Author Topic: Local News  (Read 82423 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: Local News
« Reply #120 on: July 14, 2020, 07:24:16 AM »
Although I avoid CNN, I still get exposed to daily Trump bashing on FB, where a select few "friends" have feeds that are function as daily ventings of outrage.   We've all known he's terrible since before he even assumed office.  What's the point?

He thrives on publicity.  Remove that oxygen and he'll likely shrivel up.  And despite its claims to fairmindedness, the PBS News Hour also falls into the camp of making too great an effort to be "objective" by allowing both sides an equal voice.  Sometimes that helps.  In this case, when you have children in cages, separated from their parents due to cruel immigration policies, or people dying because of an ignoramus who believes in polls over science, there's no benefit to give both sides equal weight.  I really don't give a rat's patoot what the anti maskers think.  They should all be quarantined together until we figure out a way to insure public safety.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #121 on: July 14, 2020, 07:29:40 AM »
I want some Pizza. I want a Carne Asada. I want basic life back instead of living off grocery orders.

and yet I wear the stupid mask.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #122 on: July 14, 2020, 10:25:35 AM »
I got fed up with it when I realised that it was pointless, and maybe counter productive. When you are preaching to the choir you aren't helping, and for a non-believer looking in it just confirms your prejudice.

... but as noted above, the alternative is to try to be even-handed, where even-handedness is ridiculous.

My recommendation would be to stop reporting things that are done purely for the sake of publicity: treat all "celebrities" the same, and confine them to the programmes to which they apply, not the news.

... the problem with that is the "news" channels are 24 hours, and have to have something to fill their time. It may be that the "news" organisations - and their sponsors/ advertisers - are "value-free" they don't care if what they report hurts or helps, they are in it for the bums on seats, so the more scandal they can find/ whip up the better for the ratings. I think that the BBC is slightly less prone to this, but only slightly less. (with the notable exception of the Kuenssbergs/ Pestons of this world, who would be right at home on a US 24-hour "news" show)

I forgot to mention that I am also kinda keen on Erica Hill.

How shallow am I?..
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #123 on: July 14, 2020, 10:37:49 AM »
She's lovely.  I'd forgotten who she was and then found this video of her.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2017/11/22/erica-hill-reacts-charlie-rose-allegations-sot-ebof.cnn  BTW, not a day goes by that I want to madam slap Charlie Rose.  What a moron.  His show was just great and he screwed it up for all of us because he couldn't contain his own urges. 

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2020, 10:46:39 AM »
She's lovely.  I'd forgotten who she was and then found this video of her.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2017/11/22/erica-hill-reacts-charlie-rose-allegations-sot-ebof.cnn  BTW, not a day goes by that I want to madam slap Charlie Rose.  What a moron.  His show was just great and he screwed it up for all of us because he couldn't contain his own urges.

She really is quite lovely physically but she is also engaging in her delivery too.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2020, 05:19:04 AM »
So, yesterday, Smokes' junior, at the tender age of 17, passed his driving test at his first attempt. It also completed phase one of my plan to get free lifts home from the pub.

Congrats to both of us then.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2020, 08:41:33 AM »
So, yesterday, Smokes' junior, at the tender age of 17, passed his driving test at his first attempt. It also completed phase one of my plan to get free lifts home from the pub.
Congrats to both of us then.
good idea

In a quashquash?

... buy the boy a Jag!

Congrats.

Even better in London
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 10:59:05 AM by smokester »

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2020, 10:30:33 AM »
Congrats to your son, smokes! (and to you!) Now he can start earning his keep running errands and such (we'll just fail to bring up all the free tech support he provides).
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #128 on: July 23, 2020, 11:04:43 AM »
In a quashquash?

... buy the boy a Jag!

Congrats.

Yeah, we both saw this suggestion coming but we were thinking more F-Pace which prolly doesn't sit that well with you.

Congrats to your son, smokes! (and to you!) Now he can start earning his keep running errands and such (we'll just fail to bring up all the free tech support he provides).

By all accounts he'll be in Manchester in September (not guaranteed) so I may well give him the quashquash. That is if I can get insurance for him that isn't 5 figures.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #129 on: July 23, 2020, 09:34:46 PM »
He seems very capable and I'm not surprised to hear he passed, but you must still be proud.  It's frustrating to have his college plans derailed by this pandemic.  Are they having any on campus instruction in the fall?

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #130 on: July 24, 2020, 03:42:49 PM »
He seems very capable and I'm not surprised to hear he passed, but you must still be proud.  It's frustrating to have his college plans derailed by this pandemic.  Are they having any on campus instruction in the fall?

Halls are pretty much as they should be by way of cost etc, but there is this proposed system of small study groups that would have to also sort of share. Not that clear how it will all play out and I wouldn't be averse to him re-doing the year and sitting all his exams as normal. However, it he gets given top marks it could be folly to take the chance on trying to replicate those in real life.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #131 on: August 14, 2020, 11:35:19 PM »
Had to find and buy daughter a new motor last night or I should say she found the car.
First year of driving and she somehow rolled hers into a countryside ditch last sunday, was so deep that the police went passed her twice and dint notice the car.
She managed to climb out through the passenger window (as facing upwards) and scramble trough the brambles and thorn bushed, her legs are a mess.
Thankfully some kind women droves and stopped for her when the police turned up and then a ambulance by chance.
Not a phone call you want at 8pm sunday night after a few shandies.
Luckily her back is stiff and neck and the cuts is only thing wrong. Recovery chap said she was lucky to be alive as the car entering the ditch caused a dam stopping water escaping and if she was unconscious and no knew she was there then end of story, he produced a photo of another recovery where a similar accident causing the death of a person he attended as car on roof and no one knew lad was in it and drowned
As she drives like Miss Daisy it came as a shock.
Dreading the insurance bill next year for her.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #132 on: August 15, 2020, 04:40:19 AM »
That sounds really scary.  I'm glad she's basically ok, but, wow.  You must have been frantic thinking of how much worse it could have been.  Hopefully insurance will cover some of the replacement vehicle.  I hope she recovers soon.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #133 on: August 15, 2020, 04:47:56 AM »
insurance will offer something.
bit of a mental problem atm but shes back out on the road so all seems better
scared the hell out of us though

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #134 on: August 15, 2020, 08:44:34 AM »
Wow, glad everything turned out ok. Hope she got checked out at the hospital. Issues have a way of cropping up a few days later.
--dweez