Author Topic: Local News  (Read 82475 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Local News
« on: March 13, 2015, 11:47:37 AM »
I thought I'd start a thread featuring the local news of our members.  I don't think we're busy enough  to have individual thread for each item - so this topic can just roll on when you have a newsworthy item.

Right at this moment the streets around my house stink of ash.  An hour ago you could hardly breath outside due to the marvellous Battersea Arts Centre being ablaze.  It's about half a mile from my house and the people all around the area are all close to tears as this place was in the hearts of all that grew up around here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-31879724

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battersea_Arts_Centre
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
Re: Local News
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 03:11:20 PM »
Right at this moment the streets around my house stink of ash.  An hour ago you could hardly breath outside due to the marvellous Battersea Arts Centre being ablaze.  It's about half a mile from my house and the people all around the area are all close to tears as this place was in the hearts of all that grew up around here.

Such a pity! It must be despairing to see something you cherished being destroyed by the fire. At least they say people weren't hurt.
Fire can be such a devastating force. Actually this is currently happening in my country:

http://www.cctv-america.com/2015/03/06/patagonia-forest-fires-may-be-worst-in-argentinas-history

So far 34.000 ha (about 84.000 acres) of ancient forests have been destroyed and the fire threatens Parque Nacional Los Alerces

They say it was started intentionally. Sadly I suspect the fight is ineffective and even indolent.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 03:45:05 PM »

Fire can be such a devastating force. Actually this is currently happening in my country:

http://www.cctv-america.com/2015/03/06/patagonia-forest-fires-may-be-worst-in-argentinas-history

So far 34.000 ha (about 84.000 acres) of ancient forests have been destroyed and the fire threatens Parque Nacional Los Alerces

They say it was started intentionally. Sadly I suspect the fight is ineffective and even indolent.

Restricting the sale of fire stricken land for 10 years seems a sensible move if real-estate speculation is the motive for those fires.  Personally, if that were ever proved I'd expect much stronger action.  Maybe even reintroducing the fire to the property agents that started it?..

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 05:31:14 PM »
Maybe even reintroducing the fire to the property agents that started it?..

Oh, I get it. With a torch in their... Never mind.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 03:11:23 PM »
I went to the BAC yesterday for a drink (they have a bar) and I was surprised just how "business as usual" it was.  The grand hall at the back is of course completely burnt out, but they've cleaned up the front half of the building and are putting shows on as best they can.

The beer was great too.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 02:57:38 AM »
That looks like a spectacular building.  How sad that the great hall was destroyed as it looks like it was pretty lovely from the Wikipedia photos.  The Glasgow Institute of Fine Arts was recently devastated also, with the beautiful library by CR Mackintosh pretty much destroyed.  I expect they'll salvage what they can and restore/rebuild what has been damaged beyond that.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 11:43:54 AM »
That looks like a spectacular building.  How sad that the great hall was destroyed as it looks like it was pretty lovely from the Wikipedia photos.  The Glasgow Institute of Fine Arts was recently devastated also, with the beautiful library by CR Mackintosh pretty much destroyed.  I expect they'll salvage what they can and restore/rebuild what has been damaged beyond that.

I think you'd love the BAC for more reasons than just its structural beauty.

You feel right at home there regardless of what you wear, what age you are, what kind of music you listen to and so on. It reminds me of the old Camden town before its commercial success ruined the vibe and turned it into a tourist meat market.

There are very few places like this left in London, or the U.K for that matter. I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot more time there since its near demise.

Perhaps there is a silver lining to the fire after all.

Offline drago6650

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 04:31:54 PM »
Gateshead wonderkid Leia Zhu, EIGHT, wins international contest with amazing violin performance

Musical whizz Leia Zhu propelled herself among the world’s best after becoming the youngest ever winner of an international competition.

The eight-year-old’s rapid rise to fame continued as she scooped first place in the Discovery of the Competition Grand Prix at the International Competition for Young Virtuosos.

Leia, of Whickham, Gateshead, beat 127 candidates in four age groups from over 20 countries around the world to win the contest in Bulgaria.

The Fellside Community Primary School pupil wowed the crowd with her performance of Wieniawski’s Second Violin Concerto to become the youngest winner in its history.

There are too many sad and horrific stories in the Newspapers, just thought this was a nice one from my village.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 01:32:19 PM by drago6650 »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 04:43:29 PM »

There are too many sad and horrific story's in the Newspapers, just thought this was a nice one from my village.

That's very true and it should also inspire my daughter to practise her piano more.  She says she's only 9 and shouldn't have to practise anything at that age. Especially while there's Minecraft, Loom bands and the School of Dragons to attend to.

Offline drago6650

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 04:55:58 PM »
It is one of my regrets that I never learned to play an instrument when i was younger, albeit i did attempt to play the violin at the age of 14, much to the horror of my parents who had to suffer the sound of a cat being slowly strangled..... ;D

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 05:21:21 PM »
I can play the piano a little and like my daughter I struggled to routinely practise.

It seems ridiculous now that I couldn't find 20 minutes a day to better myself. That story you posted puts me to shame.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 01:32:28 PM »
Tsk.

I see the coffee's a brewing today.

Offline drago6650

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 01:33:56 PM »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 04:38:51 PM »
Saw this link in another post. Sums up a part of where I live:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-39405318

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 02:45:49 AM »
Thanks for this.  It's a part of London I've never visited.  I've been to Battersea, but that's about it for S. London, except for the Design Museum and a stroll across Tower Bridge.