Author Topic: What are you eating / What did you eat.  (Read 64640 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: What are you eating / What did you eat.
« Reply #435 on: October 31, 2022, 07:44:21 PM »
Who knew that microwavable popcorn packets would make such coveted treats for Trick or Treaters.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #436 on: November 01, 2022, 01:09:44 AM »
We did lights out headphone time because golly market rate for halloween candy. it's usary.

With the not really biscuits I ended up tearing them up and stirring them into a gravy, then plated it. It was okay.

Essentially a deconstructed not biscuits and gravy.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #437 on: November 01, 2022, 05:22:40 PM »
Sounds like dumplings of some sort.

I got many of the Halloween items at discounts or as free samples (Safeway/Albertsons/Vons) gives things away as Saturday Samplers -- that's where I got the popcorn.  We don't eat microwave popcorn but I've given it away in the past.  Some kids were so excited that they stood on our steps shouting about it in excitement.  It's pretty funny when such a small gift can elicit such overwhelming approval.

I am about to bake some chicken.  It's suddenly gotten cold, like the weather figured it's November so it had better get with the winter program.  So it rained a bit and then got cold.  By cold, I mean it's in the low 50's.  CA has turned me into a total weather wimp. 

Not as big a wimp as Bolsonaro, but there you have it.  If someone votes me out of office, I'll plan to do something fun instead of having a bug up my tush.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #438 on: November 01, 2022, 06:50:28 PM »
I'm staring at the frying pan.

I just... don't want to cook tonight. Probably microwave something. Got a bunch of ingredients that are nearing "use by" but I am not feeling it.

Ended up shoving vegetables in taco shells and hitting it with hot sauce. It was alright.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 10:25:29 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #439 on: November 02, 2022, 10:38:49 PM »
Chicken sandwiches.
Not all that impressive from a recipe standpoint, but an enjoyable dinner. Veggie medley on the side for accompaniment. Nothing exciting there, just a birds eye bag. Made it yesterday, shoved a bunch of it into tacos? That was a weird choice. Tasty, but weird.

I don't know if it's the season or if I need to go to the doctor but I'm feeling tired a lot around dinner time, makes cooking a bit of a drag.

I made a sauce, but I forgot what I put in it.

The store is now stocking egg nog for the season, but the lucerne one sucks this year. I hate when that happens.
Generally, what it means is the rest of the lucerne for the rest of the season will also suck.

It's like they dice roll the recipe. Either way adding rum made walking the dog easier.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #440 on: November 03, 2022, 10:33:09 AM »
I've never made egg nog but I know it has eggs, milk and cream along w/sweeteners and other flavorings (nutmeg? cinnamon).  I think you have to do something to pasteurize the mix with the raw egg.  Then it has to be cooled again.  Good egg nog usually has bourbon or rum added.  It's a great holiday party drink.  I was wondering why egg nog is "nog" and found this:
Nog is the unfamiliar part of eggnog, so qualifying nog with "egg", making eggnog a type of nog, doesn't exactly clear up matters. Nog was a type of strong ale that was mixed with eggs to make the festive drink. These days, there are still eggs in eggnog along with milk, cream and spices like nutmeg.

I doubt I'd bother with Lucerne egg nog.  Safeway's dairy prices are higher than Trader Joes' and I think I'd be more likely to trust TJ's egg nog, but maybe there's not one close to you?  I regularly trek to TJs to get dairy products because SW is too much even though it's closer. 

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #441 on: November 03, 2022, 06:57:31 PM »
Nog means only one thing to Englishmen of a certain age:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noggin_the_Nog

Interesting.  I'd never heard of him.  In the U.S., "noggin" refers to one's head.  Like, "he got hit on the noggin."  I also see that Nickelodeon network (via Nick Jr.) has appropriated the name for its "learning app."

We are heating up chicken thighs that were baked a couple days ago along with some steamed long beans that I grew from some mystery plants the garden center was giving away.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 06:59:22 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #442 on: November 04, 2022, 10:42:00 AM »
Cream scones just out of the oven with some recent jam.  The figs are in season and there are lots of them.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #443 on: November 04, 2022, 08:00:31 PM »
I did the dirty water dogs again, this time using the red wine vinegar the recipe called for.

Not sure why I did, these are jalepeno sausages and the roof of my mouth is on fire. I infused it with more spice? I am a dumb.

I feel like that treehouse of horror segment when homer poured milk into cereal, and it burst into flames.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #444 on: November 04, 2022, 08:22:25 PM »
Ha!  I watched a Jamie Oliver video today and naively thought I'd make some focaccia that wouldn't suck.  It looked ok but tasted terrible.  It was so bad I threw it into the compost.

So much for adventures in baking.  I think I'll try a different recipe next time.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #445 on: November 04, 2022, 09:28:27 PM »
I do find it a bit ironic that you found a Jamie Oliver recipe pretty and useless. I know many cooking personalities don't much care for him.

When I was mixing up my sandwich sauce I got a complaint about pepper smell. Considering I was mixing in sriracha, the complaint was valid :P

Still don't have the sandwich sauce locked. I thought it was ranch and sriracha, but that tastes bad.

What's worse is I can't find a clone sauce, both Google and Bing show me results for what they THINK I want, instead of what I actually want.

I know how to make "spread" aka "burger sauce". That isn't what I'm trying to make.

The official ingredients don't help much either, it's mostly soybean oil and "spices".

For reference, I'm trying to replicate Jack in the box's "good good" sauce.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #446 on: November 09, 2022, 09:53:08 AM »
Here's a big surprise:
tea and a scone.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #447 on: November 09, 2022, 11:46:45 PM »
Hey, if it works it works!

I was going to do garlic bread tonight but the rolls had molded. I have bad luck with any of the soft rolls from any market down here.

Our kitchen also doesn't have any windows, so I think it's the sink moisture getting in. I've tried putting the bread on the opposing wall, but mom doesn't like that.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #448 on: November 10, 2022, 05:05:12 PM »
Maybe refrigerate or freeze it until you are ready to use it?

We are having leftover Thai food (I'd call it from a takeaway but it was dropped off by Doordash).

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #449 on: November 11, 2022, 10:02:47 AM »
Tea, scone.

I couldn't sleep so I stayed up reading.