Author Topic: What are you eating / What did you eat.  (Read 62256 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: What are you eating / What did you eat.
« Reply #300 on: September 12, 2021, 08:24:17 AM »
I love baked potatoes, and will often eat them at Wendy's when on a cross country drive if there are no alternatives.  Not a great diet option, but it could be worse.

We usually have them as a side to steamed vegs like broccoli, carrots, mushrooms.  I eat them with plain yogurt, butter and salt/pepper.  Cheap and satisfying.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #301 on: September 19, 2021, 12:13:37 AM »
I love baked potatoes, and will often eat them at Wendy's

i lived on them when in Florida

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #302 on: September 19, 2021, 03:39:42 PM »
Carrot sticks and hummos

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #303 on: September 24, 2021, 01:36:13 AM »
Group effort pizza, Mom made the dough (by popping a pillsbury tube) and I did the rest.
Nothing fancy, I put in about the same amount of effort. A couple tablespoons of ragu over the dough, pre-shredded mozzerella for the lazy factor, and some uncured pepperoni.

I enjoyed it more than most frozen pizzas, and the selection at Grolet has been less than inspriring lately, it's freshitty or Cauliflower crust.

I asked why most of their pizza is cauliflower crust, and was told it's a big seller.

One of the things I really liked about this pizza is it was done in 12 minutes flat, you have to pre cook the dough a bit, and then with the toppings on it was just another six in the oven at 450 f.

I'm not doing a very good job at cutting sodium, but the frequent dog walks have me losing weight.

I managed to snag a new variety of soup, but I'll save it for cooler weather.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #304 on: December 03, 2021, 02:12:37 PM »
I've been making applesauce.  Neighbors with trees groaning with worm eaten apples (this is a good thing because it means the fruit hasn't been sprayed with pesticides) often are happy to have one come take them away.  It's well worth the stiff neck from picking.

So I cut the wormy bits out, throw the chopped apples in a pot with water and lemon juice (skins on and cores intact),  bring to a boil, let it sit overnight and then run them through a ricer to extract the pulp.  Spoon off excess juice (for later apple jelly) and cook the pulp with more lemon, cinnamon, cardamon, and the minimum amount of sugar necessary for slight sweetness.  It cans well and will last for years.  We ate some today with latkes and it was delicious.  I have one more batch to make and I'll be done.  It's tiring, as one has to stir it pretty often and fuss over the flavor until it is just right.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #305 on: December 04, 2021, 12:34:03 AM »
Lovely, homemade apple sauce

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #306 on: December 26, 2021, 05:38:55 PM »
I ate an entire tin of bean dip without even realizing it.

We were watching a movie, and I just kept swiping chips through.

9 ounces. I feel like a glutton. :(

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #307 on: December 26, 2021, 07:54:57 PM »
Beans are really good for you.  They have protein and minerals and are a good source of fibre.  Eat up!  And don't feel guilty.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #308 on: January 16, 2022, 11:07:34 PM »
Got the wrong can of green enchilada sauce. They're near identical aside from a stupid thermometer graphic.
I like the mild, it's got a nice citrus flavor to it, tastes great. I bought the "hot" version, just tastes like capsaicin or green tabasco sauce.

Now I've a tray of enchiladas I don't really enjoy, but don't want to just throw out. Guess I'll have them as lousy lunches for a few days.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #309 on: January 17, 2022, 12:34:01 AM »
That's annoying.  Now you feel like you have to choke down the enchiladas or feel guilty for wasting food.

We had some Trader Joe's frozen Indian entrees for dinner because we were too busy/tired to cook.  They were out of our usual favorites so I figured I would try some new ones.  Lamb Vindaloo curry with rice and I had Shrimp curry over rice.  The sauces were mediocre.  We won't buy those again, but at least we checked them out.

The best are the Butter Chicken, Chana Masala, and Saag Paneer.  They were out of the first 2.  So many stores have large vacant spots on shelves.  It's bizarre.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #310 on: January 17, 2022, 03:29:24 AM »
Stores need to abandon JIT logistics. It was already pantsed by the initial Covid outbreak but is literally unsustainable as covid is not letting up.

JIT logistics only worked with a robust and functional distribution system backing it. That's not even physically possible anymore.

Hell, the fast-food restaurants are adapting to it, I'm seeing reduced menus everywhere.

I kept putting off a particular fast-food burger because it was atrociously unhealthy, but now I don't have the option, as they've cut the entire sub-menu.

I read a particularly bottom-ish interview with some executive from Mcdonalds. He was unconcerned but said that $30-$60 dinners are their target window.

Who in the golly wants to spend $60 at Mcdonalds?

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #311 on: January 17, 2022, 11:50:28 AM »
I give that restaurant a wide berth.  I think that with Safeway, part of the problem is that Covid continues to cause interruptions in the supply chain.  They have a huge warehouse (with its own wind turbine) about an hour and a half to the southeast so, in theory, we shouldn't suffer from such shortages.  But when people get sick who are responsible for the transportation of those goods and there aren't enough substitute drivers, warehouse workers, etc. things don't move.

There were 3 packages, total, of bath tissue in the store yesterday.  No canned tomatoes, period.  Other banks of shelving completely empty of goods.

The public is partially responsible for not respecting the workers in the stores.  I was in line at the Safeway yesterday when the guy behind me in line lowered his mask so he could cough.  I laid into him.  He told me to mind my own business.  I countered, "I AM minding my own business!  You are endangering my health." 

He continued in a vein that indicated that he was a genuine nutcase.  I told him there was something wrong with him and went on to check out.  He looked sickly, with a greyish tone to his skin, and was strangely combative in a community where public courtesy is the norm.

Sadly, I only had to put up with this jerk for a short time, but the kind, helpful staff who have to spend 8-10 hours in that environment every day have no option but to deal with it.  His behavior affected many more people than me.  All I can say is that I'm grateful there are people who come to work every day, no matter what's on the shelves.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #312 on: January 23, 2022, 02:32:07 AM »
Hot dogs.

Made me retroactively fond of the overly spicy enchiladas.

At least they're used up, no more lackluster hot dogs in the fridge.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #313 on: January 23, 2022, 11:57:27 PM »
I got some vegan sausages that were on sale.  I'm working up the courage to try them. 

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #314 on: January 24, 2022, 02:32:30 AM »
compressed bean paste log! So unmarketable, we compare them to meat!

Sorry, that's mean of me. I had a friend who would swap out hot dogs at bbq's for morning star dogs. She stopped being invited to things.

Have you ever had a blooming onion? I haven't, but I've always wanted one. Making one at home seems stupid.