Author Topic: Current Events  (Read 37898 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Current Events
« Reply #165 on: February 12, 2021, 03:42:06 PM »
I've been rumbled!

Wouldn't a heated seat make all your children girls?
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #166 on: February 12, 2021, 04:46:09 PM »
Did I have a stroke? I'm not understanding anything lately it seems.
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #167 on: February 19, 2021, 11:55:01 AM »
Sorry. My fault. I have a tendency to lapse into incomprehensibility.

... and I have given up having children, so the putative sex of any future offspring is irrelevant! (I couldn’t afford heated seats when I was of child-producing age!)

I was chatting to a Southampton fella today working on my property and talking about COVID I mentioned that I found it hard to believe that Gosport was in tier 4 before lockdown. He replied that it was because Gosportians were well dodgy and that was coming from a "scummer".

Got to be honest, when making up a name for someone from my district I'd surely stay away from including "scum" in the term.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #168 on: February 20, 2021, 12:14:22 AM »
Gosport was in tier 4 before lockdown. He replied that it was because Gosportians were well dodgy and that
Lockdown ? whats that ??

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #169 on: February 20, 2021, 10:39:36 AM »
Never trust a scummer.

- but -

Gosport is four-fifths council estate. We lead most league tables in things like teen pregnancy, homelessness, drug abuse, child poverty, and similar. It is the sort of place that youngsters plan to leave at their first opportunity, and never return. I quite like it, but I’m used to it: no one in their right mind would choose to come here voluntarily.

He actually said that they were in tier 4 because they were "filthy bastards" but I softened it so as not to offend. He wasn't overly serious about it and we were more laughing along with each other. It was when I said I knew someone from there and I'd tell you what he said about Gosportians, that he said to tell you that it was coming from a scummer.

He is actually contracted to remove our roofing tiles as they are 1% asbestos and comes up from Southampton daily. I can't help but admire that as 2 miles from my front door is about my limit.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #170 on: February 21, 2021, 01:51:56 PM »
I had to look up Gosport on a map.  It looks like it was some kind of Royal Naval settlement for a while, based on the historic buildings.  My knowledge of UK geography is pathetic.  I had thought it was up north somewhere. 

It's on the water, so that's a plus.  If you have a nice house and nice neighbors, and they're not brewing up toxic chemicals next door, I can imagine it can be a comfortable place to live.  I assume "scummer" is a term designating geographical origins, like "geordies" or something similar.  Here's a comical description for casual tourists.  https://www.ilivehere.co.uk/gosport-hampshire-2.html

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #171 on: February 21, 2021, 02:52:08 PM »
I had to look up Gosport on a map.  It looks like it was some kind of Royal Naval settlement for a while, based on the historic buildings.  My knowledge of UK geography is pathetic.  I had thought it was up north somewhere. 

It's on the water, so that's a plus.  If you have a nice house and nice neighbors, and they're not brewing up toxic chemicals next door, I can imagine it can be a comfortable place to live.  I assume "scummer" is a term designating geographical origins, like "geordies" or something similar.  Here's a comical description for casual tourists.  https://www.ilivehere.co.uk/gosport-hampshire-2.html

I love in your link that it describes Gosport as "Gosport, Hampshire, a seaside sh*thole".

That made me chuckle.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #172 on: February 22, 2021, 12:44:12 AM »
What a interesting link 6, love about reading where i live  ;D

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #173 on: February 23, 2021, 08:39:16 AM »
There are two cities in Connecticut:  New London and Groton, that served a similar purpose.  I believe they built submarines in Groton.  New London is served by Amtrak passenger rail.  They both have an impressive maritime history but are somewhat economically depressed.  I have never really felt the need to visit either, but I suspect they're both interesting places in their own way.

I really enjoyed Liverpool, but it struck me as a beautiful place at the turn of the last century, with shipping and railroad money as well as overflow capital from nearby textile centers.  The Albert Docks and the Maritime museum were highlights, but there were beautiful auditoria and pubs that reflected the former prosperity as well as the magnificent cathedral.  There's a branch of the Tate Modern (or at least there was) that had a minimalist sculpture exhibit.  But that was a million years ago.  I don't know if its situation has improved or declined since then.  I expect there's plenty of interesting historic buildings in both Portsmouth and Gosport.  If we ever get past this pandemic, we'd like to travel more in the UK, but right now we are still waiting to get a vaccine.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #174 on: February 23, 2021, 10:14:50 AM »
Succinct, accurate: I couldn't think of a better description.

With nice cars, though.

Portsmouth next door was a massive naval dockyard, and Gosport was sort of overspill: we had victualling yards, breweries, armaments depots etc. to support the shipbuilding across the harbour. Then because navy people were needed for that stuff, we had all sorts of infrastructure to support them: hospitals, cemeteries, prisons, training schools. We also had a submarine base and a naval aviation airfield. And then they built fortifications to protect everything, which needed more barracks / accommodation for the troops that manned the forts.

This led to a lot of naval housing being built to house all of the navy folk and pubs: when we had a population of 50,000 we had about 500 pubs

When the navy moved out (we stopped fighting wars, apparently) we were left with a lot of military establishments, sub-standard housing and no jobs. About the only thing an old establishment can be used for is a museum, and one town can only support so many museums before it collapses under the weight of all that history.

I hear anywhere on the coast is where to be these days. Perhaps Gosport isn't blowing its trumpet loud enough.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #175 on: March 09, 2021, 12:27:54 AM »
Not reading about Harry and Meghan on line  :o :o

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #176 on: March 10, 2021, 08:16:27 AM »
Oprah is a marketing genius.  That they chose her for the interview was a shrewd move if the idea was to control spin in a positive way.

I still don't get the whole Royal Family thing, but ... I guess they are talked about for the same reason as the Pope is a focus wherever he goes.  I like to ruminate as to what an alien anthropologist would make of them and the entire apparatus that makes their continued existence possible and seemingly necessary.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #177 on: March 10, 2021, 12:00:22 PM »
Clapham in the news for all the wrong reasons:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56342465

Shan't comment on Meg and Hazza but I get the inside track from my neighbour when I get to speak to her.

This is her.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #178 on: March 10, 2021, 04:45:45 PM »
I'm sure she's fun to talk to, although she sounds like she's good at her job and probably knows when to keep her mouth shut.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #179 on: March 11, 2021, 12:25:58 AM »
I kinda think, its nt news but the press state it is.
Worst things going on in the world than a fighting family ( we all know what thats like).