2020, 09:40:12 AM »
Amen

Online smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2020, 03:29:39 PM »
I don't want to cause offence, but one thing about the debacle over Trump's losing the election - in fact, his whole term in office - is that the term "leader of the free world" is never going to have any credence outside of the US. It just seems so ridiculous.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2020, 04:51:32 PM »
Trump is the leader of a group of people who somehow feel left out by the Democratic party and who have bought into the idea that a bunch of laissez faire billionaires give a toss about them.  It's sad.

As for "leader of the free world," if I've learned one thing from living outside the U.S. is that the myth of "American exceptionalism" is just that: a myth.  So many other countries serve their citizens and work to achieve the best for the commonweal better than we do.  It's really sad.  There's a lot of arenas where the U.S. falls short:  health care, education, etc.  The idea that everyone should chip in to pay for transportation infrastructure, education, health, science and even space exploration, seems so alien to so many.  When I was a child, there was a real "can do" attitude.  It resulted in Americans walking on the moon.  Now, it seems we can't manage to do much of anything as a nation.  That's a real tragedy, but there you have it.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 04:53:07 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2020, 09:15:10 AM »
Truth, and I'm happy to read it.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2020, 09:23:59 AM »
so apparently
UK and EU reach deal on Northern Ireland border checks which was the sticking point

Online smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2020, 05:52:49 AM »
so apparently
UK and EU reach deal on Northern Ireland border checks which was the sticking point

I heard something about airplane parts post brexit. Something to do with E.U standards being met. Know anything about that?
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2020, 08:21:59 AM »
I heard something about airplane parts post brexit. Something to do with E.U standards being met. Know anything about that?
All airplane parts have to comply with F.A.A and C.A.A so unsure about E.U standards even being in the equation. ATM no one making a lot of civil aviation parts anyway  ;D ;D
If Easa then
https://www.easa.europa.eu/light/topics/united-kingdom
https://www.caa.co.uk/Our-work/About-us/UK-EU-transition/

Basically we are out of EASA and UK will have no sway with any decisions with then.

Directly we supply other suppliers so wont directly apply to us, but in the waterfall of things then it could ?