Author Topic: Current Events  (Read 37905 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: Current Events
« Reply #255 on: September 03, 2021, 11:19:17 PM »
So yesterday my son finally had his "graduation".
No walking on stage, no presentation of degree certificates .
Finally a closure of University academia life and he / all of that "Covid" year can move on.
All the hopes and aspirations being thrown around.

Was fun and expensive to see all these young ish graduates saying goodbye.
Next stop Sandhurst

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #256 on: October 06, 2021, 10:52:47 AM »
Excellent news!  My daughter is now a freshman.  She's also, painfully so, a teenager.  I've adjusted my whole life to this, totally worth it :) there was never a better calling.
My son is as sweet as he is maturing.  Still a decent boy and into a decent man. ❤🕯👩‍👧‍👦

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #257 on: October 06, 2021, 02:59:59 PM »
You make me feel old, Bea.  Kids do grow up fast, though.  Hope everything else is well and that you are all adjusting to life in IL.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #258 on: October 08, 2021, 07:03:58 AM »
I'm trying to calm down from chasing away a couple of guys who decided to get out a grinder and remove the catalytic converter from a neighbor's car.  It was parked outside our house.  I heard this awful loud noise and figured out what was going on.  Ran out and chased them away in my bare feet and sleep shirt.  It didn't occur to me that they might be armed.  I was just pissed off.  I think I interrupted them before they got away with it.  As I was shouting at them, the guy jumped into a waiting car and they sped off down the street. It was dark so I didn't really see them as it was just before 5 a.m.  It was a blur, really, and too dark to see them well enough to help the cops.  Adventures in insomnia.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 07:06:46 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #259 on: October 09, 2021, 07:40:07 AM »
I'm trying to calm down from chasing away a couple of guys who decided to get out a grinder and remove the catalytic converter from a neighbor's car.  It was parked outside our house.  I heard this awful loud noise and figured out what was going on.  Ran out and chased them away in my bare feet and sleep shirt.  It didn't occur to me that they might be armed.  I was just pissed off.  I think I interrupted them before they got away with it.  As I was shouting at them, the guy jumped into a waiting car and they sped off down the street. It was dark so I didn't really see them as it was just before 5 a.m.  It was a blur, really, and too dark to see them well enough to help the cops.  Adventures in insomnia.

That's an admirable reaction if not a little precarious.

It seems it's a global phenomenon that criminals are far more bold and uncaring about any particular consequence. They would quite literally steal the shirt off one's back. It's even worse now when wearing a facemask is not considered a threat and it, in some cases, mandatory. The law-abiding stand no chance.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #260 on: October 11, 2021, 09:19:47 AM »
Happens all over, very brave of you.
Friend got told to go back in the house and dont come back out or else
The ELSE does deserve capitals in this case  ???

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #261 on: October 11, 2021, 10:14:57 AM »
Thanks.  It didn't occur to me that it would be dangerous.  I didn't think.  I was just so angry, I ran out and roared at them.  Fortunately, they just wanted to get away.  I checked a few hours later and saw that the car still had the catalytic converter intact, so I guess I succeeded. 

Calling the cops wouldn't really have done anything to stop them, since they'd have been long gone before the police arrived.  My throat was sore for a day from the efforts.  I didn't get back to sleep either.  I guess I was just lucky.  They probably just drove to another neighborhood and went at it again.  My neighbor had two stolen and finally gave up and sold his car.

Are people becoming more cruel or are we just more aware of it because the population is denser and we notice this kind of thing more?  I can't imagine this kind of thing happening when I was a child.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #262 on: October 11, 2021, 03:30:45 PM »
I don't think that people are more cruel per se, they just have absolutely no regard for any consequence as the world has already ended so what's to worry about. It's kind of like the "Purge" only permanent.

Online 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #263 on: October 12, 2021, 03:40:49 AM »
The Purge was purposely designed to eradicate the homeless in universe.

There is a guy on youtube, CZ that does fairly deep dives into horror movies, and he did a master class on ALL of the purge movies, the "new founding fathers" and some of the stuff that the movies gloss over.

He's utterly fantastic, and I can't recommend him enough. I turn my adblock off for his videos.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #264 on: March 13, 2022, 06:37:04 AM »
To be honest, last night the missus and I decided not to watch the news before going to bed as it has been giving us real nightmares. I imagine we are not alone and I truly now worry if our children having ambition is both realistic and/or worth it.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #265 on: March 13, 2022, 02:14:13 PM »
If parents had felt like that in the sixties - when let's face it things (Bay of Pigs, Cold War, four-minute warnings etc.) were a lot worse than they currently are - then your generation would have missed out. It is worrying that we may breed another generation of "Reds under the Bed" paranoiacs.

You will know that things are bad when the government dusts off "Protect and Survive".

It's interesting that you say that as I can remember the bay of pigs in as much as I knew my mother showed a kind of concern that still haunts me. All I knew was that people were saying something about WW3 and that everyone seemed terrified for some time. I am now in my mid 50s and still it haunts me. What then will children of this generation feel in their lives. They have to rationalise a pandemic, a war - senseless like no other, global warming, Trump, the Chinese threat and all the array of other reasons that have motivated to protest in a very public way? I may have witnessed some of these things throughout my life, but never have they seemed so pronounced or accented.

It's shite and I want to get off.

It is interesting that Putin is still closely following the GWB/ Blair playbook (as modified by the use of Trumpian "fake news" klaxons): "they have WMD!", "regime change", "coalition of the just" etc., but our media is still completely oblivious to the irony.

When we "took down a local warlord" it was obviously in the name of peace, when they "kidnap a local mayor" it is a war crime.

When we hit a hospital/ wedding party/ children's school, it was "unfortunate collateral damage", when they do the same ...

I do see your points and have always struggled with irony of it all. However, this does seems to be by the will of just one man as it is literally one brother having to kill another. There does not seem to be a perceived "them and us" in this conflict. It's just killing without a goal.

Online 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #266 on: March 13, 2022, 04:22:30 PM »
poo, that reminds me, I never posted the manifesto that went up and got pulled within like five minutes.

It's essentially the simpsons sketch where they flip their placard back to USSR.

https://www.businessinsider.com/russian-state-news-published-an-article-saying-russia-defeated-ukraine-2022-2

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #267 on: March 13, 2022, 10:09:42 PM »
It is interesting that Putin is still closely following the GWB/ Blair playbook (as modified by the use of Trumpian "fake news" klaxons): "they have WMD!", "regime change", "coalition of the just" etc., but our media is still completely oblivious to the irony.

When we "took down a local warlord" it was obviously in the name of peace, when they "kidnap a local mayor" it is a war crime.

When we hit a hospital/ wedding party/ children's school, it was "unfortunate collateral damage", when they do the same ...

Watched this Documentary yesterday, is 2017 but thought provoking ref Isis And the West
Hell on Earth 

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #268 on: September 08, 2022, 11:32:12 AM »
golly. The queen's dead!

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #269 on: September 08, 2022, 11:33:47 AM »
You have my condolences.  She seems to have been a virtuous person with a big personality.  We could use more leaders like her.

The media is simply describing "medical supervision" at Balmoral, but not death, although that seems to be imminent.  Nope.  Now it's confirmed by Buckingham Palace.  A sad day.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 11:36:53 AM by 6pairsofshoes »