Author Topic: Latest Movie You Watched  (Read 420977 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: Latest Movie You Watched
« Reply #2985 on: April 02, 2021, 08:37:09 AM »
One can almost imagine Godzilla's innermost thoughts as he stomps around, occasionally voicing his typical cry.  "What is the meaning of life?  And must our species always be at odds with the others?" 

The Japanese film Godzilla is much more contemplative.  Maybe it's because it takes time to negotiate this mountainous landscape in a rubber suit.  I love the little balsa wood house models that Kong steps on, and appreciate the cumbersome way the actor inside has to slide or roll down hills, with an ensuing little dust cloud following him.

And the guys in the helicopter with their miniature film camera, recording the action, remarking "amazing. Amazing."  This is 1962, too early for small hand held video cameras.  Sony doesn't come out with its first hand-held camera until 1965.  https://www.rewindmuseum.com/vintagecamera.htm

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #2986 on: April 02, 2021, 09:53:10 AM »
Am I the only person in the world who has no interest in Godzilla type disaster movies and find them a complete waste of time? I have a feeling I am.
--dweez

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2987 on: April 02, 2021, 11:51:43 AM »
Am I the only person in the world who has no interest in Godzilla type disaster movies and find them a complete waste of time? I have a feeling I am.

Given there are 7.9 billion people on the planet, finding an answer to your question might take some time.  But I have a feeling you are not alone.

My affection for Godzilla came about because when I was a child there was a regular 4 o'clock movie on a local tv station that played after I got out of school and I'd often watch whatever was on.  There were lots of 1950's science fiction films and horror movies, like Vincent Price in "House on Haunted Hill," the Godzilla series, and various other titles, "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein," etc.  The Godzilla films, and most of the other bomb anxiety related sci-fi ("Them" for example, featuring giant irradiated ants that consumed livestock and people), have a nostalgic appeal to me.  Of course this is not great cinema, but it's amusing, if only for its kitsch value. 

The various remakes, including the trailer that goldie posted, throw tons of money and special effects at the same basic plot but most likely lose something in the process.  It's unlikely that I'd go see that film.  I did see the Matthew Broderick Godzilla, and found it sort of lacking.  This Godzillla vs Kong remake sounds like it's probably even worse.  I generally don't enjoy disaster movies, so maybe you have more company than you think.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #2988 on: April 02, 2021, 11:57:04 AM »

Oddly, I have the constant underlying feeling of "what's the point of all this" when watching Godzilla movies (Western ones) but, never quite knowing why, enjoy them anyhow .
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2989 on: April 03, 2021, 01:21:41 AM »
I like Godzilla wrecking poo. I dislike the "Even footing" thing they are doing by giving the monkey a magic axe to beat the nuclear blast.

It's like all the cowpoo nerd slap fights, like Star Wars VS Trek. Yeah, Star Wars takes it by the numbers because the numbers are batshit insane. And if you have to nerf one side to make a fight interesting, it's not all that interesting.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #2990 on: April 03, 2021, 05:45:16 AM »
Ok, ignoring all the bad reviews Chaos Walking got we watched it on the strength of one review that sadi they didn't really understand the bad press and enjoyed it enough to watch it again.

All four of us laughed a lot and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2991 on: April 08, 2021, 01:12:31 AM »
The Recruit

Al Pacino, Collin Farrell.

Collin Farrell is at his Collin Farrell-nest, jumping at punching bags, doing weird little gestures.

I saw this movie years ago, my Uncle rented it and my Grandma talked through the whole thing.

It's bleak. It's a bleak mess, and I kind of love it. There are no clear answers in this movie. They do avoid the "It was all a dream" solution, but at the end of the movie, the Protagonist has been taken for a ride, and it may just be another rung on the ladder.

I was pleasantly surprised.

During it's heyday, the movie was considered a schlocky mess, and yeah, maybe it is, but they go to some dark places.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't try to turn this one into a franchise like Bourne, but it got an extremely lukewarm reception at the time.

It's definitely worth the time spent watching. I was going to downsize this DVD out of the collection, but now I think I'll hold on to it.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2992 on: April 09, 2021, 12:20:13 AM »
Personal Services, Julie Walters and various well-known British Actors, Actresses,
Old but still good

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2993 on: April 26, 2021, 05:05:38 AM »
Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

I found the entire movie unpleasant. Like when people say "It's a turn your brain off movie!" I can believe it with this one.

These two remorseless bottom contract killers meet while on a job. A later line in the film shows that He is in love, she considers him a beautiful mark.

And it only gets worse from there.

Mr. Smith seems to work for the more brute force, get the job done by whatever means necessary type agency, while Mrs. Smith comes from Ladies home murder society.

Oddly enough, the bosses are gender flipped. Mr. Smith takes his contracts from disembodied Angela Basset, and Mrs. Smith takes her orders from Mr. Disembodied Keith damn' David. (I've read originally they were going to track down and kill the bosses, but that plot was dropped)

Needless to say, they both try to take out the other assassin on the job, and both fail, hilariously setting a contract on both of their heads! Whoopsie!

I actually kind of liked Pitt's cartoonish plan for the kill, even though he fumble naffs it up. He dune buggies out and intends to explode his target with a comical rocket launcher. ACME hits.

Jolie planned to use laser trip wires to trigger planted explosives.

(Why the target was being transported out of New York through some sort of desert and then back to New York remains unexplained)

So they have a miserable marriage, and now they're supposed to kill each other. Brad does some honestly disturbing domestic stuff (Shoving Jolie into a glass wall, but she shakes the injury off)

He trips on a picket fence, and hilariously almost blows his wife's head off. Because a professional hitman didn't know to keep his finger off the trigger while running. Of course, he wants to talk about this.

She instead gets mad and hits him with a car, launching him inconsequently into the woods.

Since neither of them finished the job, assasins are dispatched and blow up their home. They steal a neighbors minivan and discover not only was their entire relationship a lie, Neither gave enough of a poo to actually figure that out! Hilarious!

They drive to a home depot expy designed by millionaires for millionaires, and at one point bunker up in a shed walled with concrete for some reason. They both say that they never missed a moment of sleep during their contract killing lives, and compare "body counts".

The assasins are neither of their shitty friends, and are nameless faceless mooks. The stakes are nonexistent. At one point, Mrs. Smith stabs Mr. Smith in the thigh with a knife, but they mutually just kind of shrug that off.

Apparently this movie had over 40 endings plan, but instead it's just a marriage counselling session where Mr. Smith implies he is very happy with the new amount of sex he is getting.

Apparently what their relationship was missing was mutual combat. Hopefully they'll kill each other before they breed. (One of the endings had an assassin baby)

It's like someone watched True Lies and missed the point. golly, I should have wrote that instead of this stupid essay.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2994 on: April 26, 2021, 10:22:08 AM »
Stick to "Long Kiss Goodnight", 8ully.
Quality

Palmer

Was Ok, good acting by the child

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2995 on: April 26, 2021, 09:40:22 PM »
Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

I found the entire movie unpleasant. Like when people say "It's a turn your brain off movie!" I can believe it with this one.

And it only gets worse from there.
...golly, I should have wrote that instead of this stupid essay.

Thanks, 8ully, for the entertaining review.  Now I can feel good about never having seen it and never planning to see it.  I've watched some real dreck in search of entertainment.  It's gratifying to realize that I'm not alone.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2996 on: April 26, 2021, 10:37:11 PM »
sadly next up on the movie stack is Ocean's Twelve, which ironically, delayed the filming of Mr. and Mrs. poo.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2997 on: April 30, 2021, 11:48:31 PM »
Recorded Escape from New York and watched last night. Wow of that era me thinks

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2998 on: May 04, 2021, 12:27:12 AM »
The Marksman, nothing new and I though mew

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2999 on: May 04, 2021, 03:35:14 PM »
Hey.  I actually watched a whole movie the other night:
The Creepy Line.  It's a documentary that describes how Google and Facebook use algorithms to determine the results of our searches and some of the problematic aspects of their filtering and other manipulations.  It was thought-provoking and made me want to stop using Chrome.  I'm glad I don't use gmail for much, also.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 03:39:52 PM by 6pairsofshoes »