Author Topic: What are you eating / What did you eat.  (Read 62261 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: What are you eating / What did you eat.
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2019, 02:15:04 AM »
We had a salad, combined with some table water crackers and amazing cheese:  Brillat Savarin, some aged goat and some very good sheep cheese.  There must be something really primal about those fatty molecules with cheese, butter, icecream etc. that activate those pleasure centers.

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2019, 05:32:12 PM »
Pork shoulders were on sale today. Guess what I got in the slow cooker? With potatoes, carrots, onions, and fresh green beans. Stopped by the bakery and bought some whole wheat bread dough. There will be enough for all. Stop on by.

I'm at MedCheck. I dropped a chef's knife on my foot. LMAO! Good Lord...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 08:00:42 PM by Schmoogsley »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2019, 12:03:41 PM »
Works pizza, make me one with everything - but no weird poo like fish or carrots.

I wanted ham and Pineapple, but at the same time not, so mom got "the works" And it is just completely fantastic. I've had onion on pizza before, and liked it, but the mixes of flavor on this pizza were fantastic.

And even with Jalepenos I'm not dying of heartburn the next day. It's nice to just be happy for once, without a "but..."

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2019, 12:58:20 PM »
Guilty pleasure for this 19th week of 2019: PB&J sarnie. OMG did I enjoy that. I knew this girl (God, almost 30 years ago) who, still to this day, made the best (blueberry) jam I have ever had. You know, I bet I could make jam. I really should look into it.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2019, 01:24:16 PM »
All you need is fruit, lemon juice and sugar.  Plus patience.  Put it over medium heat and stir.  The thicker it gets the more you have to be vigilant about stirring.  You should also use a heavy pan for this.

Put a saucer in the freezer.  When the mix seems pretty thick, after about 1/2 hour, spoon a little on the plate and put back in the freezer for 5  min.  Push it with your finger.  If it wrinkles, it's done.  You can freeze it, can it or put it in the fridge and eat it.  It's unlikely to go bad soon.  Blueberry jam can be great as long as you start with good tasting fruit.

Last batch I made, did this:
9 c. scant blueberries
1 c lemon juice
3.25 c sugar
You can cut this in half if you want.  I started with 5 pints.  Get 3, eat half of one and halve the other ingredients and you are in business.  The less you have the shorter the cooking time.

That wasn't hard, was it?

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2019, 01:57:48 PM »
I forgot your background. Duh. I could even take it to the next level and get a large pressure cooker, jars and labels. 'Schmoogsley's Blueberry Preserves' (try saying 3 times rapidly). Ooooo, would make excellent holiday gifts. Hmmm.

*fruit is VERY hit or miss around here.  :o
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 02:07:55 PM by Schmoogsley »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2019, 02:25:37 PM »
Nonsense.  I lived in S. IL for a year and picked gorgeous blueberries at a Pick your own farm.  I know you are still recovering, but it's an agreeable pastime that is not very demanding and the blueberry bushes don't have thorns.  You can find a list of farms local to you.  Take the family.  It's really fun.  You get to see little kids with faces stained with berry juice.

And you don't need a pressure cooker to can preserves.  They have high acidity so water bath canning is fine and not particularly demanding.  There's links on the Pick your own site and if you want to be especially safe.  This is a good primer freely available online, too.
https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_usda.html  The one for jams/jellies is here:  https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/usda/GUIDE07_HomeCan_rev0715.pdf

The recipes in the USDA often call for pectin, which is generally unnecessary and they like to throw lots more sugar at the recipes than is necessary.

https://www.pickyourown.org/IN.htm
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 02:29:12 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2019, 02:30:03 PM »
Thanks Six. I will look into this for sure.  :D

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2019, 04:02:44 PM »
I'm marinating chicken thighs to barbeque later today.  Here's the basics of most of my dinner.

Here's the marinade:
2 jalapenos, 6 cloves garlic (skin on), 2 T oil, 1/4 c. lime juice, hefty pinch of salt.  Borrowed from Rick Bayless.

Take the jalapenos and garlic and blacken them.  That means, put them in a skillet (preferably cast iron or something that won't require you scrub the bejesus out of it afterwards) and char those suckers over med/high to high heat.  On all sides.
Next, remove skins and stem ends of garlic/jalapenos and if you like it hot, leave the seeds in the jalapenos or otherwise gut them.  Throw everything into the food processor and liquidate it.  Coat the chicken and let it rest for at least an hour before you cook it.  Hooray!

I'm also having potatoes, roasted w/fresh rosemary (dried works too).  I am rescuing some wrinkled sprouted potatoes.  I cut off anything icky looking and dump the whole potatoes in a big bowl of water.  This will allow the shriveled guys to enjoy the potato equivalent of a fountain of youth.  The potatoes will get firm and nice again.  It's a potato miracle.  Praise Jesus!  Wait a couple hours and when firm, cut into c. 1 inch cubes.  Make sure they're pretty dry or the next step won't be as effective.

Take a plastic bag, or if you don't mind washing yet another bowl, throw them in and toss with a couple generous tablespoons of olive oil until they're coated.  Reg. oil will probably work, but hey, use olive oil if you have it because it tastes better.  If you have some parchment paper, line a big cookie sheet with it (because who wants to wash dishes if they don't have to) and distribute the potato chunks.  Salt & pepper them and then distribute rosemary leaves over the sheet of potatoes.  Roast in a 400-450 degree oven, remember to check them after about 10-15 minutes.  When they begin to brown, toss them, or whatever to turn them over so they're evenly cooked. 

There's 2/3 of a reasonable dinner.  Meat & potatoes.  The rest is up to you.  I'll report back later after we've eaten.

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2019, 04:06:35 PM »
Sounds yummy. I'm gonna toss some brussel sprouts in some olive oil w/salt and pepper, then, bake in the oven. Is very yummy.

*Changed my mind. It's too hot to run the oven.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 04:13:59 PM by Schmoogsley »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2019, 08:09:56 PM »
Roasting them makes them really good.  A little balsamic vinegar is a nice added touch, as is throwing in some garlic.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2019, 09:49:54 PM »
I was lazy, so I let Mr. food processor dice the onions, then I steamed sausage with onion in.

It was pretty good, I've got a nice brown mustard that kicked things up a bit.

Evergood pineapple sausage. Pretty good, but you only get four.

I will say, they are a very juicy, flavor filled sausage. I probably could have skipped the onion and mustard and still would have enjoyed it. Also would be a nice pairing with a light tomato sauce and thin noodles, if you wanted to carb out.

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2019, 12:22:15 AM »
I pass by the 'foo foo' sausage section at Meijer's all the time. I sometimes stop and have a look, but, get confused and proceed on my way. Next time I am there, I will grow some balls and purchase a selection or two. I just checked, they don't sell that brand (Evergood) here. They have a very large selection, however. Of flavors that is, not sure of the brands. If I remember correctly, the prices are quite steep. But, I remember incorrectly quite often.

*I don't use my food processor much. I don't like cleaning it. Those blades are hella sharp and I am afraid of them.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 12:26:57 AM by Schmoogsley »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2019, 12:38:38 AM »
eh, aidells are poo. With that smug chef golly on the label, he's celebrating taking your money. You do get more than the evergood though, by one friggin' sausage.

I'm no sophisticate, give me Johnsonville anyday. I also like the cheese filled ones, but can't for the life of me remember the brand. aidells cheese filled were guh. yeah, not even swearworthy, just "guh".

A lot of the so called fancy ones aren't worth the packaging.

Mine is a Ninja. The blender is long gone, but the processor keeps chopping. I've seen video of one taking a finger off, so I'm very careful.

These ones were pretty cheap at the grocery outlet, but one time they wanted $10 for basic ass 8 pack ballpark hotdogs, so go figure.

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2019, 12:58:29 AM »
Well, I had a longtime addiction to Johnsonville Brats. We used to have a local grocery chain here that went out of business, but, OMG, they had the best inhouse brats. Actually, that's why people would stop by there, for their meats. Their prices on most everything else were hideous. I distinctly remember once a can of salmon for $14.00. Not kidding. Also, the owner of the chain was a notorious drunkard. lol And, his kids hated him as I remember. Anyway, yeah, when I read those specialty sausage labels, I say, "WTF?". - 'Chicken & lamb sausage with pumpkin, cauliflower & blue cheese'. What? Hmmmmm. Like I said, scares me away. Just because you can stuff anything you want into an entrail, doesn't mean you should. But, I also know, you shouldn't knock it till you've tried it.