Author Topic: What are you eating / What did you eat.  (Read 64604 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: What are you eating / What did you eat.
« Reply #405 on: October 02, 2022, 01:21:18 PM »
I had some breaded sea bass and beer battered chips. It was quite good but as I've decided to do the sober-October, I feel a little guilty about the batter.

Not.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #406 on: October 03, 2022, 12:34:45 AM »
That sounds delicious.

We had vegetable soup that I made this afternoon with a nice loaf of olive bread.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #407 on: October 03, 2022, 12:38:21 AM »
Dirty water dogs.

Grabbed the first recipe off the goog, natch.

I will list the substitutions here.

First, the recipe called for a quart of water, I used 2 Cups, which gives you a nice Solomon cut to all the ingredients. I left the spices as is because I LIKE spices.

So, You've got your pot of water, what are you going to do to it?

2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
Don't have it, here's 1 TB of Balsalmic. WOW, that looks evil. I like it.

A big pinch (1/8th of a teaspoon) of ground cumin
A big pinch of garlic powder
A big pinch of ground nutmeg
A tiny pinch of curing salt

I used non-iodized salt, because I need to use it up, and I don't have curing salt.

This may be the only time I've used nutmeg outside of baking. I dig it. I boiled the dogs in the dirty water and the result was spicy and tasty.

I've had so many boring hot dogs in my life, it was nice to have one that made my eyes pop open.

Oh, I broiled two hot dog buns and used a garlic aoli and the much derided yum-yum sauce that I put sriracha in. and crumbled some shredded jack cheese over the top leftover from the burritos.

The jack cheese stubbornly reassimilated itself, so I had to peel the damn thing like a cheese stick. This resulted in a lower "yield" which I think actually helped this dish.

I don't really mention salads here, but I had a boring salad with the dogs. It was boring.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #408 on: October 03, 2022, 10:13:49 AM »
That sounds like a great way to spice up dull hot dogs.

Nutmeg is an underrated spice.  I use it in quiches, but imagine it would be nice as a complement to cumin.  I guess some cheeses are more amenable to melting than others, but kudos on the experiments.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #409 on: October 04, 2022, 02:23:52 AM »
Bastardized chopped cheese and tacos. (Can you tell I have a lot of ground beef/turkey?

This one is simple, as it is perplexing. You're NOT supposed to alter it, but I alter everything. Some clap about authenticity to BROOKLYN (I've never been)

Essentially, you're supposed to start with a ground beef burger patty, add onion, and chop it all to hell on a flat grill, essentially just making minced beef with onion.
Next you're supposed to ONLY use a hero roll, I used hot dog buns, the crime. You put mayo and ketchup on the roll.
As you're mixing the meat and onions into a flavorful blend, you stop... but leave the grill going. You hit that with some adobo seasoning and top with AMERICAN CHEESE SLICES. (I actually did this one right.)

Once the cheese is melty, you chop again, hence chopped cheese. (this is messy)
Next, you spatula your mix into your prepped roll, overfilling intentionally, and top it with shredded lettuce and slices of tomato.
I don't have sliced tomato, but I did buy a can of diced tomatoes, so I used that (Blasphemy again)

So that's a chopped cheese. One fun accompaniment was the beverage, a Bloody Mary. I recently read that the tomato juice is more important than the vodka, and I had a LOT of juice from that can.

So I mixed up a bloody mary following some fairly simple instructions

1. get a glass
2. Lemon the rim
3. celery salt the rim
4. Add the ice, crushed is nice, but I went with cubes.
5. 1tsp horseradish (skipped it), 4 drops Worcestershire sauce, 4 drops hot sauce (tabasco) over the ice.
6. one shot Vodak
7.Salt and pepper
8. Tomato juice
9. Blue Cheese filled olive. I bought these on a whim, and they sunk like a stone. I don't really get it, they taste much the same as any canned green olive, just slimier. I guess there's more calories in there.
10. consume

I've always used V8 for my bloody mary's, and I've never quite liked them. From now on I'll use straight tomato juice, but I'll probably skip using the diced ones. :P

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #410 on: October 04, 2022, 06:38:44 PM »
Tomato juice is one of my preferred beverages when I fly.  It goes well with nuts, pretzels and any other tiny snack the airlines deign to feed you.  It's also more filling than seltzer and helps prevent dehydration as it has a reasonable amount of salt.

I don't know about mixing it with alcohol.  Maybe it's due to my misspent youth, but I soon learned to avoid cocktails that might be more acid if the worst case scenario occurred.  So orange juice and other mixers were passed over in preference for things like tonic and seltzer.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #411 on: October 05, 2022, 01:40:34 AM »
They didn't bother serving anything to coach today.
Mom had a hell of a time.
I just brought the chopped cheese mix back to life in the skillet, and steamed the cheese on.
Mom liked it.

I tried it without the mayo or ketchup, instead using a garlic aoli. I liked it better that way, but once again, that's inauthentic.

It was national Taco day, and they pretty much share ingredients like I said. The difference being a hot dog bun instead of a tortilla, and if you put mayo on a taco, you better have a good reason.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #412 on: October 05, 2022, 09:58:51 PM »
Frozen Jack's pizza. It's not bad.

To fix it up I pulled off all the pep (mom doesn't eat pork) and re-cheesed it with bag cheese (5 cheese blend) and sweet banana pepper rings.

I'm always complaining about how small slices of frozen pizza are, but decided to lean into it for once, cut the slices super thin so they were 2 bites.

One thing I like about this really thin slicing is that I was able to try a variety of sauces on it to see what worked and what didn't. Tabasco bbq sauce worked good, but I know a lot of people think bbq sauce doesn't belong anywhere near a pizza.

That blue top creamy lime jalepeno sauce made for an amazing slice, but mom hated it.

One other tweak I liked was slicing the pepperoni in half. Since I'd pulled it all and tossed it in a container, slicing it was easy.

Red pepper flakes were something I remember she used to really like, but never buys, and it's cheap as poo, so I grabbed some.
She was really happy, I felt very dumb for not buying it sooner.

Speaking of which, she was visiting her old college roommate on the east coast, and apparently, she used to make tacos all the time. Mom has no recollection of this, and she never made tacos when I was growing up. She attributes this to copious use of weed.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #413 on: October 06, 2022, 10:36:05 AM »
I love a good pizza, but I rarely eat frozen ones.  Can't afford the calories, or, to be honest, I have to weigh the consumption of pizza on a scale of deliciousness vs caloric intake.  I messed up my knee over a month ago and it's really reduced my ability to exercise, which is pretty frustrating.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #414 on: October 07, 2022, 05:51:40 AM »
Pizza is so cheap over here, can get a frozen one for about £1. from Morrisons supermarket.
Personally i buy plain margarita an load it myself

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #415 on: October 11, 2022, 12:48:51 AM »
Mostly reruns, but tonight there was cake.

Had quite the time tracking down a can of whipped cream, and ended up giving up on the cheries entirely.

This weird shop austerity that has become the new normal is poo.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #416 on: October 15, 2022, 10:28:31 AM »
Drinking a cup of tea.  Will eat a scone soon.  They're almost gone so I'll have to bake some more.  I have a big bag of quince that I'll have to clean up and process soon.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #417 on: October 15, 2022, 04:23:24 PM »
Have you got a runcible spoon?

I do.

Around these parts, the coarser among us refer to them as "sporks."

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #418 on: October 19, 2022, 02:22:16 AM »
I'm reading old racist food copy because I'm bored.

Chinese frozen dinners used the unappetizing name of "Chun King"
Their Chop Suey is more like Blow Chunks.

A presumably midwest publication referred to salsa as "Tomato and pepper relish"
Their faux "authentic" presentation of Enchiladas looks like the whitest blandest boiled meat.

I just keep making tacos, it's too easy. I've been trying to shove some veggies in there, right now it's pretty much onions or lettuce.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #419 on: October 19, 2022, 07:40:52 AM »
I'm reading old racist food copy because I'm bored.

Chinese frozen dinners used the unappetizing name of "Chun King"
Their Chop Suey is more like Blow Chunks.

A presumably midwest publication referred to salsa as "Tomato and pepper relish"
Their faux "authentic" presentation of Enchiladas looks like the whitest blandest boiled meat.

I just keep making tacos, it's too easy. I've been trying to shove some veggies in there, right now it's pretty much onions or lettuce.

Didnt UNCLE bens rice change its name due to the meaning of the name