Author Topic: What are you eating / What did you eat.  (Read 62216 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: What are you eating / What did you eat.
« Reply #120 on: October 28, 2019, 05:10:36 PM »
Found out Ramen can go bad. Very unpleasant.

Made a lame Rueben knockoff, then added Cholula to spice it up. I guess you could call it an "Angry Reuben"

You will need a toaster oven with a tray to make it the way I did, the pastrami drips.

Ingredients

Stupid roll - long kind. Preferably bigger than a hot dog bun. Sandwich roll, I think.
Pastrami, four slices
Swiss cheese, two slices
Hellman's burger sauce (Or Thousand Island, pretty much the same thing)
some Mayo.
Cholula sauce.

I actually broke my sandwich procedure, it's more of a mirror thing.
So first you spread the mayo on the bread, then squirt the burger sauce (or thousand island) on top of that. Then you rip the swiss cheese slices in half, longwise. You then shingle the roll so that the cheese covers the sauce. Then you put the pastrami on top of that.
You then realize that you forgot the cholula, peel everything off, and hit the bread with it. Go light with the mayo and burger sauce (or thousand island) you don't want it dripping out of the bun, the pastrami will be doing that anyway.
Reassemble the sandwich and place it on the toaster oven tray, Cook to desired crispiness.

It was good, but I had some heartburn in the morning.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #121 on: November 09, 2019, 07:05:55 AM »
{Not good sandwich.}

This one was a bit of a loss leader. First, the cheddar was on it's way out, and already didn't taste great, and I honestly should have tossed it out.

The bread, honestly, I can't fault the bread, it was the happiest ingredient in this not good sandwich.

The mayo - This was a mistake. I won't fault the mayo, it's good on it's own, but I made a mistake here

Cholula - much like the mayo, Cholula is fantastic, and is not to be faulted.

Gallo Salame. I love it, it's great, it's a heavy bless'ed mess on this sandwich, and I shouldn't have done this.

The tragedy unfolds...

I thought I had a great idea, I was wrong. I set a tray in the toaster oven to crisp up the salame like bacon, and it did that, just fine. Ate a test piece, got the seal of approval from my end.

I mentioned earlier, the cheddar wasn't doing so hot. I grated it, and tossed it in a container. That... was not a good idea.

Next the bread - buttermilk wheat, I had three pieces left so I decided to do a triple decker sandwich. I don't know why, I'm not a glutton, and I just reminded myself not to be a glutton with those shitty fries. I should have given my poor stomach a rest.

Instead, I made this ode to pain.

So we've got our toasty bread, we've got grated cheese, how can this be bent up? MAYO.

Oddly enough, Mayo can taste great on a hot sandwich. Sadly, this time was not one of those cases. I didn't want to bust out mustard, figured it was too busy.

So I mixed in Cholula, made the mayo pink. Spread it over the bread, NBD. WRONG, IT WAS A BIG DEAL, AND MADE THE SANDWICH SUCK.

I ran this through the toaster oven for 3 cycles, I wanted the bread to be crispy. Not a great plan, but this was not a great sandwich.

Honestly, the porky porkness of this sandwich ruined it, and made it suck. Everything else was a comedy of errors, aside from the cheese, which I choose to throw under the bus, so no one eats it.

Do not make this sandwich.

I figure, if one shares the triumphs of cooking, one should also share the failures. This one was mine. And I'm sorry.

I am now getting reviewed on my cooking skills on reddit because of this garbage sandwich.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 08:16:55 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2019, 03:44:25 PM »
Thanks for the warning.  I'm not a big fan of sandwiches.  I like to eat bread with a little butter or jam, but I generally prefer to eat the innards alone.

I'm making applesauce.  It feels like it's taking forever.  A neighbor has some pippins and they taste great, but it takes a long time to cook these.  Boil them for a short time, run them through a ricer and cook them again.  Then can them in jars.  I just don't have the energy today for some reason.  I started out all gung ho and then lost momentum.  I think I'll go for a walk and enjoy the sunlight while it lasts.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2019, 04:35:37 PM »
Last night was just cheese on a rather large brioche bun. I like those, but these ones were too big for a burger.

My tonsils hurt today, but we could never talk a doctor into scooping mine out. My cousin who is younger had hers out.

Maybe I'll do something with rice tonight, you've put that in my head. :P

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #124 on: November 10, 2019, 08:36:49 PM »
Rice is a useful staple to have around.  We sometimes sautee a diced onion with chili powder, cumin, some chipotle, and deglaze it with a little cooking sherry before dumping in a can of black beans.  We eat it w/grated cheese over rice.  Easy, nourishing and tasty.  And cheap.

The applesauce turned out really well.  We don't eat much so I'll probably give most of it away.  I can't pass by free fruit when I know it's really good fruit.   A neighbor gives away pippins every fall.  I usually come home with a big bag and cook them down, use the juice to make jelly and the pulp for applesauce.  The jelly is cooking down now.  It's a reduction of a pale whitish fluid to a really nice coral colored jelly that has a great flavor.  Apple juice, lemon juice & sugar.  And it tastes great. Who knew?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #125 on: November 10, 2019, 10:08:28 PM »
Got a hard NO on the rice, so I made spaghetti. For once there was enough sauce for my liking. I like a lot of sauce.

Just your standard crappy spaghetti, sauce from a jar, box o noodles, nothing fancy. We've finally got the roommate sufficiently trained that he doesn't "borrow" parmesan anymore, that used to be a problem.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #126 on: November 11, 2019, 12:19:35 AM »
I like Safeway's Arabbiata sauce.  Sometimes it's on sale for around 2 bucks.

Trader Joe's Pecorino Romano is good grated.  It's about $10 a pound, but a half pound goes a long way.  That's one way to keep the roommate away from it.  If he's lazy it's unlikely he's going to grab the chunk and grate it for his pasta.  You can just grate enough for the meal so as to remove temptation.

I finished all that jelly and it boiled down to about 7 cups from 22 ½.  That's distilling the essence for you.  It is a nice color and tastes like apples.  I'm tired from all that stirring.  We had "shake & bake" chicken thighs (we use Weber's seasoning on the thighs--it's a dry cajun rub--and just bake em for about an hour) and some baked potatoes and salad.  I am tired from not sleeping much yesterday so I'll probably kick back, watch French cops chase serial killers for a while and then turn in.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #127 on: November 14, 2019, 09:26:52 PM »
Dinner tonight was Cheese on fries, but that's not the important part.

I learned that I am a stupid, stupid person. Tortilla pizza is a thing, looks INSANELY easy, and I've NEVER ONCE considered making it. I've got everything I need in my fridge and counter RIGHT NOW.

Like, I'm guessing my attempt at a PB&J in a tortilla just put me off experimenting past "turn them into nachos" but WOW do I feel stupid right now.

Anyway, I'll probably make this tomorrow: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/258013/easy-tortilla-pizza/

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #128 on: November 27, 2019, 11:12:43 AM »
I'm having regular tea and a scone for breakfast but am steeling myself for pie bake a thon.  First:  pumpkin.  Then, tomorrow, apple tarte using pie crust recipe from Jacques Pepin.  We are invited for Thanksgiving dinner at a friend's house.

My oven runs hot.  It's a mid century gas range.  A great machine but I have to watch baked goods like a hawk so they don't burn.  I routinely reduce recommended temps in recipes by 25 degrees.  At least I don't have to cook the entire meal.

Other than the usual holidays on the Liturgical calendar, do Brits have similar holiday feasts to Thanksgiving?  The Canadians celebrate it. I was just wondering if there are like celebrations across the pond?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #129 on: November 27, 2019, 09:13:39 PM »
I've got a pumpkin pie, promised myself I wouldn't carve on it until the actual holiday.

Dinner tonight kinda sucked, it was this shredded chicken stuff in a bbq sauce. Sadly, it wasn't a good bbq sauce, really dragged the sandwiches down.

I used these long rolls, and just cut them in half like subway. Hit it with that absolutely fantastic cabot white cheddar on the top half, but it felt like a waste.

Like a shredded beef with a decent bbq sauce and some sliced onion, and dinner would have been fantastic. Why is it I never know what I WANT to eat, but always know exactly what is wrong with what I actually end up eating? It's not great, mentally.

We actually had desert tonight, mom had to pick up meds and rite-aid had 22 cent candy bars. The Reese's Outrageous bar is disgustingly sweet, but utterly fantastic.

Like, I'm a little grossed out I ate that much sugar, but I sure enjoyed eating it.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #130 on: November 27, 2019, 10:16:17 PM »
I also had a desire for sweets today.  I had a couple Halloween M&M fun size bags and after dinner a small dish of ice cream.  I have to bake those pies in the morning.  Lordy, I hope they turn out alright.  I had great plans to bake one tonight but I'm too tired.  I'll set the alarm tomorrow and bake away.  It will warm up the house, at least.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #131 on: December 02, 2019, 03:46:35 AM »
We've got a lot of leftovers from our two person thanksgiving, no one wants the turkey leg, I'm considering food processoring it for our six toothed dog. I had the broccoli, and some mashed potatoes with gravy last night.

Tonight I tried to spruce up the leftover mashed potatoes, but... I'm sick of them. I even mixed up new brown gravy for them, such a waste, I should have just dumped the gravy on toast and maybe cooked up the hamburger meat burrito style. True it'd not be chipped beef, but it might have been interesting! I found this weird potato puff recipe with cheese and egg, but realize I'd hash it if I tried, so I didn't. So I just sliced some white cabot cheddar and had a salad. The salad sucked. I don't get how I can buy the same bag salad every time, most of the time it's great, but sometimes it's just lousy. Salad Roulette is not a thing! It was fantastic last!

Meanwhile I've got some defrosted meat, some aging beans, and I really need to just clean the fridge up. But I'm sooo lazy!

Those potato egg things sounded grand, but I'm poo at baking, and I don't think I've got eggs.

Honestly, I wish I had the shredded chicken again, I've got some ideas. Not involving bbq sauce.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #132 on: December 02, 2019, 01:34:10 PM »
Turkey soup can be delicious.  We roasted a big fat old chicken last night.  5 pounds.  There was lots of meat and I suspect we will make soup from the remainder after a couple more meals from the meat.

Drumsticks are good for soup and flavoring broth.  I usually boil the carcass with leavings from the vegetables (ends of celery, potato peels, onion skins, etc.), strain it and then add to vegs and meat along with more commercial broth if the one I make isn't intense enough.  I'm probably making curried lentil soup today.  I usually bake buttermilk cornbread to go with it. It doesn't take long and it's good.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #133 on: December 12, 2019, 08:08:22 PM »
Enchilada bummer.

So, I normally handle the prep, and mom does the cook, this time she wanted more input, so I let her.

And the enchiladas got ruined. Specifically, you're supposed to put the enchilada sauce, 2 cloves of garlic, and 1 cup of onions in a blender, and reduce.

Instead she put onion and garlic in a food processor, and made what I am euphemistically referring to as "onion sauce".

It's gross, I hate it, and it ruined the enchiladas. And enchiladas are effort. Especially chicken, I used two forks to shred the chicken and it was the hardest time I've had at that ever.

Pretty much everything tastes good, but the onion sauce ruins it.

Don't make onion sauce. Just pulse until it's diced, do not go past that point. It's like a bitter, hate flavor.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #134 on: December 14, 2019, 11:29:49 PM »
I still haven't really fixed those hate filled enchiladas, instead I made cheesy hot dogs by sprinkling cheese over the top, and discovered I don't like my five cheese blend I picked up.

Like, I love jalapenos, I'll try food I don't like if they add jalapenos (The angry whopper was a pain filled experience, but I enjoyed it while eating it)

I think it's like all the bacon flavored poo that got put out, it just... isn't good like the genuine article. I feel the same way about most "bourbon" flavored products that aren't bbq sauce. A bourbon bbq sauce kicks things up a notch.

So yeah, the cheesy dogs are a fairly easy dinner, you shove hot dogs in the toaster oven and let them heat up, then you hit the bun with your shredded cheese blend.

I don't think that really requires a recipe, but you keep it in the toasty mosty until the bread goes golden. Then serve. I don't use condiments on them, I figure the cheese is sufficient window dressing.

I didn't really like it, but it's a dinner option. I wanted to do a salad, but most of the kits right now are on recall because the state can't figure out which of three ingredients is the Russian roulette winner for e-coli.

So, cheesedogs.

Honestly, I was tempted to make gigantic pigs in blanket, but grocery outlet didn't have any dough, and I want to make dough from scratch about as much as I wanted to replace my bathroom sink. God that was a nasty job.