Author Topic: What are you eating / What did you eat.  (Read 64876 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: What are you eating / What did you eat.
« Reply #540 on: May 08, 2023, 10:06:50 PM »
I dug out an old recipe for Coronation Chicken but as my husband doesn't much like mayonnaise, it was a no go.  He'd be more amenable to quiche.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #541 on: May 09, 2023, 06:15:41 AM »
not a fan myself to be honest

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #542 on: May 09, 2023, 09:13:46 AM »
Earl Grey tea.  Waiting for the blueberry muffin to finish heating.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #543 on: May 13, 2023, 08:35:07 PM »
3 Cheese cauliflower crust pizza.  Not bad.  They grind up cauliflower and mix it w/rice flour.  A little brittle, but it tastes decent and takes  8 minutes to bake.  Great for those days when you just don't feel like cooking but don't feel like getting take away.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #544 on: May 15, 2023, 08:58:18 AM »
Guess?  tea and soon, cream scone with jam.  Not very newsworthy.
Have a good day.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #545 on: May 16, 2023, 05:17:04 PM »
Doing hot dogs tonight. Wanted to use sriracha but Huy Fong continues to be elusive. (They tried to drive their pepper supplier into bankruptcy and then pick the company up. Problem is, the supplier found out.)

I bought the Tabasco one, which was somewhat stupid. It tastes good, but the base is unsurprisingly... tabasco sauce. A very different taste.

At least it's not like my worcestershire sauce fumble where I bought frenches and was utterly disgusted.

Also managed to pick up some malt vinegar. My area has been in a balsamic craze, and it's not even balsamic! They're buying red wine vinegar adultrated with must!
The balsamic craze continues, there were at least six varieties. With the malt it was pub or Heinz. I went with pub.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #546 on: May 16, 2023, 08:10:51 PM »
So I was wrong.

A while back Little Caesars did a promotion where they used a pretzel crust. My mom would go on and on about it, but never ordered it. When she finally got around to it, they had discontinued the promotion.

It came around again, and she hemmed and hawed.

I got word from a friend that they were discontinuing it again, so I told her (about a week ago)

Tonight we had the pretzel crust pizza. My review? Don't.

It's like a salt lick

She liked it though, and that's what's important.

She did not like Ford vs. Ferrari. No clue why I suggested that.

She's very much enjoying Cocaine Bear, but the chromecast keeps dying.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 11:40:17 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #547 on: May 17, 2023, 08:48:00 PM »
We have been tired from doing other stuff lately so last night I got carryout fried chicken.  Safeway grocery deli.  It was what you'd expect.

Tonight, jarred pasta sauce over linguine.  A local company:  Mezzetta, tomato basil sauce.

Sometimes you just don't have the time or inclination to cook.

8ully, I've never gotten the whole pretzel dough for pizza, burger buns, etc. but some people just love it.  Wendy's had a Boys 2 Men video about bringing back their pretzel burger.  My menu at Wendys is limited to baked potato and salad, so I wouldn't know.  I have yet to view Cocaine Bear, but it's a favorite of late night comedians, at least it was before the writers went on strike.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #548 on: May 19, 2023, 09:20:34 AM »
Freshly baked blueberry muffins.  OMG.  Recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction.  They're really good.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #549 on: May 30, 2023, 07:12:36 PM »
Again with the Safeway deli chicken.  This batch was worse than the last one.  We call it "shitty fried chicken."  By the time you peel away the greasy crusted skin and remove the bones, there's very little meat left.  It's one of those foods that you should know better than to buy, but you keep getting it anyway.  Some day maybe I'll learn to leave it alone.

We had a couple pieces as an "appetizer" (not really a good name for it, since it was actually the opposite of appetizing).  Main dish will be steamed vegetables.  Thank god they aren't deep fried.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #550 on: May 31, 2023, 08:35:59 AM »
I've been shopping in Lidl lately and they have shedloads of pastries at about half the price of other supermarkets. I know I have high cholesterol and should be eating nothing but low fat dust, but I can't help it.

Pain au raisin and a coffee.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #551 on: May 31, 2023, 09:11:21 AM »
Ha!  I was reminded of the Lidl video.  When in St. Martin, I regularly went to SuperU for their wonderful store baked croissants and mini pastries (pains aux raisin, pains aux chocolate).  Fortunately, the very good bakeries around here are too expensive for me to do that. 

I bake cream scones using heavy cream, which is apparently better for you than butter scones.  It's a small improvement, but I like them better.  (2c. flour, ⅓ c. sugar, ½ tsp salt, 1 T baking powder, 1 c. heavy cream).  I mix them up and let them rest for 20 min. then knead and roll out.  Perhaps that's heresy, but they are pretty tender and delicious with jams or marmalades.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #552 on: June 01, 2023, 11:10:38 AM »
I used to prep those chickens. You might want to try a different location, it sounds like they're selling birds that should have been pulled and rendered into chicken salad. I actually liked that because it meant the chicken didn't just go in the garbage. I never really cared for carcass chicken, but I very much enjoy chicken salad.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #553 on: June 02, 2023, 08:00:41 AM »
I used to prep those chickens. You might want to try a different location, it sounds like they're selling birds that should have been pulled and rendered into chicken salad. I actually liked that because it meant the chicken didn't just go in the garbage. I never really cared for carcass chicken, but I very much enjoy chicken salad.

I don't think they have the same turnover as the larger store, but I can walk to the dried out birds while I'd have to drive to get the ones that are more likely to be fresh.  Best to avoid them altogether since they're not really a healthy option to begin with.

This morning:  tea and cream scones.  There's no end to the excitement around here.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #554 on: June 09, 2023, 07:22:46 AM »
Alas too much cheese and meat on Holiday, need to get my blood checked  :o