Author Topic: What are you eating / What did you eat.  (Read 64872 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: What are you eating / What did you eat.
« Reply #555 on: June 17, 2023, 02:05:33 AM »
Pizza 2 nights in a row. This is mainly because it's the easiest thing to decide when falling out of the pub.

I really need a lifestyle change!
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #556 on: June 17, 2023, 02:18:45 AM »
Spent last night treating my parents to a meal  and a couple of drinks.
Was lovely tbh. Nothing is cheap though  :-\

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #557 on: June 17, 2023, 02:09:43 PM »
Had some wheat tortillas that were getting on in age, and some fresh chicken salad.
I dropped a little horseraddish on the tortilla, some carolina gold on the the chicken salad, and rolled it.
The chicken salad already had relish in it (made it last night) but I feel like the wrap could have used some diced tomato or some dried Chile, make it Hasparat!

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Hasperat

honestly, making a pepper relish sounds pretty good right now...

My regular chicken salad has onion in the recipe, but I took that out because I had really bad heartburn the last time I made enchiladas. (Was out of white, subbed in red, regretted it.)

The only other thing I've been making is a knockoff of fish and chips. I make plain french fries, popcorn chicken, and hit it with malt vinegar. It's delicious, but the malt vinegar smells pretty bad, so I have to do cleanup quick.

Sorry for not posting much lately, haven't been doing too well, but I always keep [PRIVACY ERROR] in my shortcut bar.

Another short one today, figured I'd edit instead of double posting.

I had some burgers that were cooked and fridgerated. That generally results in unpleasant leftovers, but I watched some youtube videos.

Essentially you take the burger out for three minutes to let it "thaw" from refrigeration, then use a spoon to seperate bun from burg.

Then you scoop off as much of whatever you put on the burger, add fresh cheese, and then bake at 12 minutes at 400f.

But what's the twist? Bannana pepper rings. I loaded up the bun with them, baked the burger, and then scooped them off to eat as a side. This made the burger spicy, but not crunchy, and the pepper rings made for a great snack.

I think that's a keeper.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 04:02:02 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #558 on: June 19, 2023, 07:54:08 PM »
We are having baked chicken thighs with fresh corn on the cob.  I've been away so not cooking much.  Still tired from my trip.

8ully, have you tried soaking raw onions in water for a short time and then draining before using?  It's supposed to result in a milder flavor and might be less hard on your stomach.  Sorry to hear about those troubles.  Hope you feel better.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #559 on: June 21, 2023, 12:56:16 PM »
Heartburn is occasionally the price you pay for taking chances.

I will say that the large toaster oven has seen a lot more action than the smaller one ever did.

I think it's like how watching movies on a larger screen makes things feel nicer, cooking things in an un-cramped oven helps take away some of the cooking stress.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #560 on: June 23, 2023, 10:04:59 AM »
Slightly burned panettone.  Forgot to set the timer and got busy with other stuff.  Oh well.  I guess the carbon will absorb toxins or some other health benefit?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #561 on: June 23, 2023, 11:34:26 PM »
Quite the opposite, really.

Yesterday I scorched some bratwurst, chopped it up and put it in mac and cheese.

I honestly can't say I "enjoy" hot dog mac and cheese, but it is comforting, in a weird way. I found a filipino bakery that does a suitable knockoff of the portal cake for $38, now I just need an occasion.

My mom was wondering why she didn't enjoy her burrito and I had a fun time explaining different hot sauces, and why Cholula didn't taste good on THAT burrito.

I'm not sure she got it, but it was fun to talk about. Specifically, if you've got anything in your burrito that doesn't get along with garlic, it's best to use a different, garlic minus sauce.

Tonight, I had more of the mac and cheese and put in some habanero sauce. (The mac was lacking, and I'm out of charred sausage to toss in.)

I honestly wish the flavor of habenero could be divorced from the heat, but that's not really an option. I've had this lament before with different types of spicy.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #562 on: June 24, 2023, 09:13:05 AM »
Raspberry buttermilk muffin.  Not bad.  Probably could tweak the recipe a bit since it was adapted from a cake recipe.  Tea.

My grandmother used to make mac n cheese with tomatoes and velveeta.  I'm no longer a fan of velveeta, but I always enjoyed it when she served it.  She was a good cook.  I expect the hot dogs added a nice sweet/salty note to the rich starchy goodness of the mac n cheese.

I like burritos but haven't had one in a long time.  I generally like salsa verde heaped onto it in intervals.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #563 on: June 24, 2023, 04:53:30 PM »
They definitely bent with Velveeta.

Tonight I was feeling rough, so I just chopped up a large bread roll into rounds and put oil and vinegar on.

Mom spit hers out, she was eating in the dark and thought it was peanut butter and jelly!

Talk about subverting expectations.

She's been told to cut back on cheese, which has been my primary ingredient for just about forever.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 01:03:31 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #564 on: July 01, 2023, 06:19:56 AM »
On facebook, Taco bell has repeatedly harassed me with a tiktok ad where they make their chile verde fries.

To spare you the video, it's an employee assembling the dish while rapping like a nerd.

"Fries, Fries, Steak, Cheese sauce, Cheese sauce, green sauce, strip thingy's, cheese, and reduced fat sour cream"

Well, I decided to cut it down to fries, green sauce, sour cream, and added cholula.

Mom swapped the cholula for ketchup, but I can't vouch for her. She said it was good.

It was good. The green sauce was herdez guacamole salsa.

I've been trying to cut back. I look back at some of the mashed together things I've posted and shudder at the sheer sodium levels some of those things must have hit.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #565 on: July 01, 2023, 07:22:03 PM »
They could install a salt lick in my kitchen and I'd be happy, but I tend to have low normal blood pressure.  Maybe lemon juice might work to give things a kick without adding salt?

I like my fries simple.  Maybe a little ketchup or A-1 sauce for dipping.  They have to be crisp and thin.

Strangely, I love to load up baked potatoes with butter and sour cream, so go figure.  It's basically the same vegetable.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #566 on: July 02, 2023, 03:15:55 PM »
I did a spaghetti puttanesca this evening  but swapped out the anchovies for mackerel. It worked pretty well and mackerel is also quite strong so it held up to near what it should have been.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #567 on: July 03, 2023, 03:56:28 AM »
I am also a sucker for shoestring, six.

I was going to do burritos, but cheese has had the unsettling trend of molding in my fridge lately, well before EXP.

So I'm doing elimination cooking, essentially playing tetris with the refigerator. My goal is to clear each shelf, and then give it a solid scrubbing. If that means I have to live off cans and sandwiches, I will live off cans and sandwiches.

Tonight was turkey sandwiches, nothing special.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #568 on: July 04, 2023, 07:03:04 AM »
I did a spaghetti puttanesca this evening  but swapped out the anchovies for mackerel. It worked pretty well and mackerel is also quite strong so it held up to near what it should have been.

sound nice

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #569 on: July 04, 2023, 10:06:05 AM »
It's one of my favorite pasta sauces.  My husband isn't a fan so I rarely make it.  Anchovies die of loneliness in my fridge.
Right now:  cream scones with jam and tea.  Good morning.